Rework the Rthro -> Classic downscaling to produce consistent classic character proportions

A common complaint I’ve seen of developers who stick to using R6 over R15 is the inconsistency of hitboxes and avatar proportions. Currently, Rthro scales down to classic proportions using a fixed scale table that does not differ from character to character.

In analyzing this problem, I came up with a solution that I feel leans in a much better direction. Instead of using fixed scaling tables, I think the skeleton of the avatar should be analyzed to refit the character’s proportions. A good procedure I’ve found for this is as follows:

• Measure the distance between the LeftHipRigAttachment and RightHipRigAttachment in the LowerTorso, scale the torso width so these attachments are two studs apart.
  • Measure the height difference of the hips to the neck, rescale the height of the torso so the height is 2 studs.
  • Measure the neck attachment’s height against the hat attachment, scale to have a height of 1 stud.
  • Measure the height of the shoulders to the grip attachments in each arm, scale the arms so their heights equals 2. Also analyze the angle of the arms and straighten them if needed,
  • Measure the height of the hips to the foot attachments, scale the legs to have a height of 2 studs.

The end result should be something like this:

It won’t be 100% perfect all the time, but it’s much closer to the classic proportions than they are currently. No more big Rthro heads becoming giant, arm/leg spans that are much more consistent, just some funny short lil dudes.

70 Likes

This is still a pretty big need with UGC avatars; some avatars squish down super tiny when trying to use classic scaling

4 Likes