Wednesdays will never be the same. Remember last Wednesday? Not the same as next Wednesday or any Wednesday ever again.
This week we are happy to begin the rollout of a brand new update process for Studio. The process is graceful, meaning no more forced shutdowns on Wednesdays! Instead, you will be given a prompt requesting an update, which can be applied at your convenience. (This should be a definitive fix to a long-standing issue)
The moment you have all been waiting for… the video.
Now, a couple details you should be aware of since this is a rollout…
We are starting with Windows. The same flow will be coming to Mac soon.
- Everyone will receive the old update flow to get the changes for next week
- Anyone can turn on the “Safe Studio Updates” Beta feature. This will opt you into the new flow for next week’s update. FYI - If you are already opted into this Beta feature, you will automatically get the new flow
- Anyone opted into the Beta will see Studio gracefully update for any update flows triggered from within Studio itself! Updates triggered from the web or desktop shortcut will still force a Studio shutdown (don’t worry - we’ll get this path soon!)
- We will start a percentage-based migration to the new update flow
- We will reach 100% rollout (give us a few weeks to confirm everything is stable)
- We will make backend changes that enable the new update flow to be triggered from all Studio launch flows. This means that even if Studio is launched from the web or desktop shortcut, it will update gracefully
We will update this thread as the rollout completes or if any issues are reported. Please be aware that you may receive the old update flow for a few more weeks as we roll this out. That’s expected. It will be there soon!