ROBLOX Studio as a 64-bit application?

A question came up way back regarding ROBLOX Studio running in 32-bit, and was wondering when it would be possible for a 64-bit build of Studio can be available?

I am recalling this because of performance improvements and increased ram usage; in general be able to work in Studio which utilizes higher-end computers (64-bit operating systems).

The referenced topic can be found here.

11 Likes

Yes please.
I am so tired of trying to generate large terrain, and studio slowing to -25 fps.

2 Likes

The reason roblox only operates with 32 bit, is that it’s compatible with all computers, even for 64 bit, and most games are 32 bit anyways. Even GTAV is 32 bit xD

So the what about an optional 64-bit download?

2 Likes

Even though the client runs as a 32-bit, I’m sure it’s possible to have a working 64-bit version of Studio, because publishing or exporting/saving place files and models should work regardless. Take Microsoft Office for example; both have 32-bit and 64-bit versions and file extensions such as .doc, .docx being opened on Word in either version would work. I know that 32-bit is convenient and that it is more compatible, but sooner more users will be on that version and want to take advantage of the 64-bit architecture. There are definite advantages to using this; faster, more secure and take on the more demanding games/places.

2 Likes

If we follow that logic then 64 bit programs shouldn’t exist.

1 Like

GTAV is 64 bit only.

2 Likes

GTAV is 64 bit only.[/quote]

oh well, saw the file as 32 bit, but idk, and doesn’t really care, as long as it works xD

Also making a program both for 32 and 64, takes more time, and resources.
You need to keep both up to date.

Idk if roblox would take the time to make yet another thing to keep updated.

1 Like

oh well, saw the file as 32 bit, but idk, and doesn’t really care, as long as it works xD

Idk if roblox would take the time to make yet another thing to keep updated.[/quote]

Just because a program is installed in “Program Files (x86)” doesn’t mean it’s a 32-bit program. For example, every steam game is installed in “Program Files (x86)”, but I know for a fact that Skyrim can use more than 1GB of RAM.

1 Like

Skyrim is a 32-bit application:

If we follow that logic then 64 bit programs shouldn’t exist.[/quote]
16 bits should be enough for anyone. Who would ever need more than 65536 distinct addresses?

[quote=Master3395]Also making a program both for 32 and 64, takes more time, and resources.

Idk if roblox would take the time to make yet another thing to keep updated.[/quote]
Considering they’re not even willing to make offline Studio, I don’t think a 64-bit version is likely to happen for some time.

It would not take time for them to keep it updated. Just have it so all they have to do is change the build type. “Debug, Release, 32bit, 64 bit”

brb pushing the 64 bit button.

Unfortunately this isn’t the case though, as some structs and variables in our engine need to be converted to work on a 64 bit app. Recently we had to do this for iOS as Apple mandated that all iOS apps run 64 bit, and this was definitely not as simple as switching the build type (I think we had one guy working on it for at least a week or two).

2 Likes

[quote] brb pushing the 64 bit button.

Unfortunately this isn’t the case though, as some structs and variables in our engine need to be converted to work on a 64 bit app. Recently we had to do this for iOS as Apple mandated that all iOS apps run 64 bit, and this was definitely not as simple as switching the build type (I think we had one guy working on it for at least a week or two). [/quote]

So for iOS the game client runs as a 64-bit app? Is it the same for android and online gameplay is not affected when users are either using a 32 or 64-bit program? I know that it’s not simple conversion as long and pointer types change.

Here’s more about the issues of changing 32 to 64-bit: http://blog.smartbear.com/sqc/10-biggest-issues-for-developers-migrating-32-bit-applications-to-64-bits/

Unfortunately this isn’t the case though, as some structs and variables in our engine need to be converted to work on a 64 bit app. Recently we had to do this for iOS as Apple mandated that all iOS apps run 64 bit, and this was definitely not as simple as switching the build type (I think we had one guy working on it for at least a week or two). [/quote]

So the iOS app is 64-bit, meaning that 32 and 64-bit clients can coexist? And yes the process of converting to Studio to 64-bit isn’t easy because of all the changes that happen: http://blog.smartbear.com/sqc/10-biggest-issues-for-developers-migrating-32-bit-applications-to-64-bits/

So the iOS app is 64-bit, meaning that 32 and 64-bit clients can coexist? And yes the process of converting to Studio to 64-bit isn’t easy because of all the changes that happen: http://blog.smartbear.com/sqc/10-biggest-issues-for-developers-migrating-32-bit-applications-to-64-bits/[/quote]

We now build both, and the App Store decides which version of the app you should get, or maybe it gives you both, not sure exactly how Apple handles it exactly but yes we do build both (XCode takes care of this for us).

[quote] Skyrim is a 32-bit application:

[/quote]

Right, I forgot that 32-bit programs max out at 2GB of ram not 1GB.

Right, I forgot that 32-bit programs max out at 2GB of ram not 1GB.[/quote]

Actually, on windows at least, 32-bit programs can be assigned up to 4GB if the linker options are set appropriately.

On Windows, Studio can use up to 4 Gb of RAM on a 64-bit machine. If it takes less memory than that or you don’t have 8+ Gb RAM, 64-bit Studio will not help you.

64-bit Studio is likely to be very similar in terms of performance (slightly faster on some workloads, slightly slower on some other workloads - don’t expect more than 10% difference either way); it is sure to be more memory-hungry, although it’s hard to say how much exactly.

We will slowly transition to 64-bit over time; just don’t treat 64-bit as a magic technology that makes programs better/faster/etc.

1 Like

[quote] On Windows, Studio can use up to 4 Gb of RAM on a 64-bit machine. If it takes less memory than that or you don’t have 8+ Gb RAM, 64-bit Studio will not help you.

64-bit Studio is likely to be very similar in terms of performance (slightly faster on some workloads, slightly slower on some other workloads - don’t expect more than 10% difference either way); it is sure to be more memory-hungry, although it’s hard to say how much exactly.

We will slowly transition to 64-bit over time; just don’t treat 64-bit as a magic technology that makes programs better/faster/etc. [/quote]

So then the only significant changes is how large of a file they can handle? (Then again programs execute instructions linearly)

Also, how would multithreading affect Studio in terms of 64-bit?