Roblox Microsoft Application Cursor Drifts Offscreen

In a game in First Person with multiple display monitors, looking too far to the left/right whilst having a second monitor active on the left/right will move the cursor offscreen making FPS games feel unplayable. The cursor isn’t locked in place, even without a second monitor you can notice if you look too far up/down you’ll see your cursor appear outside the application window. You can also notice this issue with shift lock.

Reproduction Steps:

Open up Roblox from the Microsoft Store
Join any game
Go into first person/shift lock and move your mouse left, right, up, or down in a game and you’ll see your cursor appear outside the window.

Expected Behaviour:
My cursor stays within the Roblox application window.

Actual Behaviour:
I see my cursor move to my other monitor.

Workarounds:
The user has to play experiences using the Roblox Website instead of launching the “Roblox” application from Microsoft Store.

This is happening on the latest version of Roblox on the Microsoft Store.
Tested on Windows 10

24 Likes

there are some fixes for this on V3RM

use on your own risk because they added hyperion and that thing hooks into UWP I believe

2 Likes

This sucks in general. Sometimes when I play games similar to slap battles I accidentally close Roblox because my cursor drifted to the X while I was in Shiftlock and I clicked to slap. All locks are FAKE!!! Not even fullscreen is safe. (Please fix UWP). You don’t need multiple monitors to see this bug.

3 Likes

FPS games on the UWP version are basically unplayable. Heck, I have had it where the camera would stop moving once the cursor hit the edge of the screen; making it impossible to look behind me due to my cursor speed if I didn’t have my second screen. I am forced to use a controller for the UWP version that I use with my alt.

This is an issue that has been unresolved for years now. Many people have reported it too, but it seems Roblox doesn’t really care about the UWP version anymore apart from adding Hyphron onto it.

6 Likes

Here’s a AutoHotkey script that can be used as a workaround until this is fixed:

AHK Script
#Persistent
SetTimer, CheckActiveWindow, 500

buttonState := false

CheckActiveWindow:
    IfWinActive, ahk_exe ApplicationFrameHost.exe
    {
        if (!buttonState)
        {
            SendInput {XButton2 down}
            buttonState := true
        }
    }
    else
    {
	if (buttonState)
        {
            SendInput {XButton2 up}
            buttonState := false
        }
    }
return
5 Likes

Luckily, it seems like they fixed the title bar and used the correct native one in UWP:

(let’s hope they don’t break it)

When fullscreen, it’s not an issue. When right clicking, it’s also not an issue.

1 Like

It is an issue, even if you’re in fullscreen, you’ll end up accidentally closing Roblox because you were looking around and clicked to use an ability.

(Or did they fix the bug)

1 Like

Not only they didn’t fix the bug, the ‘fullscreen’ option doesn’t even put you into fullscreen.
The MS Store application is a joke.

5 Likes

Definitely is an issue in both fullscreen and windowed as well as when you are right-clicking. Heck, it is even worse when you use right-click as it freezes and teleports once you let go. I recently had to deal with it on my alt and it’s annoying every time.

I tried my best to showcase the issues you mentioned still existing on the app. I also show my second screen and StreamLabs to show more of what I experience.

Interesting. I didn’t even know that was an issue.

For me, it’s a 50/50 if it decides to work. Sometimes it works and sometimes it needs a few toggles to set itself. This is probably due to it constantly thinking you’re on a mobile device (like having touch controls show up even though you’re on a PC with no touchscreen support) and just not having the option work. Heck, the fullscreen toggle in the options shows up on my phone!

I do not want to turn off my second screen just to use my alt lol. Thankfully, the web app doesn’t have this issue.

1 Like

same exact thing on mobile :skull: (correct me if im wrong)

Fullscreen works for me, it just shows taskbar/window bar when your mouse is close (which ruins it)

1 Like

It’s not anymore. It was fixed so it uses the UWP one and not the Roblox one, so they’re clearly fixing things.

I meant that it isn’t as noticeable in fullscreen.

Never seen that before.

Do you use a second screen? If you do not, this issue doesn’t seem to affect you according to my friends who only have a single monitor. All of my friends with multiple displays have experienced this issue way too many times to count.

1 Like

I don’t use a different monitor, but the cursor does drift offscreen, just hits the edges of the monitor.

I don’t believe this is exclusive to the UWP app on Windows, as there’s a similar issue on Android.

If you connect a mouse via USB or Bluetooth to an Android phone, you can get at most 90° turn in both directions horizontally with the camera, depending on where the cursor is on screen when you zoom in/right click and drag, and the cursor teleports upon left clicking in first person or letting go in third person.

There is an official documentation page about it for Android, which might be worth making a feature request for.

(While writing this, I also found some documentation from Microsoft for the mouse stuff, though I dunno if there’s anything about locking it considering I skimmed through.)

1 Like

With that being the case, we should also test Xbox and iOS.

According to MS docs, it looks like Roblox should use the API to switch to relative or “null” mouse movement, with the cursor interpreted as in the center of the screen.

I thought this was a bug that only I had but glad to know this is a actual non-system-specific bug.

For me even in first person, the mouse just keeps going out-of-screen for some reason and then ends up clicking something on my desktop or taskbar that I didn’t intend to click at all.

It’s quite frankly one of the most annoying in-game bugs I’ve ever experienced because it actually isn’t just an inconvenience but you also just end up opening apps or closing your game by accident because you weren’t paying attention to your cursor drifting out of the game.

Hey everyone - so sorry for the late response. We have a ticket for this in our system and we’ll get back to you when we have an update.

8 Likes

I’m taking a look at this issue, but don’t seem to be able to reproduce this on the UWP app. Its possible that this issue was inadvertently fixed via another change which I found while looking for a root cause. If you’re still experiencing this issue, please let me know, I’ll be marking this as fixed for now.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I’m still experiencing the issue. Here’s a video example:

If you’d like me to provide any additional details, please let me know!

2 Likes