Retaining High Fidelity Images

does that mean no more low quality images??? yaay!!! :happy3:

9 Likes

Finally, been waiting like 4 years

5 Likes

IT’S HAPPENED. Now you can make a texture map of the whole city. Or at least at home.

4 Likes

It’d be very nice if we had the ability to update assets in general, not just for this edge case.

If I could update textures I’d likely save a lot of wasted storage for Roblox when testing and tweaking new textures. As I don’t think archived assets are TRULY deleted.

8 Likes

Will this include Group Logo icons?

It might be just me, but over the past months (year?) the image quality went down slightly.

8 Likes

I appreciate that we now have access to 1024+ textures. However, I have a few questions about the future of textures:

Will we eventually see an introduction of UDIMs?

Will there be better support for low-resolution textures without pixel interpolation?

Overall this update is huge though!

15 Likes

Already having 4k is so good but now you are giving us 8k? We feel spoiled !And what will mobile gamers do?

6 Likes

I know this is unrelated to the textures, which by the way I think is an amazing change to make, but I just have to ask, will the screen recorder get the same change because it’s just horrendous and hasn’t been updated, at all.

6 Likes

Does this mean that soon we will be able to import higher resolution ui elements?

6 Likes

Would we be able to update existing items like accessories and other items that cannot be updated normally without reuploading the item? And would this also mean we are getting some adjustments to the graphical settings going beyond just ten bars for everything- like adjusting the texture resolution, ambient occlusion, render distance, PBR, etc?

5 Likes

Thank you! This will be so exciting!

5 Likes

Roblox’s graphics settings are abysmal even compared to the industry standards of 10 years ago. A single setting that affects unimportant factors is very unhelpful.

There should be separate settings for render distance, roblox material resolution, player-made decal resolution (perhaps allow players to set a resolution cap so that any materials above that resolution are compressed down locally, i.e. a player can set the cap at 2k so 4k and 8k textures etc. are compressed down to 2k, while textures at or below 2k resolution are unaffected)

7 Likes

This is an amazing update. Asides from high-res materials and whatnot, this also allows for massively upscaled images to have the same regular resolution at the intended scale. However, I have one concern: Memory usage.

Currently, there’s no set in stone way to just say “I want this image to be loaded into memory and I want this image to be unloaded”. In almost all round-based games w/ multiple maps, images are a pain point, because they’ll linger in memory for a while. The same issue occurs with audio as well.

Are there any plans to allow for developers to unload images?

12 Likes

I hugely agree that developers should be able to manually control what assets are loaded or unloaded, as it would allow developers to massively optimise loading times and memory usage.

5 Likes

does it work with pbr textures

5 Likes

I’m begging for the Rebirth of Classic Clothing that’ll allow Higher Resolution uploads, in Bigger Sizes, or just in-general stops botching the clothing like decals (used to be) before this update.

6 Likes

Will this affect viewportframes?

Char limit

5 Likes

Does this also mean that image rendering have been optimized on the engine side? It’s great to have 8k images but it’s pretty useless if you can only have 2-3 without it taking up a lot of your memory usage.

3 Likes

This is an update I did not expect. This will be absurdly useful, hopefully people use it wisely as to not annihilate everyone’s RAM

Also, is this going to be supported for Materialvariants and Surfaceappearances?
Also also, does this mean screenshots and editableimages can go higher than 1k as well?

6 Likes

Will Roblox be taking any steps on introducing some kind of LOD or any other optimizations for these resolutions? I can imagine performance issues quickly becoming a problem.

Maybe some resolution markers on the toolbox would be appreciated for filtering out search queries.

And if the higher resolutions become a thing for UGC as well, it’ll definitely become a problem for servers with higher playercounts.

4 Likes