Roblox Avatar Thumbnail Viewer

I’ve been experimenting a lot with the Roblox Web API lately, and this is my first creation I wish to get feedback on.

I made a website that allows you to view the thumbnail of a roblox avatar of any Roblox user.

I also tried my best to use the UI that Roblox made for create.roblox.com for this website.

Edit: Font is applied now.

Edit 2: Added a Copy Image URL Button

Edit 3: QoL Changes

Edit 4 (February 20th, 2024): Since the website has been untouched for over a year, it broke. The website has been fixed with major UI Improvements.

NOTE (2/20/2024):

I made this website to expand my abilities as a programmer and see what’s possible. I’m entirely self-taught, and this website helped me improved my skills as a programmer.

This website has served its purpose as a part of the foundation of my career as a Web Developer. I’ve learned a lot since then, and didn’t intend to support this website long term given that it has little actual cases. Nonetheless, I appreciate the feedback I’ve received and it has certainly helped me a lot. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

16 Likes

This is useful, definitely going to use this

1 Like

This is so cool! I’ll definitely be using it.

1 Like

Here’s the results :slight_smile:

Excited to see what you’re going to add to it!

3 Likes

Really good. It works really well! But I have a question, why would users want to use this? I’m not a critical reviewer, but to be honest, you can already get the image from a user’s profile. But, you have done very well with Roblox Web API, as this is very complicated to do.

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, this is decent but why would someone use it? It’s the same thing that you can find here. If you are learning web development and HTTP(S) requests then good job

2 Likes

This is a nice implementation of the web api, although somewhat simple. You could make it so that users input username and it gets the id to then use for the image request to add some complexity - and ease of use for the users. Unnecessary, but maybe also an error message if there is an incorrect input - like id does not exist.
Well done - I like the layout of the website and the simplicity. :+1:

1 Like

True, but mine allows you to view the thumbnail. With thumbnails.roblox.com, you’ll have to copy and paste the image url in a new tab.

Convenience is the main goal here :slightly_smiling_face:

Great idea! I’ll make sure to add that. Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

I wasn’t really think about the use cases for this really. This is just my first creation with the Roblox Web API I’ve made on a website. I just wanted to share it here and get feedback on it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Though, I could make an input for usernames, which would definitely add use cases to this.

Thank you so much both of you. :slightly_smiling_face:

You wont have to worry about the website ever going down, since it’s hosted on GitHub Pages :slightly_smiling_face:

Glad to see that it works for you :grin:

Should I add a button that, when clicked, downloads the image to your device?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

This looks good, seems fine on mobile despite what you’re saying.

Are you planning to add headshots eventually?

Ok but people could just go to the user’s profile

1 Like

Would it be more convenient if I added the ability to add a input for a username as well?

1 Like

I can add that, yes.

1 Like

Not really as the point i made before would still stand as you can just type the username in the searchbar, in general i don’t see a lot of people wanting to download or see a user’s avatar. If you really want to add the search by username feature then sure, do it.

1 Like

Finished! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@NinjaFurfante07 Val made the website just to practice API programming, it’s his first time doing so, it’s not claimed to be professional or profitable, just a small showcase. So even if it might not be useful to the public, it’s still a good practice and that’s all he wants. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, a username option would make this a lot easier to use.

1 Like

I already said that

3 Likes

This doesn’t work anymore. GitHub page shows up saying that it isn’t set up correctly

1 Like

Yep. It’s currently broken. I’m in the middle of fixing it, but for some reason each time I try to make a get request I get this error:

Reason: CORS header 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' missing

I added the header it said to add, but for some reason it still doesn’t work. I’ve been trying for ages to find a way to fix it.

Looks really nice. Honestly this is really useful for me. I can use this to get full images of players for YouTube and things. Thanks!