Roblox Developer Forum Logo Updated

Cut it out with the snarky replies.

This forum is meant for developers of all types on the Roblox platform. Roblox development is directly tied to Roblox Studio, which is where one might assume the idea for this logo came from. The goal of the change is to get the DevForum logo in line with our brand identity, which the previous logo did not do. As far as sizing issues, aliasing, color, and the “Developer” text go, they are a matter of discussion across teams and may be subject to change. Or not. We’ll have to see. Hostility doesn’t exactly inspire the desire to rectify accompanying complaints.

26 Likes

Brand consistency is a necessary thing, yes. And it may not 100% look good if you give every part of the site 50,000 icons. But it also doesn’t look all that good, in my mind, to use one icon for literally everything.

If you have a branching off part of the community like this, especially a private one at that matter, it serves “useful” to be able to identify that group via a special logo.

Let’s look at a Roblox example:
Look at the Roblox group F.E.A.R.

F.E.A.R. is a really expanded group, having an individual group for almost every purpose you can think of. If you look at these expansion groups, they don’t all share the same logo. They share logos unique to them while also keeping the same theme.
Fear Logo 1Fear Logo 2Fear Logo 3Fear Logo 4

I feel something like that is what we need. A logo that is similar enough to the Roblox and Studio logos so that people can look at it and easily identify it as a part of Roblox, but unique enough so people can tell that it is a separate “branch”, if you will, from the rest of the developer community.

Just using the Roblox Studio logo with the text “Developer” underneath it, in my mind, makes it too similar to the Roblox logos and does not satisfy this goal.

15 Likes

Yeah I kinda failed at communicating my point lol

Alright, so the DevForum is kind of associated with studio, but it’s not part of studio, at least as far as I know.

Usually copying a logo and adding some text signifies that the entity is sub-entity of whatever the logo originally belonged to.

The DevForum is separate from studio, so why is it being marketed as being part of it?

Having the same color is fine, but the logo should in some way separate itself from the application.

Also an out of context issue is that adding text (something that is fairly complex and fine) to a logo that is meant to be simple and usable at small sizes is not good design.

In the end, it’s your guys’ choice. This is just what my mind interprets the current logo as.

15 Likes

That’s just because they can’t find one designer who would do them all and do a good job at it, those are not cohesive at ALL

I know how clans work, those logos only got like that because whatever kids started those divisions had to beg and beg and beg to even get a graphic designer to make a logo period

4 Likes

Re people criticising doing this for the sake of consistency, I just want to confess:

When we switched to Discourse and got that logo I honestly thought it was some Discourse stock logo. (remember no other Roblox branding used a tilted square at the time).

1 Like

The Developer text just looks bad with the logo for obvious alignments and proportional reasons. It would just be better to do as you preach with the “brand identity” and just not slap text onto it and keep it by itself like just about everywhere else you used it.

I’m not saying logos as detailed and unique as that. I’m saying a main idea such as that: a logo that looks unique to the forums, but also similar enough to the Roblox logos so it both shows its position as a part of the Roblox community and as a separate branch from it.

2 Likes

Would like to add a reminder of our logo history:

=> =>

Would also like to point out that when we changed from the RBXDev logo to the Dominos logo, the feedback was heavily against the Dominos logo because it was arbitrary and not Roblox-y enough. Here we’ve come full circle where the new logo is almost the same as the first (Roblox logo + “Dev” text) and the community has done a 180 and is giving the exact opposite feedback they did with the previous logo change.

Outside of some minor issues like ugly text, the only reason anyone dislikes the new logo is because it’s change.

34 Likes

can we just stop hating lol

10 Likes

It might be interesting to offload big debates in here to another platform like Kialo… but that might undermine the purpose of the DevForum.

It’ll definitely get rid of the memes and hostility, though.

1 Like

Ty :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I like mine more.

34 Likes

We should retry this topic.

5 Likes

OwO what’s this

5 Likes

C O M P R O M I S E

11 Likes

Personally, I feel the more classy option, and more useful for the websites sake would be more along the lines of:

Like right now, the little logo at the top of the webpage (in the tab, idk what that’s called) makes the webpage feel like robloxstudio.com rather than devforum, because it’s literally just the studio logo at the top of the page. You can’t see any text saying “developer” or otherwise signifying it from just plain old studio.

34 Likes

I like it. I think having multiple logos across the platform confuses the brand. My only complaint is that I don’t like the way the text is scaled to the logo. But the color is great (matching studio is good).

I also think it is pretty ironic that many people originally disliked the old logo and now many users are willing to die on a hill for it.

reee it’s still here

13 Likes

It is the studio logo

i don’t really like how it’s the exact same as the roblox studio icon. when you first see it, you’ll automatically think roblox studio, not developer forums.
maybe if you still want to shoot for the same design you could change up the color palette and maybe add something into it?

7 Likes