Retaining High Fidelity Images

omg yay

but do images downscale to device spec in experience?

4 Likes

In a part this is great news
In another part, my GPU with 2GB of VRAM is not gonna enjoy this with big maps

5 Likes

This is great. Itā€™s nice seeing Roblox release an update that requires trust in their uses to be careful when using, as in the past they usually prefer to go the safe yet downgraded way. Anyways, as others have mentioned, it would be pretty reasonable to introduce a LOD system for high resolution images (>1k), to ensure this can utilized while not destroying performance too much.

5 Likes

Iā€™m looking forward on how would this be optimized in the future if >1K images will be released fully. High-res textures can be costly and thatā€™s the concern Iā€™ve had when going over 1K images.
There are already some optimization measures already, but I donā€™t think this applies to textures/decals?

4 Likes

While on the topic of higher quality images, is there any chance we may see support for vector image types for ā€œinfiniteā€ resolution? This would be nice for simple icons and shapes across different display sizes.

29 Likes

What are the exact dimensions for the new limit when it comes to uploading? The current limit was 1024x1024.

7 Likes

for PBR Texture, can you also add height on the material texture, to make it more quality

7 Likes

nice!!! glad weā€™re getting these types of updates

6 Likes

Will this apply to video too?

One of the downsides of videos was the quality, especially for the price to upload a video.

I know high quality videos take a lot to stream in or download but Iā€™m just wondering how this will work.

6 Likes

THIS IS AWESOME!!! FINALLY!

I have two questions about this:

1. Are images going to be downscaled and/or is any optimization within the Roblox engine going to happen to make images perform better on lower end devices while retaining fidelity in high end devices?

2. If so, would there be any way to force the full quality version of a high resolution image? e.x. a 4k resolution map UI people can zoom into without it looking blurry.

8 Likes

I find this curious, I havenā€™t seen an update for images for a long time, do you think they will give native support for SVG files in a future? :thinking:

5 Likes

Iā€™m assuming that since itā€™s 8k, itā€™s going to be 8192x8192 in size.

5 Likes

Salut,

Super nouvelle ! Je pense tester des rendus en 2048, mais pas besoin dā€™aller plus haut, haha. Je pense que 2048 est dĆ©jĆ  un bon compromis pour les gros modĆØles. :grinning:

2 Likes

LESS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO we have beenn waiting for this for so long

1 Like

Great update. Though I hope that texture quality slider will be added to the settings menu.

1 Like

you know what this means? man face 8K. :cold_face:

This is going to be super useful for PRB textures! since we canā€™t tile any of the maps (roughtness, metallic, normalā€¦) we can now tile the image ourselves and upload it without losing quality, it would be nice that tiling those maps was added, but with this im more than happy!

with 8k textures people might make games more realistic than real life

Are there any plans on improving or giving us more control over texture compression? This issue has been present for a year now and has still not been resolved.

This is a 1024x1024 texture:

I understand this was done for both memory and performance reasons, but we as developers should have the ability to choose if we want textures to be compressed, even if it comes with a cost. Surface Appearance should have RenderFidelity (Automatic, Performance, Precise) similar to Meshes, where performance would be compressed and Precise is uncompressed. I donā€™t see the advantages of high-resolution images if theyā€™re still compressed.

8 Likes

This is something Iā€™d love to know about as well! Even if it is raised to just 2K, thereā€™s so much more you can do with that resolution compared to 1K

1 Like