Ro-Tasks: Speed up and change your workflow

Introduction

We all know the issue of forgetting where we left off and if we commented stuff, where to find it back. Atleast I know i have. In the last week I’ve come up with an eligant sollution for this.
I would like to introduce to you; Ro-Tasks

Ro-Tasks

Ro-Tasks is an easy implementation of noting down tasks and getting to see them visually in the plugin. The plugin allows you to set a task header and body alongside from it jumping directly to the line when clicked on.

make sure to comment the line first to prevent errors in your script, it does register a line without comment but that should be common sense.

Usability

you don’t need to do anything complicated, simply comment your line, put in the syntax of your preference (>>, >?, >!) write down the header, end the header ( : ) and write down the body. like so:

-- >>My Header: Some specific body

that’s it. nothing more, nothing less. Easy right?
Want to see it in action before getting the plugin? Sure thing! take a look at the video!

https://streamable.com/4yybj

(if the video doesn’t work use this link: https://streamable.com/4yybj)

The plugin will get more features in the future such as;
component searching, which is basically selecting if you’re searching on priority, header, body or even script names.

Documentations
Syntax Description Color code
>> Low priority. ¹ Green
>? Medium Priority. ¹ Blue
>! High priority. ¹ Red
: End of the task’s title
#$ Makes the plugin ignore the task on the same line
#ignore Makes the plugin ignore the whole script
#scene allows selective searching for objects, when implanted it will select the parent of the script and open the script on the defined line. ²
#editor Opens the script at the line of the comment. ²
¹ Will become customizable in the future; ² when neither of these are used it will be given globally to all selections
Patch Notes
Version Patch Date
1.0.0 Initial release February 15th 2020. 9:15 am UTC
1.1.0 Added selective searching February 16th 2020. 12:20 am UTC
1.1.1 Fix attempt in the major lag occurrence when typing in scripts February 16th 2020. 12:40 am UTC
1.2.0 Builders now have a proper use of this plugin, the task select and goes to the parent model/part when clicked (opening the task script is optional) February 16th 2020. 11:40 am UTC
1.2.1 Fixed and tested for the lag issue. Updating now has a slight delayed response. not enough to visually get disgusted February 16th 2020. 4:40 pm UTC
2.0.0 See major Tasks update February 18th 2020. 3:45 pm UTC
2.0.1 Small auto task updater fix February 18th 2020. 4:41 pm UTC
2.0.2 Performance boost & disabled tasks during playtime March 13th 2020. 6:06 pm UTC
2.1.0 Light theme support March 15th 2020. 12:55 pm UTC
2.1.1 Saving initial state when exiting play mode/studio March 21th 2020. 12:56 pm UTC

Get Ro-Tasks Here

Do let me know what other features you would like to see, every bit of feedback is appreciated!

38 Likes

Does this support multi-line? If it doesn’t currently that would be very helpful to add!

1 Like

I think you should expand this to being also used for building, it would be cool to have a small to-do list while working alongside the game. I would imagine some kind of text input with a button to create and remove certain tasks.

1 Like

@Sluethen yes it supports multi-line. the video does demonstrate both single line comments and multi line comments.
@Solar_Wraith I will most certainly look into that.

2 Likes

Whoops! Missed that in the preview. Thanks for the response

@VoidedBIade Looking back at it, It doesn’t support multi-line. See picture

1 Like

If this supported team create me and the Alterdrift team would definitely switch.

It should supports team create. as it just registers comments with specific marks in scripts. just make sure you save the edits in the script so it pops up for everyone.

2 Likes

How neat, do you see this as the final form or do you intend to add any website cross-functionality or other?

1 Like

other than the features that are yet to come I am currently making a Visual Studio Code add-in with the same functionality as a lot of people use rojo for their projects, I’ll be sure to announce the release of that and the other features when they arrive.

2 Likes

Great plugin!

Though there’s a pretty serious issue where it freezes studio for 10 seconds for every letter that I type. I would definitely look into that!!

2 Likes

This issue should be fixed as of the new update. This update includes selective searching that is usable for builders too as suggested by @Solar_Wraith. (see update logs in the OP)

Major Update

So a rather convenient update has been pushed to the plugin, this will needs quite some explaining on how this exactly functions, what to do and what you shouldn’t do.

So what is this supposedly major update? well… MULTI-LINE SUPPORT is here. Put in any text into the task section, who cares how long it is! To demonstrate I grabbed a generated Lorem Ipsum text into the multi-lined comment section.

So what things should you do and what things shouldn’t you do?

Do:

• make sure the text is below or above the title end suffix( : ) or both. why not put the title and task prefix in the middle? it’s not like it’ll make a difference in your work flow other than convenience!
  • Use as much space as you want. it has a support of over 10k lines per card (absurd, but if you need it why not)
  • want to create a new multiline card? make a new multi-line comment.

Don’t:

• Putting a multi-line task on a single line (why even would you?)
  • Starting with the text on the same line as the title.
  • making a second multi-line card in the same multi-line comment as a different card.

Functionality of the card is the same as all the other cards, clicking it will either direct you to the title of the card or the object depending on the scope (#editor, #scene or no scope)

v2.0.0
3 Likes