Roblox' Part to Terrain as a Community Plugin

I made a port of the original Roblox Beta feature Part to Terrain functionality to a community plugin to keep it available: stravant - Part to Terrain - Roblox

Includes:

• A plugin button to open a copy of the original panel that you got when selecting Part to Terrain under the Terrain Tools panel.
  • A plugin button which does the convert with the most recent settings that you entered whether the panel is open or not.
  • Includes the never released Part → Biome functionality from the tool. Your mileage may vary, it was never released so I don’t know exactly how stable it is – I just saw and enabled the flag for it.
  • Technically allows you to show the whole Terrain Tools interface in the same panel as it was at the point where I did the port, though not all of the tools work 100% correctly because some of them like Import rely on privileged APIs (Part to Terrain does not, it should work exactly like it did before)

Screenshot:

20 Likes

Wow! This could be useful in the future! Thanks for releasing this!

Specifically the advantage over the raw APIs is that the raw APIs only let you convert parts so big.

This plugin breaks down the parts to be converted into smaller sections and gives you a progress bar if you feed very large parts to it, so that there’s no limit on what you can convert. You can basically choose an arbitrary model to convert and it will never fail:

3 Likes

yes yes yes yes

thank you so much for releasing this plugin and make it 10x better

Is there a way to do the opposite, to convert terrain to part?

Dude come on… What kind of question- Obviously you cannot convert Terrain to a part…

Why not though? (30 ch ar acters)

I can’t really go into detail with this but Terrain is a main aspect of Roblox Studio. It is not a parent of a regular part like Roblox, so you can’t convert all Terrain to a part. There is no option for it in Roblox Studio, and to my knowledge, no one has developed a plugin to do this.

Also terrain is 4x4 voxels so there is no way this is possible.

It would be very useful to see ROBLOX implement part to terrain, believable that just encasing a part with a name should realistically do the trick with loops and applying it.

Really should of been in a long time ago, curious if they ever could themselves.

I’ve always wanted to infinitely generate some form of 2D runner, it’s always seemed like the best way in my head. Scouring topics to find it.

Anyone know the exact offset I need to move my parts before converting? Since I’m trying to turn my place’s baseplates into terrain so I can use grass, the issue is that the terrain spawns higher than what the original baseplates were resulting in the terrain completely covering roads, buildings, etc. The baseplates are all thicker than 4 studs so I don’t see why the plugin still throws inaccurate results during conversion.