Roblox eats computer's network capacity

Most of the time when I try to join my game, my computer’s internet drops to zero until I give up trying to join the game. The network connection just does not work at all. Other devices are not affected, only my computer when trying to join. When it happens I just close the window and join again until it works. I mentioned the problem in a discord and somebody else mentioned they were having the same problem.

10 Likes

I have this at times when I join. (I don’t teleport enough to know if it still happens then, but probably) My Network receive in-game lowers to 0.1 or something and the internet on my whole laptop is slower. (doing a ping in cmd prompt actually shows a very high ping too)

I refer to this problem as “poison server”, as I just assume it’s a bad server (and doesn’t seem related to anything else? rejoining works fine…). Literally no idea (apart from bad server) what causes (or prevents) this.

What’s your network hardware on that computer like? I have a wifi dongle that has this issue, but as soon as I tether my phone for wifi the problem goes away. I think it has to do with devices with low bandwidth capabilities.

Also, I’ve found that for some reason, if I start a speedtest before playing a ROBLOX game, I’ll be able to join without fail. Oddly enough, the network killing only happens with ROBLOX and nothing else – I think it may be because ROBLOX throws everything at your network to download instead of feeding it piece by piece.

I had this problem for about 6 months when I got a new PC, which had a wifi dongle (Tried 2 and both had this issue) but switched to ethernet and it’s now fine! Really strange though because my laptop in the same room was absolutely fine!
There’s also this: Client Kills Wi-Fi Connection

1 Like

I did some monitoring of my wireless network card and the results got a little ??? ROBLOX network traffic spikes to nearly 40-50% for me and setting the ROBLOX process to ‘High’ caused my wireless network card to either turn off and on again or overload it too much it reset itself (disconnecting me from WiFi and re-connecting me a few minutes later)

While I do sometimes have issues with wifi interference, I’m not sure it’s much related. I just use the built-in wifi card of my laptop. A speedtest after I close ROBLOX can easily yield 20/10 (if I have no interference, which I can check with some programs on my laptop and phone). The problem also only happens as soon as ROBLOX starts and stops as soon as I close the client. Immediatly rejoining (although not the same server I think, never had this in places with only a few servers) never gave me the same issue. (probably because the chance for this happening is already low, let alone happening twice in a row)

This happens to me on my laptop

(Windows 7)

1 Like

It didn’t start happening to me until I made my place game which loads 472*472 parts right away.

I can confirm this issue. I had to use a WiFi card on my desktop for a while before I decided to route some ethernet into my room.

Launching roblox killed the WiFi card, all download/upload would cease entirely. I initially thought it was my WiFi card (because it was a bit dated), so I went out and bought a real nice high gain card with this huge antenna on it. Still had connection issues whenever I launched roblox, same issue as with the other card. (To clarify, both cards were USB)

It happened to me on almost every game apart from a baseplate or a game with barely any parts!

3 Likes

Same as @jjwood1600

Pretty much any game that’s not bare bones has the potential to reproduce the issue.

3 Likes