Roblox client is always on top of other windows unless minimized

Thought it was just my virtual machine acting up and I can also confirm this but sometimes it actually lets me open windows.

Iā€™m going slowly insane with this. I have to double click the Roblox tab or manually minimize it to get it away. I normally work by playing, then Alt-Tabbing to Studio and back and forth, but this is just making that impossible.

7 Likes

It seems this is still an issue. I have no idea how to reproduce it as it seems to happen randomly. It started happening to me within the last week or so and happens maybe 1 in 10 times. It goes away when I relaunch the game.

Bug still present. Reproducible with seemingly 50/50 chance. Windows 10 x64. Please fix

3 Likes

Itā€™s started to become inconsistent but I remember this happened really often. Why is this happening in the first place? :confused:

Hi all, Iā€™d love to investigate this, but sadly Iā€™m unable to reproduce, despite having tried on several machines. Some other staff have seen it happening to them too, but not consistently enough that I can look at their machine when itā€™s happening. If anyone can provide me some additional info (or even better, some investigation), I would really appreciate it.

First: Does it happen in specific games, or can it happen in any game?
Second: Can it go away just by closing the game and re-starting another game?

I also have some ideas for investigation that would give me some clues about how to fix it, even if Iā€™m not exactly sure why itā€™s happening. Since this is the dev forum, Iā€™m hoping someone here has Visual Studio on their machine and is willing to provide me with some information. If so, VS comes with a handy window inspector tool called Spy++. You can run it easily by just going to Tools ā†’ Spy++.

1. When it starts, push Ctrl+F and then drag the little window icon on top of the roblox player window, then press OK and click the Styles tab. If you could either post a screenshot or list all the styles that you see, it would help. It should look something like this:

Iā€™m expecting to see WS_EX_TOPMOST under Extended Styles, but I just want to confirm.

1. I want to see what messages are being sent to the window. I looked at the code for the client and just from reading the code, it looks like we specifically turn off topmost. So I want to see if something else is continuously turning it back on, possibly interfering with our behavior. For this, you can close the previous window and go to Spy ā†’ Log Messages. Drag the Finder Tool back to the window. Before clicking OK, click on the Messages tab. Uncheck everything except General, Registered, Unknown, and WM_USER. Also on the list on the left, specifically de-select WM_INPUT and WM_GETICON. Then click OK. Now, do these steps exactly like this: 1) Click the Roblox Player icon in the taskbar. 2) Click back into your browser. If you could post a screenshot of the stuff that pops up in the message log, that would also help. On mine, it looks like this:

1. Letā€™s see if we can force Always on Top to be off. This requires downloading 3rd party software which has no affiliation with Roblox, so use your judgement here. A quick Google search led me to a tool called TurboTop. This puts an icon in your system tray, and it will let you force Always on Top mode on or off for any window currently on your machine. Just click the system tray icon and look for Roblox. Is it checked? If so, uncheck it and see if the problem goes away. Obviously this is not a permament solution, but just knowing if this works at all can offer some clues about how I might fix it.

Iā€™m going to keep trying to reproduce the problem in house, and asking around to see if we can catch it on someoneā€™s machine where I can physically go over and look at it, but if anyone feels like helping out, this might speed up the process :slight_smile:

Cheers

8 Likes

Hey!
In answer to your first question, it seems to happen in any game regardless of any kind of specific features.

In regards to the second, it takes a few game restarts until it finally works for me. Itā€™s just luck it seems.
Iā€™ll work on the VS Log for you next time it pops up.

Seems to happen randomly in any game. Restarting usually fixes it.

Got this from Spy++ (didnā€™t do step 3):

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been playing around with this some, and even though I still havenā€™t reproduced this exact problem, Iā€™ve encountered some similar issues.

For anyone experiencing this, do you usually click in your browser after clicking the Play button but before the Player window appears? Iā€™m curious to see if it can be reproduced if you only click the Play button, and then do not click any other mouse button at all until the Player window appears.

1 Like

Yes, I usually click Play to join the game and click into my browser in order to multi-task/get other things done while the game loads. Rarely have I ever hit Play and let it load completely, although when I have it forces itself on top anyway.

Iā€™ll try messing around with some scenarios to see if I can pinpoint some specific actions that lead to the problem.

Iā€™ve checked in a possible fix for this. Assuming all goes well, it should go live sometime next week. Iā€™ll update the thread once it does and then weā€™ll see if people can still reproduce it.

The behavior that you should see after the fix goes live is:

1. If you click Play and then wait, Player is guaranteed to show up as the foreground window, but not with the Always-On-Top flag set (so you can still activate other windows)
  2. If you click Play and then multi-task in your browser while waiting, there is a chance that Player doesnā€™t come to the foreground (because it shouldnā€™t interfere with something like being in the middle of typing a message), but the window for this to happen is very small (you have to be clicking or typing into the browser at the exact moment the window tries to display). And when this does happen, the Player icon will flash in the taskbar.

In any case, Player should definitely never get ā€œstuckā€ on top anymore. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

To answer your first question: on my end it happens 100% of the time, and no if I change games or whatever, the window stays stuck (well itā€™s not really an inconvenience for me since I usually threw the playerā€™s window on my 2nd monitor)

In any case, Iā€™m glad this is being looked into (so I donā€™t have to resort to use TurboTop anymore, sure it comes in handy for bugs like these not just with the client, butā€¦)

This change should be live now. Please report back with your experiences.

1 Like

It appears this change has caused issues when launching a game in full screen:

1. When clicking the play button and focusing on another app before the launcher has launched the game, the Roblox player icon will not appear in the Windows 10 toolbar

2. When minimizing your focused app and clicking on the Roblox player, the Windows 10 toolbar still appears on top of the Roblox player until you focus on another app and then the Roblox player again

Video of both issues:

Operating System: Windows 10
Version: 10.0.18362 Build 18362

1 Like

Thatā€™s pretty bizarre! Weā€™re going to turn this behavior off while we look into it. I can say that I didnā€™t see this in my tests, but your video makes it pretty clear.

I have some other ideas as well that Iā€™ll experiment with.

2 Likes

The first issue as seen in the video still seems to be occurring often when focusing on another application before the Roblox client launches the game. Perhaps this change did not cause the issue and it was something else.

In addition, Iā€™ve filed a separate bug report for the second one as it occurs regardless of the first bug:

1 Like

Whatā€™s the update on this, the always on top bug is happening to me.

5 Likes

Any known fix for this bug, happens to me nearly 100% of the time now. Really having a hard time. (I usually donā€™t click off to other windows, but I alt + tab and it still doesnā€™t work!) Help please.

I had this issue back then but it would only happen randomly and to work around it I would just rejoin the game.
As of 09/08/2019 it became persistent and itā€™s really annoying because I canā€™t ALT+TAB anymore.

Carry on, itā€™s happening as well to me, yet again (had to set my secondary monitor as primary, but it is just a workaround, which isnā€™t a solution).