Roblox is coming to Meta Quest!

i have a suggestion
mabey if we tether a roblox standalone to a computer running roblox studio a new run option can appear (or get un-greyed out)
run in VR
which launched your expierence in VR, with your pc acting as the server, and the roblox standalone connecting to it (either via LAN or cable)

8 Likes

I would like to see this added, both for VR and mobile. For VR, this would remove the need to connect wirelessly to my computer through Air Link (and have to deal with unpredictable frame drops visually, mainly), and for mobile, it would make testing touch-specific controls way easier, instead of having to publish then test in the live version.

These really should just be standard features in Roblox Studio.

7 Likes

yeah i was thinking as a note “you can test it, but it requires uploading and makes working offline impossible”

6 Likes

I cannot tell you how long I’ve waited for this as a player and as a developer, this is absolutely amazing! I’m super excited to see what comes from this!

7 Likes

Huge roblox W :grin: I have a question for any roblox admins lurking. How would i add support for quest VR? Is it done automatically or is it like PC-VR?

9 Likes

w roblox, but will there be graphics limitations? wondering how Ares VR would work on a oculus (I mean meta) quest

9 Likes

i think that PC-VR and quest will use the same APIs
so any existing (and functional) vr game
will work on the quest standalone

10 Likes

My post was more of a suggestion / inquiring on what may come with VR support. Thanks for letting me know the correct button term, though!

In my opinion, it would make more sense to separate them if a feature like this came out, because both devices have different controller layouts and a dev may want to experiment with how it feels to play their game using the two.

8 Likes

Will this open beta only be accessible for roblox developers or everyone?

10 Likes

I’ve been late for 10 days ago, and congratulations to team working on coming to Meta Quest, its been waiting on support for standing has been to testing VR games but good things for incredibly on things happen changing for inconvenience, i can’t waiting for another coming to see this!

10 Likes

Finally, we’ve been waiting for years and years!

12 Likes

I’m SO GLAD Roblox is adding this. I’ll share what I’ve found RobloxVR has offered so far, and some of my hopes for the future roadmap of this exciting time!

I have been developing a personal project called No More Sleep, and it has been meant to specifically support all devices Roblox technically supports (Such as Computer, Mobile, Tablet, Xbox, and VR.) To be completely honest, the support last year for VR natively was so inconsistent and unoptimized. I stumbled upon NexusVR, an R15 VR script that does tremendous work at hand tracking in real time. However, there was no public forum R6 VR script I could find, so I spent 4 months creating one. Sadly, there was an update that changed how some features worked with UserInputService and it broke it (specifically doing the math to register how the hands relatively change distance from eachother and the headset)… so I spent about another month fixing it and it works now, although some parts of GUI buttons don’t register properly for some reason still to this day. Today, you have to click the pause menu and click under the menu during the animation of the pause menu coming up, JUST to press GUI buttons.

I’m excited for this update because before this, developing on PCLink/AirLink with Oculus Quest 2 was the optimal way of “experiencing Roblox VR” before this announcement, but it had lots of issues, like with button inputs and menus (and for me lots of lag since my computer/internet wasn’t that quick [and airlink was entirely unusable with literally 0.12FPS.]) Virtual Desktop fixes the issue of speed most of the way, although there are random lag spikes – but most unfortunately – ALL of the inputs are different. I went into studio and registered the Enum button types to output in my dev console, and they were all unknown button registers. The only buttons that register are the joystick movements, and the grip triggers and index finger triggers. THAT means the four buttons and clicking the joysticks all have to do the same thing since there’s no way of differentiating them (and they’re unknown, meaning any other input that isn’t known to Roblox would do the same thing as well.)

In terms of the future, I am hoping Roblox gives us similar features the older chat system allowed us to have. A simple system with easily modifiable characteristics. An example would be teleport to move as a library function, or smooth locomotion to move as a library function. Another would be to move the hands and character’s body in live real time with the player or giving the developer the choice to select a spectator mode where you can fly around a scene. Also, having native support for both R6 and R15 would be a life saver. Right now, there isn’t very exceptional support for either, as I had to code a ton just to get the hands tracked in real time. Lastly, a reserved button for voice chat, as it’s the most effective way to communicate in VR compared to typing with a giant keyboard where you have to point to each letter. Maybe some render settings can help as well, like camera culling and adjustable detail control for particles SPECIFICALLY for VR. I am hopeful Roblox is able to add a library that holds a lot of functions similar to how the Luau library holds really useful functions derived from other scripting languages (e.g. math.round() from Javascript.) It would be fantastic if these functions were simple and to the point, while giving us some parameter options to adjust how we would see fit. Giving us options like these would be absolutely stellar and incredible. A lot of people on this forum are mentioning the simulation to save us from having to keep taking the headset off to code and put it back on to test (which I agree with entirely,) but I think the most important priority from the experience I have collected through tons of trial and error would be to have consistent, working button inputs for each controller button, AND have a powerful library we can reference that saves us from using a variety of services that may be subjected to change in future Roblox Updates. Today, I have to cross using UserInputService and VRService since there’s virtually no functions in VRService. Hopefully soon we can see that change to have VRService manage EVERYTHING relating to Virtual Reality with a powerful library.

Just wanted to share my past struggles, findings, and future thoughts over the past 2-3 years with RobloxVR development specifically, before getting to where we are today. Hope this helps Roblox and anyone who reads this going forward with developing for VR on Roblox! :slight_smile:

24 Likes

PS5 support pleeeeaaase. Like years ago I heard leaks about that idk what happened.

18 Likes

PS5 support may not be coming anytime soon due to “child safety concerns”.

17 Likes

I’m assuming games like VR Hands will work the same as they did on PC VR? Correct me if I’m wrong.

15 Likes

Now, with the recent update to heads, are we going to be able to get eye and face tracking on the Quest Pro (and I assume 3?) working under dynamic heads? That would be interesting!

14 Likes

How would you get face tracking when it’s stuffed behind a headset?

13 Likes

the quest pro has face tracking

13 Likes

i doubt anyones going to use quest pro to play roblox lmao

15 Likes

knowing that the quest pro is 50% faster than the quest 2, it wouldnt be surprising

12 Likes