Restricting minor features by user Age

The chat filter already prevents players from providing their real age and developers don’t have access to users’ real age, so what other “age” can we be possibly dealing with?

It doesn’t literally say real-age, I don’t know why you’re still disputing this.
You already said this your self.

And as Hexcede said:

And so, it’s not the chat filter we’re talking about. This is an easy way to filter out some exploiters.

Unless a Roblox moderator wants to jump in and clarify I see no reason to continue this discussion if we’re going to be repeating our self.

Roblox employees are legally not allowed to comprehend the ToS for us(as I’ve read), I wouldn’t expect much.

My point is not the chat filter, my point is there’s no other possible age that can be exposed to the public other than account age, which narrows down the ToS issue.

I’m gonna stop here, we have our own perspectives on the matter. This is going into circles as you’ve mentioned.

My take of it is that a user says their age in chat and then a game owner bans them, or makes fun of them.

Once again, we’re not going to get scarification… Nice talk, have a good day! Maybe we can argue again sometime :rofl:

I’ve seen models like Epix Admin (EISS) be adjusted as per Roblox’s request for having account age requirements; this in combination with the overwhelming consensus in the developer community that age requirements appear to be against the community rules.

1 Like

Really? If you look about one line up, it makes it very clear what it’s talking about when it says age.

We have users of all ages and we want to create safe environment for all of them, including children.

Including children definitely refers to actual age. I’m sure the rules would specify if they were suddenly changing their definition of “age” partway through.

3 Likes

Number 4 is for child endagerment, not discriminatory actions. I’ll treat those as separate.

The chat filter does not prevent minors from 13-18 from providing their real age. Those users are still children. Regardless, the rules would be more specific if they had suddenly changed the definition of age that was consistently used throughout the rest of the article.

2 Likes

So are you saying you’d filter out players 13 and above? I’m considering what the previous OP wants to achieve.

But they’re not specific enough. Account Age is still a type of Age. Until the ToS can clarify further, Age is still defined too general to make any conclusions.

dh226y3
Based on the context of which this is posted in, this means real age.

In my opinion it seems okay to have a script restricting based on account age. I know hundreds of games which do it (this is especially prevalent in roblox communities)

You also need to realise if this is true then games such as: https://www.roblox.com/games/4669056864/Flex-Your-Account-Age
Would also not be allowed.

ToS context is defined by you until you consult a lawyer or the ToS makes it specific. I’d rather stick to a general concept than speculations.

Why not? Account Age is publicly available information, if this wasn’t allowed then they wouldn’t create API for everyone to access this. Unless the game has some sort of discriminatory feature, I’d say it’s perfectly fine.

You’ve just contradicted yourself. I agree that it is most likely allowed as they made it publicly available! Therefore limiting games based on account age is probably allowed. However, if you argue that it is discrimination then that game which gives users benefits for their account age would also be discrimination to those who have lower account ages and can’t get those items.

The game has a completely different purpose lol

it just shows your account age in a billboard gui. No discrimination is happening at all. @wevetments did not contradict himself

No I have not. It’s completely your responsibility on how you choose to use the API. The ToS has changed over time, so it’s arguable if the API has any use in the present that doesn’t violate the ToS.

You can even access a user’s physical location with Localization Service and expose/filter if you wanted to. Any discriminatory actions on that would fall under National origin.

This thread has gotten detailed from its original purpose. The question has already been answered and I was not referring to kicking for account age but rather disabling minor features that could be exploited or abused with mass account creation.

All the replies starting from here, doing down have been moved by @Sergeant_Roach from this thread to this thread.

I can understand a request from Roblox to adjust it in that case as it could potentially be limiting, but no matter where I look I am unable to find where in the ToS/guidelines it states that AccountAge limits are not allowed. If this were against ToS I’m very sure that it’s widespread usage would be addressed by Roblox. If it were against Roblox guidelines many many many games are currently breaking ToS.

As I said, if a dev makes the choice to add an AccountAge limit, really don’t go above 7 days if you’re going to add a limit otherwise you’re driving away new players and defeating the purpose of it. What would be better for rpgs I feel is doing something such as muting the players chat, hiding their character except to staff, etc and having a staff member verify said user.

And again, I don’t really agree with using AccountAge limits for exploits, instead you should implement proper security, always server sided movement checks, and especially for a game with simple movements like an rpg. It’s much much more effective to do it this way than blocking out all new accounts.

3 Likes

Clients have the authority to state their AccountAge, MembershipType, OsPlatform, etc; to the server. An easy way to see this happen is by using a network analyzer/fiddler (it’s a replication thing). Also, this has been proven in the past and still is an on-going issue. It would be great if we could have a Roblox engineer comment on this issue.

Edit: for those who are worried about this, I recommend you use a custom AccountAge/MembershipType implementation.

2 Likes

@ConvexHero can you explain why clients have the authority to tell the server what their AccountAge and MembershipType are? This is causing major issues in some games, and it’d be great if you could do something about this. I don’t see any reason why they should be the ones deciding those two things.

no! this is like saying “oh your new to roblox so I guess you can’t play my game”
also group recruting plaza did a very simlar thing banning people who are in certain groups, that does not go well.