ROBLOX Studio (and ROBLOX app) don't save some settings when closing & reopening the software

Explanation of the bug

When closing ROBLOX Studio (the same occurs for the ROBLOX app), a lot of settings are not getting saved.
Those which are not saved (non-exhaustive list, may contain other elements I did not test):

For ROBLOX Studio:

• Script editor font,
  • Viewport render quality level.

For ROBLOX app:

• In-game mouse sensitivity,
  • In-game volume,
  • In-game render quality.

What is weird is that, on ROBLOX Studio, all the custom colors of the script editor color scheme are saved. I need to precise that I ran a command in the command bar to get all colors setup (since it was a devforum post).

Important information

ROBLOX Studio version: 0.612.0.6120532

ROBLOX app version: 0.612.6120534

Video demonstration of the bug

Studio reproduction steps:

All plugins were disabled during the test. I enrolled in all beta features except “Updated docking system”.
The bug only occurs when studio is FULLY SHUT DOWN. Closing a place & re-entering in another place does not trigger this bug.

1. I launched Studio and went in a workspace I own (the workspace doesn’t matter as the bug applies on all workspaces, even newly created ones).
  2. I go in my settings to change the font.
  3. I check if it is applied, then I shut Studio down completely.
  4. I reopen Studio, in the same workspace.
  5. I check the script editor font settings.

Font settings are not changed.

ROBLOX app reproduction steps:

Both closing the app on the main menu OR in an experience trigger the bug.
The bug only occurs when the client is FULLY SHUT DOWN. Leaving an experience & rejoining one right after (without closing the app) does not trigger this bug.

1. I launch ROBLOX, join an experience (the experience doesn’t matter as the bug applies on all experiences).
  2. I modify the mouse sensitivity, volume, and render quality settings.
  3. I leave the game (esc + L + enter), when I am back on the main menu, I shut ROBLOX down.
  4. I reopen ROBLOX app, join the same game.
  5. I check the settings I previously modified.

Settings are reset to “default”.

Additional information

This bug happened specifically on my windows device (home computer) that I bought last year. It never stopped to behave this way, even despite ROBLOX Studio/app updates.

Hardware / Software precisions

I am running my computer on/with:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • GPU: AMD RX 6750xt
  • RAM: Kingston 16x2 GB
  • Storage (C:): KINGSTON SNV2S1000G NVMe

Expected behavior

I would expect the settings to be saved. I know that the ROBLOX app wipes settings when updating, however settings are just not being saved when the app shuts down. Same for studio.

2 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

2 Likes

I’ve had these reset to their defaults occasionally as well, probably about once a week. It doesn’t happen as the result of a crash.

Hi!

Thank you for the detailed explanation of the bug and uploading a video of the issue!

Would you be able to DM me your Studio logs? They should be located in %localappdata%\Roblox\Logs
That way I can get a more detailed look into what’s potentially causing Roblox Studio to not save your settings.

Thank you for your cooperation & patience!
aDisplayCaseMoose

Hello, @aNewMoose !
Just sent you the DM with the corresponding logs.

Thanks for your assistance !