Responsive Text For All Screen Sizes

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to . . .

Without responsive text, it is far too difficult to create user interfaces using text that work on various screen sizes. This is the same reason why websites now use responsive text.

If Roblox is able to address your issue, how would it improve your game and/or your development experience? Please be as specific as possible.

We need responsive text that automatically scales with the size of the screen.
This would be similar to web design in which you set a relative font size, and it automatically resizes the font proportionally to the screen size. The text automatically resizes and looks good on any device size from a computer to a phone.

Currently this is not possible in Roblox. Fonts in Roblox are in absolute sizes (points). For example, a font that is 24 points may be the correct size for a computer screen, but look way too large on a mobile screen. This is a huge limitation and makes working with text for various screen sizes nearly impossible.

With responsive text, I would be able to easily design layouts with text that work on all screen sizes.

6 Likes

This already exists. Its a property of most GUI items, and its called TextScaled image

1 Like

Not sure if this is what he means, but using TextScaled can look bad;
It reaches from top to bottom.
People would usually want it to look something like this;
Which is why I usually just insert another TextLabel inside the button or whatever I’m using, and set it’s Y Size to like 0.7 and then I can get the results I want with TextScaled.

9 Likes

Which is why you use UITextSizeConstraint :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Oh true. I never use any of them constraints or any other UI instances tbh xd.

There’s his solution I guess.

1 Like

I’ve been slowly working on adding them to my workflow. They’re very helpful, it’s just odd getting used to at first after doing things a specific way for such a long time

1 Like

I don’t think I’ll ever use them, since I never have any problems making UIs. A lot of simple solutions for small problems like this.

It’s much easier utilizing these over scripting stuff by yourself, like UIListLayout and UIGridLayout. I remember programming my own before they existed and it took a lot of time out of my day to fix everything about it.

As for simple things like what you’re talking about, it’s still good to use them so you can get the best results for all screen sizes.

1 Like

Forgot to mention; the only one that I do use is UIGridLayout, and sometimes UIListLayout. I got used to not using UIListLayout/UIGridLayout when it was glitchy & the contents which used UIGridLayout got stuck behind, and it was messing up my UIs. (I was kinda inexperienced then, around a year or so ago)

TextScaled is not quite the same thing. That property allows me to fit text within a given container. For example, if the text was too long or big, it would get reduced in size to fit. I have little control over the actual size of the resulting text.

But what I really need is for the text to be proportionally sized independent of the device which you are viewing it on. That way if I design a text layout on a computer, it would look just as good an a mobile device with all the text being proportioned down is size properly.

5 Likes

I could try using this constraint to add an upper and lower limit to the font size, but I really would rather just be able to set a responsive text size and have the text auto scale up and down according to the screen dimensions.

2 Likes

What I really want is to have the ability to turn on TextScaled without the text automatically wrapping. :confused:

13 Likes