Roblox Studio occasionally closes, usually during Play Solo

I would question all the members of the team. Ask them:

• If they’ve installed a new plugin recently or used a free model in the Team Create build.
  • If they test if it’s happening to them in their own games when they are in Studio, or just in the Team Create game.

If you get a team member who has it happen in their games as well as in Studio then maybe recommend they double check their plugins.

The other issue is if this is a harmful script it’s probably already saved into your game.
Start by going to the top of the Explorer window and typing Script into the search bar then make sure all the scripts it finds are ones that your team has added. If you have someone who is your lead scripter maybe get them to do a search because they may be able to troubleshoot better.

Could you attach the logs please? Thanks

Thanks for the reply! I have already attached logs as part of the private message.

Update: I am now completely unable to open the place in Roblox Studio.

I have reinstalled Roblox Studio and this has not fixed the issue. This issue is also happening to other members on the team.

My team and I are also having this issue. We cannot open any studio place under the group (Glacé - Roblox) without it crashing after a few seconds.

The only change within the last hours was moving some building interiors away from the map so players could no longer see them, and that was only in the active game, not any of the others. I tried it on two separate systems, specs listed below.

Active game: 🍦Work at an Ice Cream Parlor - Roblox

Main system information:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600
RAM: 16 GB

Secondary system information:
M2 Macbbok Air, base model.

Hehe, whoops, you should have replied to @jakedies instead. Looks like they’ve already messaged you though.

This is currently an urgent issue that is stonewalling development right now as trying to open the game, trying to open scripts, or trying to Play Solo, will abruptly close studio entirely.

Have you tried checking Event viewer for relevant information relating to the crash? Had this issue a week ago or so and faulting module shows to be MSVCP140.dll, which is a file that is a part of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages.

The problem was fixed when I deleted the entire Roblox directory in AppData folder, updated Windows system through Windows Update, removed & reinstalled all the Microsoft visual C++ redis and updated Roblox studio.

While Roblox is “fixing” this problem, try your luck to playtest your game with older versions of Roblox Studio with Roblox Studio Mod Manager (may or may not work)

The original report did not have any event viewer entries, but this new issue (Studio always closing when I enter edit mode for this place) does:
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.22621.608, time stamp: 0xf5fc15a3

But I can’t imagine it’s an issue on my end if it’s happening to other developers. I believe the issue is the place somehow, maybe it was corrupted. But, we even tried to edit a build from a couple days earlier and we still couldn’t open it.

it happened to me some days ago…

Maybe it helps to resolve the issue

Hi, if you’re having this issue, we need a log file to help track down the specific crash on our end that would correspond to this one. If anyone has a place file that reproduces this issue and are willing to share you can send that as well.

Please DO NOT post logs or place files here, please private DM them so they stay private. See linked instructions.

Update: this new issue seems to have been resolved:

Requiring/Using a module from within a local script crashes studio in edge-case scenario - Bug Reports / Studio Bugs - Developer Forum | Roblox

I am now able to open the place. I will report back later if I still occasionally crash in play solo.

Edit: I still occasionally crash in Play Solo

Good to hear you are moving again. Let us know on the play solo - possible they are related, but also could be a different issue. If you do see it, please see my DM on sending fresh logs/crashes.

This is still happening occasionally.

Hi there - thanks for providing the crash info - can you tell us about this place’s use of video streams? From the log and crash dump the issue looks to be localized there.

We play a video on a video frame (client-sided only) but only when they engage in a certain action but most of the time Studio abruptly closes, we haven’t started the video.

Hi - we need a repro of this locally to act on it. So far no luck doing this internally - its likely something specific to the place file you get the crash on. Would it be possible to have some minimal setup that does reproduce this that you can send as a local file, or to grant access to a copy of the game to user ameddserM who is the staff member examining this? We don’t have access to user data due to privacy, so you have explicitly let us take a look.

Thanks!

I’m unsure how to create a repro since I don’t know exactly what’s causing it, I’ll temporarily disable the VideoFrame since as you mentioned video frame errors are being spammed in the logs (making some of my log files dozens of megabytes) and let you know if we are still experiencing crashing.

If that doesn’t solve the issue, I’ll try to grant access to that user you mentioned.

Update: I have not crashed in Play Solo ever since I set the default Video ID to an incorrect video.

This means that Studio closing unexpectedly in Play Solo is probably a Studio Bug caused by the VideoFrame attempting to load (not necessarily play!) a private video before RegisterEncryptedAsset is called? I am unsure if this bug also applies to free-to-use videos.

We couldn’t repro the crash, is this still an issue?