Retaining High Fidelity Images

[Update] June 28, 2024

Hi Creators,

We are excited to announce that we have started storing higher fidelity images exceeding 1k resolution to improve the user experience, beginning soon with the Creator Store.

Previously, any images uploaded to our platform that exceeded 1k resolution were downsized. In response to community feedback, we are now preserving images uploaded at resolutions up to 8k.

We will initially be surfacing high-resolution images for previews for Creator Store assets, allowing creators to better highlight their high-quality assets. Over time, we will continue to expand the surfaces on which we display high-resolution images. Ultimately, we hope to allow assets and experiences to leverage high-resolution textures. However, we want to be thoughtful about their performance impact before doing as we want to make high-resolution images a benefit to all users.

As all new images will be preserved in their full-resolution (up to 8k), future expansions will require no additional action on the creator’s part.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you!

460 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 9 minutes.

Hopefully there are plans to expand this to Images for Group Icons/Emblems! The quality for those are not the best & very grainy, it could definitely use this upgrade.

58 Likes

Does this update affect UGC accessories such as hat accessories, layered clothing and bundles, will support 8k+ textures?

Like can you upload an accessory that is over 1024x1024 right now?

45 Likes

This is such an awesome update and has been a feature request since all the way back in 2016:

It’s so nice to see Roblox coming in line with other game engines in this regard and I’m sure it’ll be lovely to see crisper, higher quality images across the website and in experiences. Can’t wait!

Just to clarify, what is meant by
“Creator Store” assets? Do these include things like badge icons and experience thumbnails, or just the image previews of Creator Store assets? Some extra info on this would be awesome, as well as any timelines you have in regards to when this will be rolled out to experiences.

38 Likes

im so excited!!!
ive been waiting for this for SO LONG

30 Likes

Woah? 8K? Now only pbr for ugc accessories and we’re set! Great update

31 Likes

Does this mean that surface appearance will look a lot better rather than compressed compared to TextureID?

21 Likes

Seeing the eventual memory peaks from the textures when this gets release in game will be insane.

Finally, a step towards the sweet sweet visual fidelity that Roblox has been lacking on and deserves. Can’t wait for a beta / full release in experiences!

29 Likes

I’m guessing this means that those assets before now will stay at the downsized 1k resolution. Will we be able to replace those images/decals with the intended higher-quality textures in the near future?

16 Likes

its about time. been waiting too long for this. less complaining however and glad the change has come. awesome sauce

15 Likes

Literally the best update ever for spritesheet uses. Can’t wait for this to become fully available.

22 Likes

I surely hope the push for integrating automated optimizations of high fidelity images would be pushed in the future! 8K sounds like a lot!

13 Likes

finally i can have my 8k pictures of skibidi toilet for my simulator!!!

20 Likes

Damn, i wouldve been completely fine with 4k but 8k? hopefully that doesnt kill roblox servers or anything lol

Not complaining tho, thank you roblox

10 Likes

I CAN HAVE A HIGH RESOLUTION MINIMAP OMG YES THANK YOU. This is great.

16 Likes

Question though, what about client/server sided memory? Are these optimized enough that we shouldn’t worry about using up to 8k resolution images?

12 Likes

This shouldnt kill Roblox servers or such because Roblox automatically downgrade image resolution if your PC cannot handle it soo thats not a big issue.

18 Likes

Assuming when they release these for experiences, they might either show textures as they are without downscaling (rip memory) or have a downscaling thing in runtime like the person above said.

Either way, let’s hope they cook properly.

9 Likes

Great to see such an update!

Can’t wait to see more than just pixels :smiley:

7 Likes