Roblox is looking for a Lua Engineer

This is an opportunity for both (full time & potential Roblox internship)

The impact that you can have at Roblox is powerful. We’re looking for someone who’s eager to take on a meaningful role in the success of Roblox on a massive scale. Someone who takes play seriously, but also isn’t afraid to have some fun either. Someone who’s ready to take Roblox—and their career—to the next level.

The engineers at Roblox are working on the hardest problems in tech today – distributed systems, real time communication, 3D co-experience, massive data processing, social networking, rendering, physics, and more. As a Roblox engineer, you will have real ownership and impact across one or more of these domains.

As a Lua Engineer working on the Monetization team, you will be responsible for all parts of the Roblox economy. From purchasing Robux and subscription products, buying and selling virtual items, creating new products for game developers, and managing the real time advertising bidding engine. The Monetization team processes real money transactions in currencies all over the world, and maintains a virtual marketplace that handles over 4 million transactions a day. The team provides the infrastructure and statistics to empower developers to monetize their games, with our top developers earning millions of dollars each year.

You Are:

• Familiar with developing games in Roblox Studio
  • A solid programmer with demonstrable skills with compiled languages such as C#, Java, C++, or others
  • Proficient with Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL or other database technologies
  • Focused on writing clear, readable, testable, and monitored code
  • Someone who has an interest in scripting, especially working in Lua

You Might Have:

• Familiarity with JavaScript frameworks, especially React / Redux
  • Familiarity with the Roblox Lua roact / rodux projects

Roblox is the largest social platform for play that allows kids to imagine, create, and play together in immersive 3D worlds. Over 29 million user-generated online games have been produced on the Roblox platform with over 64 million monthly active players visiting Roblox every month to create adventures, play games, role-play, and learn with friends in a family-friendly environment. Roblox is accessible on all modern smartphones, tablets, desktops, Xbox One, Oculus Rift, and other popular VR platforms. In 2017, Roblox was named to the Inc. 5000 list of Fastest-Growing Private Companies in America for the second consecutive year.

Interested?! Apply Here
Please do not post your application in this topic. Questions and comments are welcome!

67 Likes

It’s really cool that Roblox’s Developer Relations team has put out so many job opportunities. Really cool that stuff like this is possible at Roblox.

Good luck to those that apply, hope you find the right place.

13 Likes

Me thinks this is a just software engineering position where you may work with Lua more than a Lua engineering position, but who am I to judge? :wink:

7 Likes

Is there a timeline for when this starts?

4 Likes

Glad these opportunities exist to developers. Good luck to anyone who applies!

P.S. the unlimited free snacks sounds good!

4 Likes

If I lived in Cali I would definitely apply in a heartbeat. But alas, I live across the country.

2 Likes

i wish but I live on the other side of the world D: and I heard living costs are just stupidly high in California :frowning:

1 Like

Why does it say Lua Engineer and then ask for

• A solid programmer with demonstrable skills with compiled languages such as C#, Java, C++, or others
  • Proficient with Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL or other database technologies

I’m confused

13 Likes

This is a really great opportunity that Roblox Developers Relations Team. Had put out for a lot of people to apply, for this kind of job.

Good luck to everyone who apply, for this job hope you have a great time.

1 Like

Would agree, however I assume it would have to do with their backend data storing and platform coding, which you would probably have to know your way around in to be able to fully cater to their needs.

This isn’t the appropriate place for speculation or rumoured updates, and I don’t think you’ll get an answer to that.

I think they pay high amounts as well for a Lua Engineer

1 Like

They probably want a T-shaped engineer who has a focus on Lua, but not being their only programming/engineering skill. Not just someone that just worked in Lua a lot.

3 Likes

I wonder. Do we get paid at all?

It’s a job. People usually get paid for those.

13 Likes

I’m currently an intern working on similar things as what the job description is about, and Roblox has been massively shifting to port iOS and Android apps to Lua. Regardless of this, the job unavoidably involves reading native code and working with languages and technologies as the ones you’ve mentioned; for example, there might be involvement in the integration of some database system with the Lua app and it’ll be your job to make sure it all works (Roact is although impressive not nearly close to impeccable).

Good luck to the applicants!

If someone is qualified for this job, why would they choose the internship route as opposed to getting a full time job with an “actual” salary? Just curious :slight_smile:

Usually for logistical purposes considering college students in their junior year can’t yet commit to a full-time job

For college / university students majoring in something like Computer Science (with at least 2 years of college so far), it would make sense that the intern route would be great. However, these students would have to fly over to California, and pay rent during the summer time (assuming they aren’t from California), and they would only be making an intern salary (assuming $10-30 / hour) - which probably isn’t enough to cover the cost of living in California.

The minimum wage in California is $15; there is absolutely zero possibility that it would ever dip beneath that let alone get close to it. My current internship program provides me with a housing stipend separate from the salary

3 Likes