Roblox client is always on top of other windows unless minimized

For the past month (or more?), the Roblox client has been rendering on top of my other applications. This makes testing tedious because you have to remember that Roblox needs to be minimized manually, whereas normally apps on windows can be minimized (or covered) by opening another app.

This happens for the majority of our machines, but not for some (all of mine have this issue but our artist does not)

Video of the issue:

I’ve heard using the W10 app is currently a workaround to this problem!

5 Likes

Can confirm. Doesn’t happen so often but when it does, it happens until I restart my laptop.

Can confirm. Constant issue.

Not limited to UWP version of Roblox. Affects Windows 10 version of Roblox. Using Windows 10 Pro (1809)

1 Like

This isn’t an issue only for the Game client but also Roblox Studio.

I thought this was only happening to me and it was caused by my Computer, I am glad it isn’t.

I would like this to be fixed asap along side with other people as well.

(Maybe we should make a new Bug report since this is solved before and the issue just happened again thus I feel like this deserves it’s own Thread)

1 Like

Can also confirm this. For example, the Window snippet tool is stuck under the roblox window, and will never appear on top of it, happens to many other programs as well… very annoying

Happens to me as well. Always have to alt-tab out of the window. Happens about 10% of every Roblox window opened.

Just to add a quick update: We haven’t forgotten about this but there are some other issues in the pipeline that are occupying most of our time at the moment. I got pretty close to a fix several weeks ago, but it broke an issue with fullscreen mode.

For now, it seems like the best way to avoid this is that after clicking the Play button, just wait and don’t click into the Chrome window. Obviously that’s not a long term solution but hopefully it’s better than nothing.

Long term, we have a moderately-sized re-architecture of how our startup flow works that should make this go away. But if we get some extra cycles to look into this again and give a quick fix in the meantime, we will still try.

11 Likes

Apologies for the bump, but it seems that the issue has reared its ugly head again as of 10/16/2019 :frowning: and this time I no longer have my 2nd screen setup, so I can’t use the workaround I’ve previously used in the past.

2 Likes

This is still occurring, and it’s a serious hindrance to my ability (and clearly, the ability of others) to play and develop effectively!

1 Like

This happens to me around 50% of the time. I’ve been having this issue for probably around a year. Since I keep my taskbar hidden, the game window always overrides the taskbar, making it impossible to switch windows quickly (because alt-tabbing just renders the window below the game window).

If you enter then exit fullscreen mode it lets you put windows over the game window until you click onto roblox again.

I haven’t heard of this happening to any other people until now, so it’s a relief that others are having the same issue. Really hope this gets fixed soon!

As to this day, this bug is still happening. The only way to fix it is by restarting the roblox client. This bug is extremely annoying and I would like it fixed as soon as it can be.

Yeah I can confirm it happened to me yesterday. I can’t find a repo for it, though.

Yeah I’m starting to get really annoyed by this, I constantly have to drag the roblox client around my monitors in order to use what’s hiding under the client…

1 Like

This happened to me back in September and then it went away until it came back on 1/1/20

Seems that an issue that has been going on for almost 5 years, and is still very prevalent to this day (around 80% of the time for me) is getting a bare minimum amount of attention it seems. I am not sure why the Roblox client is the only app on my computer that does this, but it’s annoying when you’re multitasking between something like PaintDOTNet and Roblox to capture screenshots of logs when bugtesting your game. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I have this issue occuring at different times, just restarting the game doesn’t always help, it seems to be a bit random somehow? I’m helping other new developers with scripting & in the meantime waiting for their responses I’m playing a game, but it gets really annoying when I have to manually minimize it every few minutes I’m texting someone. & yeah I also click around in browser while it loads to do other things, but at times it will still function normal even though I do that.

1 Like

Not the update people were hoping for, but we’re kind of stalled on this issue. It’s not easily reproducible, so the best we can do is look through the code for anything that might cause the window to always be on top. We did find one such place, which I alluded to in an earlier post, and I was pretty confident that was the culprit. However, that change has been live for almost 1 month now, and people are still reporting this. So now, we are kind of out of ideas. There is literally nowhere in the entire codebase where we set the window to be always on top anymore. So that narrows the problem space down to maybe a bug in Windows, some library we’re linking against which we don’t have source code for – maybe some Windows component, some undocumented behavior of some function we’re calling, or possibly a third party component installed on peoples’ systems?

I don’t want to completely absolve our own codebase of potential blame, because I’ve seen weirder things, but AFAICT the only documented way to make a window be topmost is to call SetWindowPos with the HWND_TOPMOST flag. And we definitely aren’t doing that in our code as of ~1 month ago.

5 Likes

It’s a bit of a botch fix.

It works by setting the HWND_NOTOPMOST flag on roblox’s window handle.

3 Likes

still accouring, this is incredibly infuriating when switching between studio and player

2 Likes