Roblox 2019 Events Update

I also think the same, people, including me, we play the events just for the accessories.

3 Likes

I think this problem will solve itself. Devs won’t do the work anymore when they see nobody is playing their game (since they only play for the hats), but Roblox won’t do anything. I’m sad to see Events die, but this is the path they’re on. All of the recent sponsored events (and some unsponsored ones) haven’t been fun. Even though I’m sad to see Events die, if Events are going to stay as bad as they are now, their death won’t really be that bad.

6 Likes

I have always thought that the hat incentive was a sort of way for making otherwise uninterested players visit and see the game for themselves. If a player thinks a game is bad or boring, I wouldn’t think they’re going to visit said game just because it’s essentially being advertised

10 Likes

This can work if handled properly in my opinion, my only major with the initial post is the fact that it will occur daily. I just don’t want this to be a bad feature. Although good idea for the most part.

Edit > How this can work, don’t make the feature daily, change it to make it weekly or so, whatever, I want you to change that, this is because it will not make it so eventful…, just feels like removing events. It will also be nice if you keep seasonal events, spicing it up quite a lot. And what be best is if you put some official Roblox experimental features to the games sometimes. Their are a few more but these are my main requests for the new feature, if implemented, it will make the feature much better in my opinion.

1 Like

We encourage you to add in-game prizes as part of your Live-Ops event. Roblox is unable to provide catalog prizes for these community driven events.

Sounds like you don’t want to fund new items being made for free anymore.
Some players never had access to any kind of Robux or way of making Robux to get the virtual items, I remember being a kid and loving events a lot. It was a chance to get free items and also discover new games.

I don’t really like this idea. Won’t multiple games be changing for the same concepts? This might create multiple games updating themselves to try and win the feature, but having similar updates. If anything, this is going to damper creativity. Also, if we run these in-game promotions, what if you don’t get featured? Is that just free advertising?That doesn’t make much sense to me.

Keep in mind that I am criticizing the idea, not ROBLOX, I’m not trying to get into trouble here.

This is what I’ve gathered and is my understanding:

1. Roblox will release some kind of sponsorship, for example:
    Marvel, DC, movie release, game release, etc.
  2. Games will update themselves to kind of fit in with the sponsorship.
  3. Roblox will then choose a game to be featured for the month.

If my understanding is true, then this is going to be creating quite a rift in creativity, and probably make the platform feel really unenjoyable and plastic (as developers will be pushing for the same themes/concepts permitted by the sponsorship and also competing for a feature).
I also can’t see this as any more of a way to restrict free-to-play players (people who don’t buy robux) from being able to get wearable avatar items.

Even if I’m wrong, I’m really disliking the underlying direction this is going. I see lots of positivity from people on the forum, but lots of people are missing the bigger picture I think.

The only positive I see is that it may help devs get some good exposure here and there, but that’s about it.
This is surprising to see after the overwhelming success of events like RPO.

30 Likes

This Live-Ops initiative seems to generally improve the concept of monthly events with preset themes that are themselves limited to a certain type of games.
Also a new method to get onto the Featured Sort. Cool beans!

An issue I find with this, however, is the removal of official involvement in the events, which will turn users away from new experiences. Is there anything in place to prevent this from happening?

9 Likes

I like how they want developers to have more control but I feel like this is a little far. People who don’t have robux use events to get items or sometimes the items look cool, and people want to play the games to get a item. It also keeps players coming back to the game to see the new events that could be there to get the free items. I know it says that the game could have in game rewards but I am sure most people don’t think that would be the same as getting a reward that you could use in all games. As a developer I think this is a great update but maybe you could make it so that developers could catalog items (of course they have to be approved by Roblox) just to make a it a bit better.

Edit:

Yep you are correct but sadly again like you said this probably won’t come for a while.

9 Likes

Roblox said they were going to make the UGC (User Generated Catalog). Seems like a similar idea. But don’t place any bets on the UGC coming anytime soon, Roblox is too busy making updates that hurt developers.

12 Likes

How will this affect annual events such as Egg Hunt or Bloxtober?

10 Likes

The problem with this is that this replaces events already planned previously. It would be nice to know if this means traditional, annual events, like Hallows eve and Egg hunt. This would be great alongside official Roblox events that give exclusive accessories. It is so satisfying when you get all the prizes and then you get the message from Roblox confirming that you have received the grand prize item. Monthly events shouldn’t be removed to make way for Live-Ops. Live-Ops is better suited to be alongside normal(as in the events we have now) events than to be its own thing.

10 Likes

Here’s a dilemma: What happens if you don’t get a response before you want to upload your game’s update? Do you just wait, or what would you do?

7 Likes

@cvibes I think this would be cool. How about you?!

1 Like

I doubt that. I HIGHLY doubt that you can’t provide

It would be nice if you did for a bit since we’ve yet to get UGC. Which would make the catalog way more diverse and maybe more… CREATIVE?
I also feel major disgust and minor betrayal as a “veteran” on Roblox, to see Events be removed like that. It hurts in the feelings.

32 Likes

So are these replacing the previously scheduled events? If so, that sounds like a bad idea to me.

6 Likes

please don’t, these are the only words I can say, just please don’t…

25 Likes

This will be very interesting for the simple fact that many developers may become more visible

2 Likes

I will be honest but the last point that “These Live op events will replace our monthly events” is pretty much a bad idea.
It removes some of the very few ways for free players to get items and it just kills the reward system in a very bad way.
I might not have understood this completely but you mentioned that devs must give out prizes IN THEIR GAME for these events.
I don’t see the purpose of this in anyway. Players will not be happy by just having a hat in one game through some live op event.

Eventhough this is a good idea and can help devs to promote their games, I COMPLETELY disagree with the point to remove monthly events.

I suggest to keep both of these
I understand and respect that you are so keen to give the developers a necessary spotlight but there is no point in ruining the experience of an ordinary roblox player.

23 Likes

So are holiday events excluded from this then or what?

3 Likes

Why Remove Events Though? Live-op has nothing to do with events?

18 Likes

But since Roblox monthly events contribute to a lot of the free items in our catalog, and now that monthly events is getting replaced by this new concept, where are new users going to get more easily-obtainable hats? F2P players won’t be able to experience Roblox well if they’re only limited to the few free hats they’re given upon account creation.

I know that Roblox wants to allow community devs to take more control over how Roblox’s events work, but they really shouldn’t just remove current monthly events with this.

26 Likes