Roblox Studio freezes repeatedly when executing Find All after closing several files

Context:
This bug is hard to find reproducible steps for but I may have found a correlation (below).
This bug is intermittent but consistently shows up on a daily basis while using Roblox Studio.

Equipment:
Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 10.41.37 AM

What happens:
When I use Find All within Roblox Studio sometimes, not always, Studio will become unresponsive (although it appears responsive for several - dozens of seconds) and eventually freezes and has to be killed.

How to reproduce:
This seems to be correlated to closing many files prior to using Find All
For example:

1. open 20 files
  2. close them all at once OR close them all one at a time then use Find All - I get the freeze

I have only discovered this correlation over time i.e. I’ve seen this bug so many times that the pattern has emerged.

Once the bug occurs, it will continue occurring after studio restart, machine restart and clearing app data. At some point, it will stop occurring but I have no idea what causes it to stop occurring.

I have tested this with plugins disabled - the same problem occurs.

Here are three sample program dumps running with plugins disabled.
In “How to post a bug report”, it wasn’t clear if the dump should be taken while Studio was running successfully or frozen. These are taken a couple of minutes apart while it was frozen.

Edit: I updated Mac OS to Sonoma 14.1

Log/dump files were attached to the internal ticket by a Roblox Staff (@Focia19), due to the sensitive information they may contain, will not be shared publicly!

1 Like

We’ve filed a ticket into our internal database for this issue and will start investigating, we will update you when we have further information.

Thanks for flagging!

Still an issue, still causing major problems with development when it occurs

Similar issue
Windows 10.0.19045

Still an issue, still causing major problems with development when it occurs

Hi we have feature changes coming to revise the current find/replace functionality, and this will be address with those changes. Thanks again!

1 Like