Roblox Video Player (Not Maintained)

Pretty cool. Probably gonna use this in a cool way! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

yes, this is terible. roblox need change about thats.

Can you send a link to this game? Seems pretty amazing

If you’ve read the comments, you’d have noticed theres no game sadly as this is against the ToS, though you could ask tyridge himself

Improvements

https://gyazo.com/fec8f59a8a2cb8951a6b92bfb04a36ce
https://gyazo.com/3ccc929ee45a28d4b4b57508c78cede2

2 Likes

New Method

Result:

Notes

• This project isn’t finished, and I don’t have much time to finish it.
  • This shouldn’t be used in a real game, it’s just an experiment. I believe that it’s against Roblox’s TOS.
  • There are other scripts that are disabled in ServerScriptService, these are old versions.
  • The commands can only be used in studio, or if your user id is in the Admins array.
  • It is laggy, and unoptimised.
  • My intention is to learn from this, not to monetise it.

Here’s how I did it:

Language
Frame data = dictionary containing RGB values for each pixel of a frame
Pixel data = decoded data, ready to be used. Contains frame data
Packet data = encoded data, in JSON format. Contains groups of frame data

Encoding
I made a python code that accessed each frame of an mp4 file. I then accessed each pixel’s RGB value of each frame and stored it, so that it can be accessed using PixelData[FrameNumber][X][Y][RGB]. During the encoding process, I divided the frames into packets (of 10, it can be any number), encoded the frames into JSON format and stored it to a local folder. Dividing the data prevents roblox scripts from timing out when decoding.

Storing
After all the data has been encoded and stored, I used Git to upload the files (containing the packet data) to my GitHub repo.

Accessing Stored Data From Roblox
Using HTTP Service, I used GetAsync() with the URL of my raw data from the repo.
Then client the requests the packets from the game server, and displays it locally.

Resources:

Code:
Python code (Replit)
Roblox uncopylocked place

Software:
Git
Visual Studio Code

MP4 Files & SoundIds:
Google Drive
Virus Total

Commands
:film {HallName} {“load”,“play”,"stop} {FilmName}
HallName is the name of the folder highlighted in blue, you may duplicate or rename the folder to change the hall name.

Setup

Note
You will require some robux to upload the audio of your video.
However, if you do not have robux, I’ve provided some mp4 files along with the uploaded sound ids for you.

Replit & GitHub

1. Create an account on replit.com, or use an existing account.

2. Go to this repl and click on “Fork repl”

Below is what you should see after forking.

3. Drag your video file into the video folder as shown below.

4. While your video is uploading. Create an account on GitHub, or use an existing account.

5. Select version control on the left panel.
    Then click on “Create a Git Repo”
    Click on “Connect to GitHub”
    This prompt will then popup, click on “Connect Replit to your GitHub Account”
    You should see something similar to this. Click on “Install & Authorize”.

After installing, you should be redirected back here. Click on “Connect to Github” again.
    Fill in your repo name here, you can enter any name you like.
    Make sure that the privacy is set to public. Then, click on "Create GitHub repository.

6. Once you video has uploaded, you will have to change these parameters.

They are (filmName,videoName,resolutionMulti,fpsMulti,packetSize)

filmName - Your film name. This will be used to identify your film.

videoName - Your video name that you just uploaded. Make sure the extension is correct (.mp4, .flv, .webm. etc.).

resolutionMulti - Scale of your resolution. This takes a number from 0 to 1. For example, 0.3 would be 3/10 of the original resolution. It’s not recommended to go above 0.3.

fpsMulti - Scale of your FPS (Frames Per Second). This takes a number from 0 to 1. For example, 0.3 would be 3/10 of the original FPS.

packetSize - Determines the number of frames in a packet. A higher packet size can result in faster loading. While a lower packet size can recede the roblox scripts from timing out.

1. Click on Run.

When running it for the first time, it might take some time for the packages to download. This is normal.
    Once all packages has been installed, the encoding progress begins. It should show you a progress counter as shown below.

This should show up after it has completed.

2. Once the encoding process has been completed. Go back to version control
    Check that the PacketData folder is apart of the changed folder. If not, try refreshing the page.
    Type in your push message, it can be anything.
    Then, click on “Commit & push”"
    The side panel will then turn grey until it has completed pushing.

If you go into github.com > My Repositories > (Your Repository name) > PacketData > (Your Film Name), you should be able to see your packet files.

Roblox
9) Open the open-sourced roblox place linked above (In resources). In ServerScriptService, find the ModuleScript named “CombinedData” and open it.
In the first few lines of the code, change RepositoryName to your repository name from step 5, and change GitHubAccountUsername to your github account username from step 4.

1. Scroll down to a dictionary named FilmData
    Copy and paste your film name from step 6 and the sound id of your video. Adjust the volume and playback speed if needed (optional). If you are uploading a new film, duplicate the dictionary as seen below.

2. (Optional step) Open the FilmClient script.
    Change PreloadSeconds and PreloadInterval to your liking.

Increasing PreloadInterval can decrease lag spike, but can cause data to be transmitted too slowly. Increasing PreloadSeconds can allow a lower PreloadInterval, but client memory will also increase.

3. Play the game, a progress counter should show up in the output.
    Once all data has been aquired, “Got Film Data” should show up in the output.

4. At this point, you can play the film, but not before loading it. Type in chat :film Test1 load (Your Film Name). Test1 refers to the hall folder name in workspace.
    The preload will then begin. After waiting a few seconds, type in chat :film Test1 play, you video should begin playing. You can stop the video by typing in chat :film Test1 stop

Uploading new videos
Repeat step 3 (Uploading the video)
Repeat step 6 to step 8
Repeat step 10

You may use this however you like, but I will not be responsible if you use this maliciously.

If you have any questions, or if anything is missing from the explanation, please let me know c:

17 Likes

I didn’t want to make another post for this, because everything is already here, but should I? It seems a little crowded.

2 Likes

I would love to see a more in-depth post of this sort of thing.

More in-depth about setting up the project or about how it’s coded?

Set up and how to change possibly?

hey jon, that is interesting… but why is the backend code not showing in any of ur links. I really wanted to make a video project like this. I wanted to study the backend but the link keeps leading to a blank “This page is not found” page.

1 Like

I’ve removed it for now, I’m writing up a tutorial on it right now. Here’s the zip of the backend code.
OptimisedPixelVideoEncoder - Copy.zip (6.1 KB)

1 Like

thanks for the response, ill look at the zip.

1 Like

Btw, Jon what webserver do you use for your python code? Gltich or Python’s native server?

1 Like

I don’t use any web server, I just upload it to GitHub. I can get the raw data from there. Basically, GitHub is the web server. I’ve finished the tutorial, let me know if you have any questions. c:

1 Like

Ohh ok… i didnt know that github was the webserver. I guess i gotta make my own repository and connect it to roblox… since u dont have one for the project.

1 Like

he meant that he uses github as a rest api. if you didnt know you can use github pages to basically store any data there and use it as a database, but it is comparable as cafes using discord webhooks in terms of legality

1 Like

Yup, I use GitHub as a database. This is likely against their TOS, so proceed at your own risk. But as long as it’s not terabytes of storage, it should be fine. I used GitHub so that I didn’t have to worry about the memory and data transfer limitations of a replit web server, it is also much faster at sending data to roblox.

1 Like

Interesting… Congrats Jon, you made an efficient, fast and good fps video player after going through 3 different methods.

1 Like

Thanks man, but it’s still not the most efficient way, that’s why I didn’t bother finishing it.

1 Like