Roblox silently loses connection without notice or rejoin option

Roblox silently “disconnects” without warning/notice after playing for roughly 5 to 20 minutes (if I’m lucky).

So what happens?

After playing Roblox for what seems like 5 - 20 minutes, the game seemingly “freezes” or “disconnects” but without a warning or popup screens.

Everything that is server-side and other players will stop moving or hover mid-air if they were jumping with animations playing on infinite loop.

It’s like getting a lag spike that has infinite ping and the server stops responding.
But the pop-up of “You lost connection” never shows up and I am still able to move around.

Here is a video of the problem in action, as you can see I am suspended mid-air after falling down.
I don’t think it is my internet connection because I have outstanding internet.
I’ve moved my PC from one location to the other and even on a different wifi network it still happens.

When / How often does it happen?

Constantly, almost every single time. It’s been happening for at least a week for me.

System specs (in case it’s somehow hardware related)

OS - Windows 10 Pro, Build 19045.3086 (64-bit, x64-based processor)

Processor - AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 16-Core Processor, 4501 Mhz, 32 threads

Video card - RTX 4070 ti (12gb VRAM)

Installed RAM - 64gb

Other info

I use Roblox from the Firefox browser, version 114.0.2 (64-bit).

I am using the latest Roblox client, I always update.

How to reproduce?

If you’re in Europe, just play Roblox for 5 - 20 minutes.
It could be that it’s only happening in my region (I’m from the Netherlands if that helps).

I will provide more info if needed!

I could provide more videos of the issue happening as it happens constantly anyways.

I could not find a duplicate post and I wonder if it’s somehow Byfron related.

Log files were attached to the internal ticket by a Roblox Staff (@Focia19), due to the sensitive information they may contain, will not be shared publicly!

63 Likes

This has been happening to me and a lot of other friends as well.
I use an amd ryzen processor as well as 3050ti.

12 Likes

This has been happing on mobile too, recently played lumber tycoon 2 and sometimes the game freezes forever

When I check the ping from performance stats I see my ping is increasing every second and never stops (even after 100k ping!)

11 Likes

Typically when I check my ping during a disconnection the ping is just one solid flat-lined graph and the number never changes.
So if I disconnected while having 150 ms ping then the number forever stays on 150 and the graph that normally shows lag spikes just completely flatlines.

I don’t get the option to reconnect either and rejoining the game often kicks me out because Roblox thinks I’m “still playing on another session” while I left the game already.
So I have to rejoin multiple times as well.

11 Likes

Can reproduce, thought I was the only one with this issue. I use an Intel Core i5 (9th gen) for CPU, GTX 1050 Ti for GPU.
However, for some reason it takes more time to boot me off from some games, and less time from other games.

3 Likes

had this happen to me a few days ago, around when this was posted, soon after it fixed, did yours fix as well? if so please let us know

5 Likes

Thanks for the report! Do you still encounter this issue?

4 Likes

This keeps happening to me and its really annoying
my ping will just randomly freeze and i have no option to leave
and of course you know that if you are forced to leave out of nowhere it will be annoying.

Yes i do still encounter this

Also recently its been happening a little too much
like 5 times a day if you play roblox for a long time

3 Likes

For me the issue seems to be a bit random at times.
Lately it hasn’t been happening a lot to me but sometimes the silent disconnects become a bit more frequent again.

I feel like it might also have something to do with Roblox servers, regions and how stable the connection is.
My internet should be fine though since I use pretty fast and high quality internet and often am connected with ethernet to get maximum PC to router speed.

2 Likes

It has been happening to me for a long while as well (I would say a couple of months)

The f7 screen shows that the recv and ping completly freeze and don’t update (I forgot if sent also freeze)

Ryzen 5 5600G, no dedicated gpu
Using firefox
Playing from Quebec Canada
I feel like it happens more often when there are a lot of data transfers?
Some times, It would happen multiple times a day, other times it doesn’t happen for hours/days

2 Likes

I have checked multiple times when that happened and my internet was 100% fine

6 Likes

Unfortunately, yes, we do keep encountering this issue, despite my internet being 100% good.

5 Likes

There is also a post here about other games with this issue. (Started after the 16th)

3 Likes

I have this same issue since late 2022, I have a good rig, good internet, already tried to solve the issue with my internet provider along with long tests, but NO results at all. Sometimes I can play for over 2 hours and no disconnects, sometimes I play for less than 10 minutes and I already get that weird disconnect with no pop-ups.

2 Likes

I have had this issue as well for a very long time.

It happens at random, I can not see any factors that causes it to happen or that increases its chances. What has been happening to me is that the client stops receiving data from the server, but it can still send data to the server. Since it is not a “complete disconnection” and technically you are still connected to the server, Roblox will not show the “connection lost” screen.

For example, I can still move, and other people will see me move, but other players’ movement are not replicated to me, they will all be standing still. If I attempt to send a chat message, other players in the server will receive my message, even though I will not see it as sent and will not receive messages from other players.

This seems to happen more often when I am connected to a server located in England.

4 Likes

My friend and I also encountered this issue awhile back. The behavior that the OP describes is very similar to what we experienced. I believe a bug report that I filed weeks ago is related to this issue.

3 Likes

Any update? This is still occurring.

1 Like

Lately the issue has gotten a lot less.

I have optimized my internet connection and now have about as much as 40 ms ping in most Roblox games which is a near-instant response time.

Not sure if the problem is entirely solved but it does happen A LOT less now.
I think chances reduced to it happening somewhat only once in a week or so?

It seems pretty rare now so I suppose internet connection does play a bit of a role.
Switching to ethernet after I moved to a different house definitely improved it.

Though there’s still that very small chance that a disconnect happens without any warning or notice at all.

Usually you get “You lost connection to the game”, but in this case it doesn’t give you that message or give a reconnect option as my original post mentions.

1 Like

Update:

Currently on holiday and staying over at my grandparents for a while.
I took my computer with me and I am now using a wifi connection.

The wifi is decent, but now that I am no longer using ethernet, the silent disconnections have gotten a lot more frequent again lately.

So I suppose internet speed or quality does clearly affect it, but it is still weird that you can get disconnected quietly, without any form of notification and thus the issue is still present and unresolved.

2 Likes

I have noticed that as well, I use wifi all the time but I feel like when my internet was more unstable I would quietly lose connection a lot more often (this is just an impression, nothing scientific)

My guess is that there are packets being lost, but they don’t get always resent properly, making the client wait for that packet forever, blocking every other packet since they need to arrive in order

4 Likes