Roblox should automatically filter the message for Kick()

Not sure if this is a bug or a lack of a feature, but the kick function for players does not filter the text that’s shown. I wasn’t thinking about me needing to filter it because it’s a function, not really me displaying the message.

Alternately, adding a reminder in the API that you need to filter the message argument would not be a bad idea.

Anything that you (the developer) write yourself doesn’t have to go through the filter - only player-to-player communications and other outside sources need to be filtered.

If there are swears placed in any developer-made message then that will probably trigger a flag in their system.

1 Like

The reason being is that I don’t write the messages, my admins do. While I should be thinking of my admins as just normal players, I closely know all of them, and they are screened for their positions, as well as there is a no-tolerance policy on them acting up.

So, I sort of consider them an extension of myself, and as I’m not the one generating the GUI myself, the concept that I should censor the kick messages completely slipped by me.

Also, does that mean that for game development purposes, I can skip censoring messages? Like if I made a GUI for reporting bugs, that was only seen by devs and admins (who would weed out spam), could I not censor them?

I disagree. If the text does not need to be filtered, why filter it? This only really applies for things like admin commands.

3 Likes

You would have to filter player-written bug reports because there’s the potential that they may be revealing personal information.

Basically, if any other person is going to see a message and the message isn’t from the game itself, it has to be filtered.

Why not just filter the admin messages on your own? I see no reason to make this a mandatory feature just because you don’t want to filter your players’ input.

5 Likes

I could, it just wasn’t immediately obvious that I should do so.

“Alternately, adding a reminder in the API that you need to filter the message argument would not be a bad idea.” Is a solution that doesn’t filter forcefully (for whatever reasons this would be bad to have filtered?), but reminds devs to filter the messages.

In most cases, the game developer puts the message - so wouldn’t it trigger some sort of false alarm if they start filtering their own messages?

An explicit message of “If you are letting users specify a kick reason, filter their user input or your game will be moderated.” is something I’m still 50-50 about. I think it’s already clear from the filtering article (http://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=Text_Filtering) that this case is also included as an area that needs to be filtered under the given circumstances.

If that’s the case then it’s up to the admin script to filter user-generated messages.

No, you are responsible for the scripts in your game.

1 Like

How was what I said in conflict with that? I was assuming that the OP made their own admin script, as well as all other scripts in their game.

You should still filter even if it’s only going to your admins. This is because players could potentially send personally-identifiable information. You don’t really want to risk having people able to send you their phone number or house address, even if it seems like it doesn’t matter.