Roblox Freezing screen Randomly

it’s happening to me too, but mobile, and rarely, especially in LARGE maps

When this happens to you, do you guys ever see the screen freeze (but game and sounds continue) and then start to flicker between two different frames?

This happens in my game Find the Cats on an iPad air 64GB (2013). After witnessing it happen dozens of times, I’ve noticed that just when it happens, the engine seems to be trying to simplify terrain textures. In the two frames it flickers between, the first has full-res terrain and the second frame has a downsampled terrain texture.

3 Likes

Hey,

Your report is pretty much the same as what has happened to me since March 24, 2021 (roughly, almost 3 weeks). Since then, I can’t play a single game on my PC. The only thing I can do is go to the studio and develop. As you can see below, when I try to launch a game nothing happens and then it says “An unexpected error occured and Roblox needs to quit. We’re sorry!” I’m genuinely confused on why this keeps happening. My IGPU is on the latest and it keeps giving me the same error. Does anyone knows how to fix it?

unknown

1 Like

I just hope this never gets fixed cause im using it to crash WRD DLL injections, but the main reason roblox gives this error is that your graphics driver is mostly not compatiable with roblox, you would most likely to upgrade your driver. DirectX 9 is the oldest graphics driver that roblox supports.

1 Like

This started happening again for me, it haven’t occurred in months, but now it did. Now it doesn’t really make my screen white like the window was unresponsive, it just freezes. I can’t interact with the Roblox client at all. It happens sometimes when I tab out, not really while I’m playing.

Sometimes it does freeze and the screen becomes white, and then the sounds continue playing and the game is still running, even though there’s no way to interact with the client.

Specs:
RAM: 8 GB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 4600H Radeon Graphics
GPU: GeForce GTX 1650 Ti

1 Like

Something like this has been happening to me. In the game Car Crushers 2, my screen will just freeze up. There will still be sounds, and sounds will still react to my input, but there is just a frozen screen. It only happens to me on that specific game. Whenever it happens I go into task manager and end roblox client because sounds still continue after I click the x in the corner.

PC Specs:
Intel I3 CPU
8GB RAM
Intel 500D? GPU
Windows 10 Home

2 Likes

Same thing happens to me while using Studio after doing Play Test more than 3 times(to the point I can’t even work anymore), it only happens when I use Direct3D11 Graphics Mode and freezes whenever the RAM use reaches its peak(around 1.1GB-1.3GB, it happens even on a simple baseplate) and only Direct3D11 uses this amount of RAM.

I don’t know which hardware is causing the bug to me, I am suspecting about my RAM since the bug also happens on the RobloxPlayer when i play games that use too much RAM for having really big and/or detailed maps, ex: Shindo Life, Blox Fruits and A Bizarre Day(The bug never happens when I use Direct3D9 Graphics Mode, that’s why I can’t be 100% sure of which hardware is causing the problem).

Desktop Specs:
Pentium Dual Core E5700(soon upgrading to a Core 2 Quad Q8400)
SAMSUNG 500GB SATA HDD
SMART 2GB 800MHZ(in some months, I’ll be upgrading to 6GB 1066 and I will edit the post telling if the bug still happens or not)
ASUS P5G41T-M LX2/BR(GMA x4500 iGPU)
Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bits(I will migrate to Windows 10 64 Bits after upgrading my RAM)

PS: I use this PC since 2016 and the bug never happened until now.

EDIT - 09/29: I am now using a Core 2 Quad Q8400, still with 2GB ram, the freezing bug is still happening, I am almost sure my problem is RAM related.

EDIT - 10/06: I couldn’t upgrade to 6GB but i was able to make it 4GB of RAM. The freezing bug still happens, but not as often as before, and i have a theory about that bug. Roblox temporarily uses your RAM to store downloaded assets(Meshes, Audios, Decals, etc) since RAM is faster than HDD’s and SSD’s, so when the Direct3D API thinks it is using too much RAM, Roblox tries to free your RAM by deleting some assets(remember when I said the bug happens when the RAM reaches its use peak?), in that process, Roblox is rendering some assets and possibly part of these assets are the ones that are being deleted, and suddenly, the game freezes, but hey, you are still ingame, you can hear sounds and your input works normally. Turns out Roblox is wasting time looking for that asset that was deleted from your RAM, but after waiting some time, Roblox begins to render the frames again, but some fonts seem to be looking really weird, part of the letters aren’t being correctly rendered(part of it was deleted), which is why I think Roblox deletes some assets from your RAM.

EDIT - 12/01(Final Edit): So, after my main HDD decided to stop working, I got one from my leftovers and had the chance to install 64 Bits Windows, which I did and you know what? The random client freeze problem is completely gone, and now I can also use Studio freely! It seems Roblox actually needs more than just 3GB of RAM and also a 64 Bits OS in order to work properly, even if the player works in 32 Bits.

2 Likes

This just happened to me on my Alienware Area 51 laptop. No idea why and it happened before a few times but only once every 2 or 3 months.

1 Like

I found the cause for my instance of the bug: using certain textures will freeze an iPhone 6+ and also at least the iPad Air 64GB (2013) I have at home. Probably many other older devices as well.

For example if you make a part and add the decal or texture rbxassetid://6701187504 to it and view it on an iPhone 6+, the game will freeze. For some reason this only happens on some assets, here are some more: http://www.roblox.com/asset/?id=268079037 rbxassetid://835764738 http://www.roblox.com/asset/?id=22789394

What I ended up doing was writing a script that goes through every texture in my game, shows it on the screen for a bit (seems the player also has to walk around, so I automated that too), and then left it running and would periodically come back to note which textures caused the crashes. After I removed all of those textures from my game, it would then run fine.

Originally I wanted to post a bug about this, but I don’t seem to have the privileges to do so.

1 Like

It always freezes for me after 20 mins of me playing a game.

My screen freezes but I can still hear the game running in the background, I don’t know what the problem is can anyone help me?
Also my Laptop specs are:
*Lenovo IdeaPad 3 15ITL6

• Intel Core i5-1135G7 4 x 2.4 - 4.2 GHz, Tiger Lake UP3.
  • Intel Iris Xe Graphics G7 80EUs.
  • Windows 10 64 bit
  • 12 GB of ram

So I don’t understand why it keeps freezing or crashing me.

(This happens rarely)

Specifications

• Device: HP Pavilion 15-cw1076nr
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U, 2.1 GHz, 4 Cores
  • GPU: AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics
  • Storage: 256GB PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive
  • Memory: 8GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM
  • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home 64 Bit
  • Used Since: March 11, 2021-Current (might upgrade to a HP OMEN 45L desktop)

So I was playing a game on the Roblox Windows 10 App (The player, not the beta). And suddenly my game froze for a few seconds. After that the screen flashed, and made a small “beep” sound. IDK why this happens.

I know Roblox is optimized for Intel and AMD CPUs. My old HP Notebook 17 had an AMD A10 APU, 4GB RAM and 500GB Hard Drive.

1 Like

This bug is back and live after the recent update roblox pushed to the Game for Windows.

Using 80% of my GPU on absolutely nothing. Sounds are heard from within the game, a random beep went off that sounded like Morse Code type of beep, and now I cannot join anything.

1 Like