Roblox & Microsoft Azure PlayFab News

More information on this would be nice. Will there be anything for non-top developers? Does this include the other features of Playfab such as matchmaking?

3 Likes

Cool that roblox is working with other companies to deliver better products. All I hope is it isn’t priced like the rest of Microsoft’s products and is at least cheap too new developers.

My initial inclination is to keep this as simple as possible let you figure that out. If any metric becomes particularly tricky we can look into making that an generated event on the platform side.

5 Likes

Are there any plans in the future to eventually have this service replace the in-house analytics? Instead of having a sharp requirement like “top developers”?

While it is understandable, it would still be nice to have this functionality available to everyone at some point.

4 Likes

Though the platform has usually done this. They test on bigger devs first, then see how it goes, pass it down to the rest of the people. I don’t think it’s a bad system, but it would be nice to have applications for these features.

1 Like

It’s quite disappointing to see that this analytical information is only available to “top developers”. A lot of developers who aren’t popular but close to it or starting up would definitely love to use analytics to see how their games are fairing on the market or performing as a whole.

I’ll have no complaints if this information is only accessible to top developers as a trial run, but I won’t be the happiest person if it stays that way throughout the partnership.

12 Likes

Yeah, analytics are probably more useful for a game that’s just starting out than a game that is obviously already doing well.

5 Likes

well that sucks

that really sucks…

Probably because there are too many developers on Roblox. Azure PlayFab is a paid service and I don’t think that either Roblox (monetarily) or Microsoft would be able to maintain a sudden rise in clients.

How do I get access to it? @Sorcus :smiley:

I have a Top 250 Game if that’s required

2 Likes

If you weren’t sent an e-mail; you’re not apart of beta.

1 Like

This sounds amazing. I am sad that it is only for top developers, as my family knows a good chunk of Azure.

1 Like

One question

What kind of analytics data developers are getting from this?

This kind of thing is super cool considering that I’m planning my own game for later this year.

1 Like

Custom Analytics, anything you want to track.

@ElliottLMz
I noticed, but I’m asking how to join it.

Maybe it’s not available to Top Devs yet at the moment and they are testing the API.

2 Likes

You can’t. There’s your answer.

It pains me the fact that Roblox is restricting such features to “top developers” when everyone should get the same treatment and features to help them make it big.
I don’t think everyone defines “top developer” same as others, you could be THE MOST competent scripter and developer yet not make it big so you’re not actually considered a “top developer”

2 Likes

There is probably a good reason for this, for starters, analytics are not cheap. Tracking millions of events a day can be costly, and analyzing it can be even more intensive on resources. Restricting it to top developers makes sense to me as it likely pays for itself. I say all this simply because I run multiple servers for analytics, and doing any analysis can really put a hefty CPU and disk usage on the server.

3 Likes

“Top Developer” in this case is used to define those developers who’re the top successful, with games that are on the front page and managing to stay there.

Knowing how to do something or having extensive knowledge about it, doesn’t mean you’re experienced with it. To gain experience, you need to use it and make games, from that you’ll learn things that are beyond just knowing how to perform a skill.

2 Likes

It would be dope if this was an opt in Beta Feature, it’s been announced, it’s the future, it’d be dope if this was available to all who wish to prepare for the future. Top Developer or not, I want access to everything…now! Thanks.

1 Like

Azure isn’t cheap, now try setting up a plan for millions of developers. They would end up having to use ad revenue money make it pay for itself.