Roblox 2019 Events Update

Even if the egg hunts or other events nosedive in quality, I 100% don’t expect the year they stop to go over the players well at all. Hopefully when it inevitably happens it’s handled decently.

I’d be lying if I thought it was a good idea to cancel Egg Hunt or other holiday events entirely, though. Especially when the work is mainly handed over to devs, many of which would be delighted to work on an egg hunt.

19 Likes

The exact issue I have with this event. If you do a big update then you don’t need ROBLOX’s help to get people to play the game, people will play it anyway.

14 Likes

My original game, it was awful in my opinion at the time. Out of the blue it exploded onto front page, and over like two months gained 50M visits. It wasn’t a good game at all during this time, and had no reason to explode.

Quality doesn’t mean your game will succeed, it’s whatever the players like. I think only having a single day is barely any exposure, plus weekends or holidays are more exposure due to simply being more players.

it’s free publicity, but almost unfair to everyone participating. I hope they really only go for quality and unique games for this.

25 Likes

Free advertising can never hurt. :man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging: Doesn’t really matter the day of week or time of month, free advertising is free advertising.

8 Likes

Sorry but if your game doesn’t perform well that’s 100% on you as the developer. - ESPECIALLY if you are getting free advertising from the platform itself.

6 Likes

This event is just constant free advertising, which will cause people to lose interest in the event itself. Events are supposed to have importance. If Christmas happened every day then no one would care it was Christmas, same with this event.

30 Likes

This is not an event :joy: there was never mention about this being an event.

It’s pretty much just showcasing different game updates every day. Honestly it’s not all that much different from the featured sort, just a lot more turnover and somewhat specific to game updates.

7 Likes

They are now lobby events (developers only build a smaller lobby game and the rest is in other games) so it’s only one step further to entirely remove them or just not have a lobby and entirely host it in other games.

Probably not. But they’d get over it. Not saying I agree with removing them or that this is Roblox’s attitude (it is not), but the community is really not that much of a blocker. The Christmas event last year got cancelled after all and replaced it with a Powers event (or something) which the community didn’t seem to care that much about it being cancelled, and some other events have also been closer to being shut down internally than you might think.

EDIT: Views are my own and this post does not represent Roblox’s attitude towards events. I guess I have to start writing these lines now.

18 Likes

Not gonna lie, seems like an event to me; showcasing and doing something special for ____

At least most Roblox events right now promote something, and showcase new features. This is just a smaller version of that, at least to me.

Plus I must say, :thinking: something is telling me it’s an event.

10 Likes

ROBLOX are featuring it as game events. Even if its not your typical Egg-Hunt type event I sure hope they are considered events considering they are now replacing the monthly ones.

14 Likes

“Game events” not Roblox event. Roblox events have a special splash page and catalog items and all that good stuff. This is literally just a glorified featured sort.

The “events” mentioned are game specific to be whatever you want them to be. It can be an update where you add trains for all they care.

14 Likes

I like the idea of trying to get publicity for newer/upcoming games with this idea but, I don’t like the idea of not allowing players to get special items from these events, even if it were just in the form of shirts… I really just don’t think they would be as fun as the actual ROBLOX ran events. However, I guess it would be fun to see the developers spin on these “Live-Ops.”

14 Likes

They also stopped doing the Halloween hats. I think they’ll continue the events as long as it’s profitable and they have sponsors for them. I don’t mind it, but I do miss that unique quality about roblox and having these unique things where you never knew what you were going to get.

They stopped every event except egg hunt, and changed the summer stuff entirely for sponsors.

14 Likes

To add - these are not coordinated events by Roblox in any sense of the word.

EVERYTHING regarding your game being a part of this “live-ops” is up to you. You spin it how you want with 0 input from Roblox.

Roblox events always consist of one or numerous games featuring the same/similar assets/themes. This is NOT that at all. This is not an event. This is simply free game promotions on a 24 hour rotating basis.

15 Likes

Does mean the other events are cancelled? Like… specifically the Racing event in June?

Like. Bruh.

16 Likes

That appears to be the case. The original announcement has recently been edited to remove the event calendar, along with being locked to link to this thread here.

Roblox 2019 Events: Updates, Calendar & More

19 Likes

Biggest upset of 2019 honestly. Was pushing like crazy to get my game out and ready for the event. Well now I can slow down the production I guess and really make sure everything is perfect.

34 Likes

Right? I knew right off the bat those events wouldn’t work. It’s a shame they had to waste everyone’s time and decide in the second quarter of the year to drop them instead of doing it quickly.

18 Likes

Looking through the discussion, the common trend is “I have questions or I dislike…”

• These Live-ops opportunities will replace our current monthly events.

I guess another question that might answer both that and various others is, how will they “appear” on the Roblox website?
Will they be similar to a sort on the front page?
Will they appear as a link on the sidebar?
Will they be on a external location?

This would probably help with some of the confusion or at least provide closure to the uneasy souls here since by deduction, we can figure out what this new fancy schmancy thing holds!

9 Likes

I think that’s giving people too much credit. People still are mad about tix being gone, even though there was a completely valid reason for it. Even when the Egg Hunts are just a lobby linking to preexisting games, players are treating it like the biggest event on Roblox for the year like they always do, which leads me to believe that, no, people wouldn’t get over it. I especially doubt that any reason Roblox would give for this would convince anyone seeing as they’ve been doing relatively less and less work on these events each year compared to the devs. Roblox is also a bit comically unaware if they think most people play these events for more than just the hats you get from them…

27 Likes