Retargeting bends the character arms

Folks, thanks for all the great feedback! I think I understand your concerns better now and I have a few ideas how to make this system work (and look) better for you, Stay tuned.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I have a quick update. Based on your feedback, we’ve made a few retargeting changes that should help to minimize the issues mentioned on this thread. The update tries to lower the impact of retargeting between similar rigs while still applying the necessary corrections when going between very different rigs (like from a-pose to t-pose). For example, you should now see less adjustment happening to the idle pose in various the examples posted above. This is for both the arms and legs.

Please let us know if you have any comments, questions or concerns.

3 Likes

By any chance is this a flag that was just released a few minutes ago? Noticing some things broke in my game.

edit: bug report on it here Tool Welding Causing Teleporting and other Weird Behavior

It was released in the last hour or so. Let me take a look…

We are reverting the retargeting changes while we investigate. Apologies.

5 Likes

There was a separate issue causing the tool teleporting bug. That change was reverted and I believe the issue has been resolved.

We will try to get the retargeting changes back in tomorrow, I will follow up in another update. Thanks for the patience and the quick feedback that something was wrong!

3 Likes

Hello again, the retargeting changes have been turned on once again. Let us know if you see any new issues or have comments/questions.
Cheers!

2 Likes

Hello, I tried it now and it is much better than before. :+1:

Feedback: This bug had been ongoing since August 2022, I think such a major visual bug should have started to be fixing faster.

gif_retargeting

Edit:

Woman Bundle comparison:

woman_rig_retargeting

4 Likes

Thank you for taking a look, much appreciated!

1 Like

Does that also apply to avatar editor in the app?

It should work in the avatar editor, if not let me know. However, not every platform has updated yet, for instance, iOS doesn’t have it yet (coming soon). PC/Mac/Android should be working though.

1 Like

I noticed that it still doesn’t look well with tool swing animation (roblox sword swing animation with upper arm only)

Hi Lvie, I don’t believe the tool animations have been updated to support retargeting yet. Most of the default animations don’t currently have it enabled and will require an additional update.

We will follow up soon with details about republishing these assets to fully support retargeting.

This is the animation I reuploaded and removed lower arm and hand tracks, is there a way to make it work properly with retargeting at the moment?

Sure, for an animation to support retargeting it needs to contain the source AnimationRigData it was authored on. This allows us to compute the difference between the source and target rigs for fixup.
So you could download the tool animation and manually place a AnimationRigData object. Or you can create a new animation in the editor (all new animations will automatically create the rig data).

For example:

However, you may not see a big change on this character due to the latest retargeting update. To improve the other issues on this thread we try to minimize the fixup applied. So, we’ll have to see how it looks.

1 Like