Roblox’s Algorithm Changes Are Killing Our Game

We’re seeing the same in SCP: Roleplay.

Our number is similar (about 75%), and unfortunately this seems to have reflected on CCU as well.

2 Likes

For me it has earned me about 200K robux in revenue, on the 8th of October Roblox promoted my game because I noticed massive change in player count and now I’m earning bank, I wouldn’t necessarily say this is good for the majority of the community but for a small chunk.

This game was released late 2022 and never received any traction even after sponsoring it. But back around this past August I decided to try sponsoring this game again and it took off as you can see in the stats above…for a few weeks. I have another game that was released not long ago as well and it also witnessed the same fate. A large boost of players for a little while, then a HEAVY drop off. This is very discouraging for developers as you feel like you are doing everything in your power to meet Roblox’s “expectations” with Retention, Monetization, Playtime, etc, yet it all seems to have almost no effect on the growth of your game.

So my question for the staff who are reading this is what do you recommend us developers do moving forward? How can we adapt to these changes? You have seen in this thread many developers of HUGE games, some of which have been out for YEARS with no issue, now suddenly losing upwards of 75% of their player base. This is leaving a lot of uncertainty of the stability of the platform.

5 Likes

Also seeing this happen on my game over at here.
Multiple unexplained drops for seemingly no given reason, and once it does pick back up, it’s never to the same level as before. The only exception I can see is the Halloween period, which we did an update for. These metrics are for the past 60 days, and especially recently has it been rough. I can also see the before-mentioned Oct 16 drop clearly on the graph.

With the new ads update about to drop on us, sponsored ads are not worth the price anymore. They can do a little saving for a few hours, but after a day or so, metrics fall FAST.

Is Roblox’s algorithm really willing to let the games of developers die like this? Some of us have rent to pay, just saying.

7 Likes

my games are losing players every week. one of my games used to get 1.3k players on average and now it barely hits 700 and reaches 100 ccu at night. its baffling. Daily revenue went from 100k on bad days to like 50k or so ON AVERAGE. there is zero sign of growth on any of my games.

the new algorithm only really promotes new games and tosses out older ones. it’s not fair. please fix it

7 Likes

Oh. Glad I found this post, as I thought we were the only ones suffering with this. We have lost roughly half of our player base over a period of 3 months with a sharp decline over August to September which matches directly to the sharp drop in Impressions for that time period.

Poop Simulator used to be in the top 3 search results for the past 2 years when searching the term “poop” (yeah not great I know), yet we have annoyingly dropped to position 73.

We are in the middle of doing a huge revamp of Monkey Poop, but again it has slipped from the top 3 for the search term “monkey”, down to position 16.

Is it worth putting the hundreds of hours in to develop the game further when games are being hobbled by the Search function once again.

This is not the first time Roblox have messed up the Search algorithms.

1 Like

I personally think that Roblox needs to bring back the game genre selector or something equivalent to it. I remember easily being able to find different small games through the genre categories.

As someone who hasn’t opened the Discovery page in months, I can probably 100% say with certainty that most of the current top front page games were there 6 months ago.

1 Like

I dont mean to be that guy, but this is my third time bumping this post.

This has affected me and a ton of other developers, and the stats speak for themselves. Revenue has been cut down to 30% of what it used to be, CCU is lowering week-over-week with no recovery in sight, and it shows up really low in search. It’s really frustrating for me and many other developers. I’m being extremely redundant here since I’ve made this exact post on multiple other occasions.

Let’s take a look at this post by who I consider to be the top dev on the platform, Preston. Why the hell does a top developer on the platform have this issue? Or, lets take a look at the 51 other individual posts clearly outlining downward trends in impressions / stats. I dont think these affected developers are very happy.

Not just developers are upset too - players and the top creators on youtube are not happy either.

Now, lets take a look at the half-assed response by a staff member here. Is this supposed to be an out-of-season april fools joke? Im not laughing. Here’s an accurate depiction of my face as of me typing this, in emoji form. :neutral_face: Could we please get a second response that actually addresses the problem?

There is no clear solution to this - but I hope the algorithm is reverted to a previous state or that affected developers can have some sort of compensation (be it in search algorithm priority or whatnot). The response outlined above should not be a final response and I highly encourage all affected developers to continue bumping this post for the foreseeable future. Thanks for reading

4 Likes

I wish Roblox was transparent about their algorithm changes.

Overnight my game reduced to 10% Home acquisition. Two weeks later it suddenly decides to recover, so I’m back to doing alright. We need to know ahead of time when the algorithm is going to change, and what we should do differently to appease it. This isn’t the first time I looked at my analytics and saw things changing quickly and significantly without any obvious cause on my end.

I was left not knowing if I was beginning to see the end of my primary source of income or what specifically to do about it. That is not okay.

9 Likes

Same for my games, they seem to be recovering now, albeit very slowly and are nowhere near what they were at before the drop. Just hoping they continue to recover and ROBLOX doesnt decide to do a random algorithm change overnight again.

The Search function seems utterly broken again. Using the search term “poop” results us appearing at around position 85. The number of unrelated returns is insane:

I think it is good to keep this thread alive, just to voice our displeasure with the recent changes which disrupt our games.

5 Likes

Our team’s game is called WillyEdison’s Microgames. We’ve been developing it for many years, but it doesn’t appear in the Experience Search, even when searching “willyedison” in quotes.

2 Likes

I made a post regarding this, as my game(384 CCU rn) does not appear at all when you search Tycoon(my game is a tycoon)

This was a staff’s response in that thread:

There are a lot of Tycoon games and this game is not highly popular. This is causing search ranking to not perform best in this scenario. We will look into ways to improve it in the future.

1 Like

Immediately after I sent my last message - I have no idea how - the exact same search for “willyedison” in quotes now pulls up my game!

But if I even space out the words, by searching “willy edison”, the game refuses to appear. This is important because potential players may assume WillyEdison is two words and not one. It may be a common spelling error.

All images have the time each was taken in the bottom-right, for comparison. They were all taken on the same day.

With “willyedison”:

With “willy edison”:

With “microgames”

1 Like

WHAT? I don’t even LIKE all of these games, so why is roblox even RECOMMENDING IT?

for contrast, this is my continue tab:

what is roblox doing at this point bro.

4 Likes

I was looking at stats on Catalog Cabin and yup, the same October 14th dip completely killed the game. I think I was in a Try On Shopping sort infrequently before that and I’m not sure when those were removed.

2 Likes

My game has once again took a massive dip in acquisitions from November 26th after recovering from the previous dip occurring around October 27-28th.

1 Like

Funny enough, KreekCraft blasted Roblox on Twitter/X about having VERY poor game discovery and recommendations. I wonder if they’ll actually act on it this time.

Doubtful though, Roblox is known for digging their heels into the ground.

2 Likes

Genuinely shocked how long this has been swept under the rug. I dont have anything else to say since my last few replies have been saying virtually the same thing - constant loss of stats with no sign of recovery. Search sucks. Home sucks. The algorithm pushes new games and tosses out old ones. Yada yada yada

2 Likes

can confirm the same thing happened to us

4 Likes