RichText strokes don't fade out with TextTransparency

I was creating a module that allows you to easily create chat tags and such but I realized when you specify a stroke in a chat message (ie using the stroke tag), the stroke does not fade out while the rest of the chat does, leaving only an outline:

As @bvetterdays mentioned, this is an issue related to TextTransparency, it isn’t exclusive to the TextChatService:

Repro steps
1- Add a stroke to a TextChatService message using TextChatService.OnIncomingMessage.
2- Send a message and wait for the chat to fade out completely
3- Observe that the stroke remains while the rest of the text does not.

Repro file
tcs.rbxl (52.9 KB)

System info
AMD Ryzen 5 5600G With Radeon Graphics @ 3.9GHz
48GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz (47.9 usable)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070Ti

Expected behavior

Stroke should fade out with the rest of the chat.

5 Likes

The game is just saying hello. Don’t be rude >:(

All jokes aside, I can confirm this is an issue and definitely should be addressed. I assume it is because it has the same behaviour as the text-based GUI elements and Roblox forgot.

1 Like

This is an issue with RichText as a whole, not just the chat. My game has been plagued by this issue for a while but have never gotten around to filing a bug report.

3 Likes

This definitely needs to be addressed. The only workaround for GUI text objects is to use UIBorder instead of RichText, but even that is restrictive

3 Likes

Bumping this topic as I have recently started to have this problem aswell. It looks horrible in game and needs to be sorted ASAP

1 Like

This was re-reported and actually got a staff response here indicating a ticket was filed: Chat does not tween text stroke transparency when going transparent

You might have better luck following up there

2 Likes

It would be nice if we could also have UIStroke reflect TextTransparency, just like TextStrokeTransparency. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Just asked the engineers for an update on this one, we’ll update y’all as soon as we can.

1 Like