Roblox Developer Challenge 2024

Hey creators @Game-Jammers,

We’re thrilled to unveil this year’s Developer Challenge!

For this challenge, you and your team will create a Roblox Experience based on a theme that will be announced as a response to this topic at the beginning of the challenge, at 3 PM PT on Friday, Jan 26.

Please, read the rules carefully to avoid having your entry marked as invalid:

• :white_check_mark: The experience must be created from 3 PM PT on Friday, Jan 26, and submitted by 4 PM PT on Sunday, Jan 28, through the submission survey.

• :white_check_mark: The experience must be created and updated only during the challenge timeframe.

• :white_check_mark: You’re allowed to use pre-developed resources as long as you own the rights to them and list them in the submission survey.

• :white_check_mark: Teams must consist of 1-5 people. You can use this DevForum thread to find teammates!

• :white_check_mark: All participants must register on DevForum and agree with the Roblox Terms of Use, Community Standards, and Terms of Participation (92.7 KB).

Prizes

• :trophy: DevRel Virtual Prizes Series to all participants and winners with valid entries

• :trophy: EACH TEAM MEMBER from the following categories winners will get a $1,000 USD GoGift Global Gift Card:

• :video_game: Most Immersive Experience: Engaging gameplay and content from a player’s perspective

• :gear: Best Usage of Tech: Overall technical quality of the experience, such as art, functionality, etc

• :globe_with_meridians: Global Citizenship Award: Experiences that break language and cultural barriers or incorporate cultural expression into the story or loop

• :+1: People’s Choice: The experience with the most votes on the DevForum voting topic will be elected the winner

Are you new to Roblox? Not sure where to start?

Week 1 (Jan 12)

Workshop Introduction to Roblox
Learn the basics of Roblox Studio and create your first game.
Presented by @Myzta
2024-01-13T18:00:00Z
Article Expand your knowledge with the Roblox documentation Platform Overview
Introduction to Roblox Studio
Challenge Create and Publish a Roblox Place
Put what you’ve learned on the first week in practice. Create a simple Roblox experience with one model and publish your workshop experience!
No submission required

Week 2 (Jan 19)

Workshop Introduction to Programming
Learn the basics of programming on Roblox.
Presented by @WooleyWool
2024-01-19T18:00:00Z
Workshop Introduction to Modeling
Learn the basics of modeling and building your experience on Roblox.
Presented by @EvilArtist
2024-01-20T18:00:00Z
Article Expand your knowledge with the Roblox documentation Coding Fundamentals
Manage your Roblox Assets
Challenge Create a Working Sword
Put into practice what you’ve learned in the second week. Create a working sword for your Roblox experience!
No submission required

FAQs

Do I need a team to participate?

Although we highly recommend joining a team, you’re allowed to participate solo. You can find teammates in this DevForum thread.

Do I need to pre-register?

No, only filling out the submission survey is necessary.

Are premade assets allowed?

Yes, you can use premade assets and list them in the submission survey.

Do all my team members need to fill out the submission survey?

No, only one team member needs to fill out the submission survey.

Can I re-submit my experience?

Yes, the latest response will be considered, and the older ones will be disregarded.

Can I update the place after the challenge ends?

No, if you accidentally update your place, please contact us through devrelpt@roblox.com.

Can I create the place before the challenge starts?

No, you must create and update the experience only within the challenge timeframe.

Can I share my game and the voting topic for the People’s Choice Category?

Yes!

Will the winners and participants receive the DevRel Prizes series?

Yes, all valid submissions will be eligible for the DevRel prizes series, both participants and winners.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to post them here!

Good luck, have fun!
Developer Engagement Team

550 Likes

This is great! My team did this a few years back, glad we can try it again!

107 Likes

I really wanna participate but its sad that I have a lot of work IRL. Next year maybe. Or yknow what FRICK IT I AM IN!

Nice : )

Oh my 121 likes!?!?! That’s the most I ever got! Thank you!

134 Likes

This looks pretty cool, I’ll be sure to give it a try!

75 Likes

If pre-made assets are allowed doesn’t that mean people could pre-make complex yet generic systems, i.e. a car system that they could implement no matter what the theme is?

72 Likes

This is awesome! I didn’t get a chance to do the last Challenge/GameJam due to complications of IRL Busyness and Hardware issues.

I am excited to possibly be able to do it this year! :star_struck::grin::+1:

61 Likes

This is interesting and honestly I might have to consider doing this, I am out of country right now and get back on the 25th of January which makes this very conveniently timed, I do wonder if the theme only gets announced on the 26th?

I am a programmer (I like to do UI and non-math related things) and am used to frameworks and using tools like Aftman and Rojo for a GitHub/VSC orientated project. I have experience with roblox-ts and other programming languages entirely too. If anyone has questions about anything related to what I’m proficient in, and just want help with anything just let me know via DMs!

These challenges always seem fun and honestly not just about competition! I used to do FRC (FIRST robotics) and helping other teams is a core value and it makes it way better of a playing field. I wish everyone best of luck!

53 Likes

That sounds awesome, I would participate, but none of my friends have any interest in development. (Edit: Ima do solo for now)

53 Likes

Well, I’m going to try. But I won’t have much time because I work on Saturdays usually. But I will try. (I’m excited to see what people make though)

Edit: LET’S GO I DON’T WORK THIS SATURDAY!

40 Likes

I DO NOT work well with teams. I’m better off alone, and even then, this challenge doesn’t interest me.

40 Likes

Whats the criteria if you use pre-made assets can you then lose points or not

35 Likes

Okay, I’m gonna be the first to find a team in this topic. Anybody?

37 Likes

Yeah, we could DM about our team.

31 Likes

Ah yes, time to learn the basics of lua to work alone. Anyways, exciting looking forward to the challenge!

33 Likes

Can’t wait to participate! My only concern is about the payment process. Last time, in the Connect 2022 game jam, my team was one of the top winners and were able to claim a 100$ Amazon Gift Card. Unfortunately, I got stuck on the tax document and didn’t really know if I could fill it out myself. Out of fear, I decided to not claim the 100$ incase I was going to get into legal problems…

36 Likes

Try not to complain about moderation when it’s irrelevant to the post and category challenge (impossible)

51 Likes

FINALLY New Game Jam is Here! I guess we need to prepare with our teammates!

28 Likes

cant wait! best of luck to everyone participating

33 Likes

As long as you fill out the tax documents with valid, true information that belongs to you, everything should be just fine! If it isn’t, they will notify you that there’s an issue and tell you to fix it most likely! So don’t worry.

23 Likes

I don’t think you would get penalized for using pre-made assets, in fact it seems encouraged! The only thing that seems necessary is that you have to have the rights to them and they’re listed in your submission as being pre-made. Just make sure to be thorough with your submission!

24 Likes