Roblox Community Space: A Vision of Social Experiences on Roblox

I am excited to use voice chat in games that support VR. Can’t wait for this to go public.

1 Like

They said this:

It won’t be “just a handful” in the long run.

2 Likes

To nitpick one of the smaller social features of this demo, the photo booth is a fun mechanic but it’s an example of how the platform suffers from having to ask players to take their own screenshots, which can be clunky on certain devices.

I hope Roblox will consider allowing developers to prompt a more straightforward screenshot action (e.g. a CoreGui button on the screen) or directly allow developers to take screenshots at scripted moments in the game and let players decide after leaving whether or not to save them, like how Steam games prompt their players.

6 Likes

Honestly, this demo game is kinda confusing…

All of these features (other than voice chat and photo booth) can 100% be created by developers themselves, I really don’t see the need to pre-make these. And unless these features are highly customizable, they probably won’t fit very well in a good 90% of games (my guess). Also, honestly, the animations that are in the demo really aren’t the best (especially the wave).

I don’t have much of an opinion of voice chat other than that if it will be released, I really hope it will be heavily under check and will only be allowed to at least 13+.

2 Likes

haha, great place! dont forget to invite me

jokes aside, looking forward to it, and hoping push to talk is a thing or else it’ll be a 2011 call of tasks lobby all over again

UPDATE: got into the beta, loving the feature! it’s pretty awesome and uh a unique experience to say the least

1 Like

The lighting in the community space is atrocious. It feels lackluster and on my devices it feels flat and lifeless.

A possible revamp would improve tremendously.

1 Like

No. Please, no. This will destroy Roblox. While useful for FPS, and role play, this isn’t good for anything else.

1 Like

What BuildThomas said is entirely correct and should be seriously considered.

As someone whose account has been compromised because of a Sim Swap attack, I do not feel comfortable verifying a phone number on my Roblox account. Why should a phone number be required for a feature like voice chat?

I deeply want to help test voice chat and am looking forward to using it in my experiences to further social engagement, but I truly hope this is reconsidered for the sake of account security on Roblox.

14 Likes

Is anyone else having an issue where all of the settings are correct including input and output settings and their microphone still does not work inside of the Community Space game?

1 Like

It will expand over time.

1 Like

Sign me up please! This feature will be a game changer for my group roleplay!

3 Likes

I have a few problems with some of the new “Social Features”

Heres a List:

Friend Locator: Wouldn’t this be the same as joining what a friend is playing? Or would it be in-game universe such as teleporting between places with in a singular game. if the latter then it should be made an in-game setting, set by the developer.

Spawn with Friends: Similar to “Friend Locator”, this should be considered an in-game setting, but can also be toggled by the player for friends, followers, and none like a privacy setting.

Emote Bar: This should be accessed through coreui so that it can be disabled, like chat or the playerlist, other than that I don’t see an issue with an emote bar.

Wall Art: This is actually a pretty cool/intresting idea, in fact I think that this can be used to display favorite badges that you earned from games, badges cost 100 Robux to create so it would stop bad actors from posting inappropriate content, ofcourse there would need to be a report system for the badge, but I can see a bunch of badges placed around to display (flex) a players achievement in a game.

Photo Booth: This also sounds cool, but how will the photos be used? Will there be a gallery on the website? Will it just send us the photo to our Roblox Photo File in the Windows (or mac if your upset for not being included because you bought an inferior product for an unreasonable price cough) Photo Directory?

I actually like the idea of a gallery on the website to show your current adventures on the platform, it can be displayed over or under the avatar section on the players profile, it can also display the game of where the picture was taken once clicked upon.

1 Like

I Also Need To Test The Voice Chat

1 Like

I don’t see 13+ being ideal, as a minor myself, I can say that only chaos would occur if the teenage demographic had access to voice chat, specifically in games like Phantom forces, and Arsenal. Or any FPS game for that matter.

1 Like

Great job! You are lucky then, I can’t wait for it to expand. I really want to try this out lol.

5 Likes

People can hear me, but I can’t hear them. I can hear all other game audio and can confirm my output device is correct.

I haven’t seen anyone else with this bug.

1 Like

how should i test the voice chat… please help me

I’m also having this bug, all in and out settings are correct but no voice is coming through. Any ideas?

1 Like

Virtual communication will also be subject to the same forms of natural moderation that exist in the real world. To continue with our restaurant example, if you yell at someone during that public meal, it’s likely that people around you will ask you to quiet down or, depending on how offensive you are, you’ll be asked to leave. There will be similar consequences on Roblox: our community will be able to self-regulate and flag a user that is not adhering to community standards, and that user may be removed from an experience or lose speaking privileges. The metaverse is an extension and augmentation of reality and the standards for civility that we hold ourselves to in the real world must carry over to the digital.
[source]

Honestly, I’m slowly seeing the worth in voice chat. Roleplay experiences would benefit the most, such as ER;LC, hotels & restaurants, etc.
But for other social games, you can use it to decide tactics with your friend for example.

It all depends on how much flexibility is being given to developers. I would love to see some APIs to make broadcasting possible (to talk to a friend over radio that’s 200 studs away for example, or to communicate with the police team where the suspect is going to, which would be limited by text-chat at the moment)

3 Likes

But just like third party services, there are bound to be underage users lying about their age in order to use such in-game services. I want to also know how roblox is going to combat this, because undoubtedly so, as much as this would make games more immersive, there will come a time where the comms are going to be abused, and I can guarantee this with high probability that there will be several instances where someone 18+ will start cussing infront of someone <10. This is what scares me the most.

Roblox is already getting pulled through the wringer with articles such as the following:

" Roblox: ‘I thought he was playing an innocent game’ "
This one I found kind of ironic, because the webpage actually shows the following:

" The hidden dangers of ‘Roblox’ every parent should know about"

and so on. With the addition of voice chat, my speculation takes me to wonder about what will happen if a parent hears someone swearing at their child via comms provided by roblox themselves? The media would surely hear about it and then what? We would get mass amounts more hate. How will we combat this?

Banning the character that said the bad word?

• they can just make a new account/ they were just using a burner account

IP Banning them so they cannot return?

• There will always be another.

It’s in my best interest as a developer to look into both the pros and the cons of this update. I love roblox, I grew up with it, and I would HATE to see something happen to the platform when it comes to an update such as this one. Before the release, I would love a forum going over the specifics on how they would be handling it and how moderation will come and arise. I’m a pretty small developer myself so chances of me getting into the beta are slim, however I would also like to see how it is set up as well.

1 Like