Saving `Model` instance to `rbxmx` file causes consistent crash

Reproduction Steps
Currently, as of 12/17/21, attempting to save a specific Model instance to an rbxmx file on the filesystem via the “save to file…” feature causes a consistent crash.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open “Leaderboards.rbxl” (attached privately below)
  2. Right click on “ClassicTower” in game.Workspace. Click on “Save to file…”
  3. Save the model as an rbxmx somewhere in your documents folder, then click “Ok”.
  4. Observe that studio has crashed.

Expected Behavior
It is expected that the file would be saved to the file system without studio crashing.

Actual Behavior
Studio crashes and corrupts the file you tried saving.

Workaround
Using remodel to save the model file instead of using studio to save it

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Crashing
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly
A private message is associated with this bug report

7 Likes

Thanks for the report! We will follow up when we have an update for you.

4 Likes

Hi, this problem is still happening as of 4/7/22:

2 Likes

It’s also worth noting - @Spathi was able to save the model that causes this crash perfectly fine.
When I tried saving this model on all of my machines (Desktop, Gaming laptop, Convertible Laptop), the crash occurred 100% of the time.

His CPU is an Intel i7 11700F. My machines all have AMD Ryzen CPUs (Desktop has a Ryzen 5 3600x, convertible has a Ryzen 5 2500u, gaming laptop has a Ryzen 7 5800H).

1 Like

This is still happening as of 5/5/22. This is a major workflow blocker, it would be greatly appreciated if this could be looked into!

3 Likes

UPDATE : I’ve been talking to an engineer about this.

If you’re experiencing this crash, disabling the “Performance” widget will prevent this crash from occurring. A fix is in the works!

1 Like

UPDATE : This is fixed as of 7/25/22! Big thank you to @LightningRagingBull and any other studio engineers that worked on this fix :pray:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.