ROBLOX, maybe try to implement more manipulable texture maps?

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to make textures on 3D models look nice. I’m wondering if eventually, you guys are able to implement a more dynamic texturing system. For example, having transparent portions in a diffuse map for a model so that ROBLOX materials would show through it.

This is kind of what I had in mind as an example (minus the amazing graphics). The whole idea is to be able to cut portions out of the texture as a transparency, save the map as a PNG, and load it on to a mesh. As a result, it’d be cool to see the ROBLOX materials through the transparent portions, kind of like how the image has a neon texture through some parts, and others not.

I think this would really help a lot of developers on ROBLOX with their games and make it look much better. I see a lot of design potential coming out of this feature, such as enhanced customizability, more dynamic looking models + visuals, etc…

17 Likes

Support! This would be tremendously useful.
Adding normal maps too would be the best thing in the universe but you don’t have to I mean whatever it’s not that big a deal but it’d be cool

3 Likes

Are you looking to do this?:

1 Like

this too pls.

This is a workaround for a pretty srrange issue. Roblox has gears with transparency, I’m unsure why it’s so difficult to make it like that.

There’s already a feature request for this: MeshPart textures

1 Like

Support in 100%

2 Likes