Roblox Studio Mod Manager

ModManager

Roblox Studio Mod Manager

( By: CloneTrooper1019 )

What is this?

The Roblox Studio Mod Manager is an open-source alternative bootstrapper for Roblox Studio. It is intended for power users who want to make experimental changes/tweaks to Roblox Studio without those changes being overwritten, and experiment with development builds/features of Roblox Studio before the general public.

Features

• File overrides are sustained between updates.
  • Updates are applied incrementally to a single directory.
  • Smooth transitions between development builds of Roblox Studio.
  • A fast flag editor, allowing you to toggle new unstable features.
  • Support for launching from the website, and from saved RBXL files.
  • File updates from Roblox’s deployment servers are only applied where needed.
  • Runs and installs in a separate directory, 100% independent of Roblox Studio’s bootstrapper.
  • An editor for adding and editing individual class icons of Roblox Studio’s class-icon sprite sheet.

ANTI-VIRUS DISCLAIMER

If you have an anti-virus program installed, there’s a non-zero chance it may flag this program as malicious, due to this application being misdiagnosed as a trojan horse.

It was flagged as such because it downloads builds of Roblox Studio from a remote location and executes them on your PC. Since anti-virus programs can’t distinguish whether this is malicious or not, it chooses to take no chances and assume it is malicious.

I’ve attempted to get this cleared several times, but haven’t had any luck so far. I may need to get the application signed by a proper certificate authority, which will cost me some money to do.

In the meantime, you can try this workaround from @boatbomber if you’d still like to use it:

Downloads

The latest version can be found on the Releases page of this repository:

You can also download the latest committed versions here:

150 Likes

Nice!

15 Likes

I originally created this topic 4 years ago, but some people have been linking to it on the forums, which inevitably lead to someone bumping the thread by accident.

As the tool has since evolved a lot from its initial release, I updated the topic to mirror the README.md file from the project’s GitHub page:

Please keep in mind: This tool is intended for power users who want more control over Roblox Studio. Although I’ve done my best to keep the tool stable, there’s always a chance for things to go wrong, especially when Roblox changes things.

22 Likes

I use this and personally I love the flexibility and how it provides me.

3 Likes

I just used this tool to force-enable the dual-debugging tool for APS, which hasn’t come out for the general public yet. It also lets me change other flags that I find important. This tool helps me out a lot. Thank you!

Edit:

I think I’ll wait until the feature is officially out before continuing to use it. Not sure whether it is truly reliable yet.

4 Likes

I apologize, but virus detected.

3 Likes

There is no virus in my code, it is open sourced and you can view it for yourself. I suspect it might be identifying it as that because the exe is unsigned. Are you using any specific anti-virus program or is your browser straight up rejecting it?

12 Likes

Out of curiosity, I just ran it through virustotal, and here are the results:

27/73 antivirus engines detected the file as malware.

1 Like

That is definitely alarming, but unless there’s a Trojan on my PC intercepting my build process and injecting itself into the program, I don’t know how that would be possible.

Again, I speculate that most of these antivirus programs are unhappy that an unsigned application is modifying registry values and downloading files from Roblox’s Amazon S3 bucket.

I will take this seriously and investigate what’s going on because I would hate for this to be true, but I have confidence that it’s a false alarm. Most of the labels you see above just label it as suspicious or generic without any deep analysis of what the program actually does.

22 Likes

So, I’ve had this sort of problem too. Windows Defender is also detecting the file as malicious and deleting it from my computer.

Then this news came up about virus detections, so I decided to recompile it myself and send it to VirusTotal.

What does this mean? Infection? idk. Take some time to think about the situation.

What I would do whenever I feel my computer is infected is I judge whether the infection is confined to my user profile or has escaped and installed itself as a rootkit.

If the infection is confined to my user profile, I use another computer account to get what data I can, and then nuke my user data to start from scratch.

If the infection is a rootkit, then I use another OS to extract my data, then I nuke the infected OS.

Just some ideas.

9 Likes

Is there some way you can compare the 2 exe files and see if they are the same or different?

3 Likes

For what its worth, my program does do file integrity checks with what it installs from Roblox’s Amazon S3 bucket.

Granted, these are MD5 checksums so they aren’t cryptographically secure, but unless this is a really smart trojan that is somehow tricking the file integrity checks for both the zip files and individual files of those files seamlessly in the background, I am skeptical that any Roblox Studio builds being installed by my program are infected.

As to what extent the application itself is actually infected, I have no clue. I’m scanning my system right now to see if it picks up anything. If you have any other suggestions, let me know. Again I really want to believe this is all a false alarm, but the evidence presented by @ForbiddenJ has me concerned.

4 Likes

MalwareBytes did detect the exe as malware, but nothing else on my system was infected.
Perhaps the infection is on my laptop? I’ll try rebuilding the exe on my desktop and see if it changes the file output.

4 Likes

Method for making a clone project:

1. In Visual Studio, create a new C# Windows Forms project named ‘RobloxStudioModManager’.

2. Delete ‘Program.cs’ and ‘Form1.cs’

3. Copy the folders containing your important files into the new project folder. Specifically, Bootstrapper, Forms, Utility, and Resources.

4. Include those folders in the project from the Project Explorer tool window.

5. Run the project.

It should run exactly the same as your normal project.

This is the method I used in the third picture to get a cleaner build.

1 Like

The main issue is that any application automatically attempting to run at startup will be flagged as virus like behavior by any anti-virus system.

While the application did do that a few years ago, it no longer does so.

The reason I was doing it at the time was to work around an issue where updates to the roblox client would overwrite my mod manager’s launch protocol, but I decided it was more invasive than necessary and got rid of it.

3 Likes

If your application is digitally signed with an authenticode signature then this problem will disappear.

2 Likes

Where can I get that? I tried to research it awhile ago but couldn’t find anything that was free.
I was probably looking at the wrong things.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, I don’t think there are any free ones out there, it has to cost money. There are some cheap ones but they’re rare to find. Getting a authenticode signature is pretty costly. But here are a few website links:

InstantSSL

Digicert

Entrustdatacard

Also here is a website that lists some of the best ones available:

SSLShopper

2 Likes

Hey everyone, after digging into this a little more, I’m still a bit inconclusive. I made a fresh build of another project of mine and scanned it with VirusTotal, but it only came back with one generic result:

I tried building the project file that @ForbiddenJ assembled for me, and got this result:

I suspect this might be a false alarm, perhaps because my program is exhibiting a specific technique or pattern used by this so-called MSIL-Perseus Trojan, but nothing comes up with my API Dump tool.

I also analyzed the application behind my Roblox Client Tracker, which does WAY more operations on my PC than the mod manager does, and it also derives the bootstrapping functionality of my mod manager:

As seen above, this only got one random result as well. With this, I feel reasonably confident that nothing is going on here, and its probably just misidentification due to some pattern in my code.

Thank you guys in advance for alerting me to this. Obviously I don’t want anyone here to get a trojan on their PC because of carelessness on my part, but I don’t think anything is going on here.

If anyone has further evidence to suggest otherwise, please let me know as soon as possible. I feel this needs more investigation than I’ve been able to do so far.

Let me know if you continue to see this reported @ogeyar

11 Likes