Roblox moderation not allowing solid color images from being uploaded

Reproduction Steps

Upload any solid color image files to roblox

Expected Behavior

The images should be uploaded normally, not being removed by moderation.

Actual Behavior

These are what I got instead.
and these moderation actions were confirmed as mistakes by ROBLOX themselves, as I contacted support via email.

support1
support2

These were the Images I uploaded that were removed by moderations.

BaseOutline
Shadow

Workaround

Slightly changing assets name, transparency, or color used to work sometimes, but now it seems to be not working anymore.

Contacting Roblox Support might restore the images, but this usually takes too long.

Issue Area: Roblox Website
Page URL: Create - Roblox
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-08-17 00:08:00 (+09:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2022-08-19 00:08:00 (+09:00)

27 Likes

From what I’ve noticed, this seems to be related to the images getting moderated as clothing assets in-which solid-color assets are not allowed as it makes avatars appear ‘naked’.

4 Likes

I genuinely believe there’s an issue in the moderation policy going on.

On one end, we have Roblox support withdrawing the moderation on solid color uploads.
But on the other end, we have Roblox staff (https://devforum.roblox.com/t/tried-learning-how-to-use-substance-painer-warned-for-sexual-content/1927292?u=radiogamer) stating that solid colors are not allowed.

I don’t understand the reasoning behind this. If naked avatars is the issue, what is stopping a user from not equipping any clothing at all and just make all their body parts the same color, thus appearing naked?

In addition, it is easy to verify if something strange is hidden inside simply by checking RGB values and transparency of all pixels.

2 Likes

Theres default clothing applied if you don’t wear any clothes

Ok, replace the ‘not equipping clothing’ with ‘equip transparent clothing’ (easy to find in the avatar shop) and you can achieve the same thing.

And even then, this aims at decals. Clothing is something different.

This clothing usually gets deleted.

This is true, solid color clothing is not allowed, however solid-color decals should be okay however are getting moderated anyway. If your image uses the same format as a shirt / pants, it would be better to update your UV map, which you should do.

Doing this on a scale of hundreds of thousands of pixels is unfeasible.

Recently ran into this issue myself, thought that Roblox moderation was just having a moment. I tried to appeal a normal map (which was just a solid color), Instead of the interaction above I was met with a confirmation that the image does indeed fall under “Sexual Content”.

So I do believe now Roblox Support will no longer withdraw moderation on solid color images.

Hello,

My friend got moderated because he want to upload a Checkbox background,
he just got a warning.

The better we can do is waiting for moderation to change i think,
but yeah this is kinda annoying to see a gray square moderated for that.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day !

For now you can contact the mod review request group below.

https://devforum.roblox.com/g/Mod_Review_Requests

2 Likes

Thanks for the report. I filed a ticket to our internal database. I’ll come back with updates when possible.

4 Likes