Roblox 2019 Events Update

This looks…pointless. And it looks like the removal of monthly events will annoy a lot of players. Especially the whole “unable to earn catalog items” for events thing.

20 Likes

When you think about the fact the platform removed it’s only free currency. Tix which in turn caused players to be unable to customize their avatar unless they spent Robux, or participated in events or Roblox gave away items for free. You would literally only be able to get new appearance items by strictly purchasing or earning Robux entirely.

Which means all Bacon Hairs will forever be a Bacon Hair. (not quite but its funny to put it this way)

You used to earn Tix from people visiting your places, and logging in daily. Tix could be used to purchase items from the catalog. You could also exchange Tix for Robux.

18 Likes

I would like to ask something that some people have told me. This may sound stupid to ask but it doesn’t say anywhere here clear enough to make me think ROBLOX is removing or replacing catalog prizes/event prizes. Rumours spreader around that they thought this post meant they replaced ROBLOX events awarding catalog prizes. Is that true?

3 Likes

in the post it says that they are removing event prizes

6 Likes

Roblox, I like that the platform continues to grow and help other developers, but I do not agree that Live-ops event replaces the monthly event.

8 Likes

But, that must be a coincidence. There are many people on ROBLOX who love to play for event prizes. Sure, it is a good thing to promote the developers side of ROBLOX but replacing events is basically demolishing some people’s interests to continue playing. Me as a developer, I love playing events but I love seeing what every developer has built for an obstacle for us to obtain the event prizes. This was a half decent move but kinda ruined some things in the way.

11 Likes

I kind of feel like, changing the event prizes over to in-game prizes isn’t bad at all. I’d just like the option to offer a catalog prize as well.

5 Likes

It wouldn’t effect me too much, however, the ROBLOX events were reasons some people kept playing ROBLOX. I don’t mind this change at all, but as a community member, we aren’t the only people we should care about, we need to care for everyone. I mean, I guess a good example of something like this that gone REALLY WELL was the custom event “Beesmas” which even though it wasn’t an actual event, I parted in for the badges. It was also awarding in-game items and pretty much gained large publicity. What got me interested in the event most? Seeing these developers working together on such an event when a Christmas event didn’t happen. But badges are nice too. :wink:

8 Likes

Exactly my point, Switching the event prizes over to developers itself is a really good idea IMO. Because it gives players the opportunity to be able to acquire things like gamepasses, or developer products which in turns enhances the gameplay for the players. Kinda like being able to get access to Towtrucks or the bus in Vehicle Simulator, Or being able to be a police officer inside of Unlimited Drive. These are pay gates that not everyone can participate in.

If you paired this with catalog items, players would be more enticed to probably spend it on an appearance item… allowing them to further the bond between their virtual avatar and themselves so that they don’t just exist inside of a game. But they can actually enjoy existing inside of a game.

Considering it would be proper custom events, things like even temporary access to pay gate features would allow for more engaging opportunities for players. These are just some of the ideas that could compliment the creations that I can’t even begin to imagine that developers would be able to create.

If they really don’t want to give away items from the catalog at the very least a 7 day pass to rent an item that you could only attain from participating in an event would be helpful.

1 Like

Gold statement. But again, these are custom events and very fun to have. I develop for fun but at some times, I get empty of thoughts and always wanted to be a developer for a ROBLOX event. Just wanted to get my name out. Haha, and get the White Banded Red Tophat too. But sometimes, going back to ROBLOX events and seeing what these developers have created are truly outstanding. It really inspires me more and more.

10 Likes

I like this idea very much. Small developers barely get a chance to get spotlighted by ROBLOX and this is one of the opportunities I wouldn’t mind as others stated if this was added on to monthly events but they might not be able to afford the time and money for both. We don’t know how much budget ROBLOX sets aside for these things (correct me if I’m wrong )

How will this benefit smaller developers? I’m a small developer and I don’t feel benefitted by this at all.

10 Likes

Now hear me out for all the developers here in our community.

Personally I love the concept of having developers of getting a chance to be promoted on the main games page I think it can bring out more original for the Roblox platform to see.

But my main issue here is that removing events ruins the fun of playing Roblox. It ruins yearly events like the egg hunt and hallows eve. And adding in-game prizes for the players witch is fine depending on who the developer is but new players are going to get sick and tired of the same free items they get from making their account. Please who ever moderator or developer is reading this take my advice.

A statement from Cakeymasterluke

7 Likes

From what I understand it is meant to promote/emphasize/develop the “game as a service/live service” model for more games on Roblox. This excerpt from the article seems to summarize what the LiveOps is meant to do.

"Planning for a LiveOps model has several important ramifications for your studio. With LiveOps, you can:

• Make changes to your game quickly, which provides a fast and clean way to address unforeseen problems that crop up after launch.
  • Segment players and make targeted communications or offers appropriate for each segment to stimulate engagement and boost monetization.
  • Run special in-game events to keep a game from getting stale, or attract players to come back and re-engage - often with dramatic impact.
  • Collect and analyze game data to provide insight into how to tune and improve your game. Viewing performance in real-time can identify issues like a new update causing a spike in errors, or a mis-configuration causing an exploit that might permanently ruin your game’s economy if not quickly rolled back."
1 Like

Seems like this is a replacement for “Feature Sort” isn’t it?

Because they are changing how the Front page works and changing how Feature Sort works they need a replacement for it, am I understanding this correctly?

4 Likes

from what I understand, all modern Roblox games already use LiveOps in some way, shape or form. To stay on the top, you have to update your game.

LiveOps just means the game is getting frequent updates… frequent could mean weekly or monthly, so I don’t have a problem with LiveOps

Sure, it’s lame that they’re getting rid of catalog items from events, but developers can adapt and include a character customization system in their game (a lot of games are already doing this)

3 Likes

what where and how?

I don’t see they mention that anywhere

what is LiveOps exactly?

Is it just a program to get your game featured once a month for 1 day, or am I missing something important?

Putting events on the chopping block isn’t a good idea. Their driving appeal is the tactile achievement offered earning avatar items accessible across the platform. Players won’t be allured by in-game rewards if you’re asking them to make a time commitment to unfamiliar products every day. More-over, asking developers to focus on personal rewards isn’t a sane way to promote content updates.

Roblox should definitely do more to advertise games that regularly take strides to improve their overall experience. If they want to alter events, offer promotions to developers with upcoming major content updates, and integrate platform-wide rewards for in-game achievements.

–note, this is one mutation away from the current event formula, though this design assumes that:

• developers are already providing updates and might use the opportunity to apply for sponsorship from devrel
  • devrel surveys event games for achievements/progression milestones to attach rewards to
9 Likes

I made a typo, I meant event catalog items.

LiveOps is what they call doing frequent updates to your game after the game is released. All modern Roblox games are already doing this. From what I understand (and I may be wrong), Roblox is offering to put your game once a month on the LiveOps sort when you do an update.

“Getting over it” really shouldn’t be the attitude this company has toward its users.

Barring that, why does Roblox seemingly want to separate itself from official community involvement? Roblox isn’t supporting developers by shifting all the responsibility of an event in exchange for free publicity (where have I heard that before?)

18 Likes