Say "Hello" to Display Names!

That’s something a lot of people are confused about. I’m in the U.S., and I am currently able to see that when someone set a display name it appears above their head but not on the leaderboard or in chat. I also can only see their username on their profile. I’m not sure what countries (if any) have the ability to change display names at the moment.

2 Likes

i like the update tho.
Its pretty cool to have a display name

7 Likes

To propose a system for verifying who is a “Developer” is not possible within those restraints. How are you supposed to choose who is a “developer”? Anyone that has made a game? Have 1000 plays? 10000? Such a system would be too complex, and could be quite obviously exploited. The whole idea of roblox is that it’s player base is symbiotic with it’s game development team. You can’t group “devs” without including or excluding people who shouldn’t be.

1 Like

It’s good, I just hope their filtering system for the names is sufficient and updated to what abusers are doing.

1 Like

You raise a good point. The only way would be to manually verify every developer. Such a process would be very tedious.

2 Likes

It would be way easy to either

• Not allow display names which are the username of the place owner (possibly team create members/HRs)
  • Add a DisplayName disable such that games having such problems often can disable it

Both of these of course could be scripted by any player, and someone already open sourced a bypass to Show Both display names and @s

2 Likes

ye ur right, i saw alot of abusive names

2 Likes

Honestly, I understand that impersonation is a huge issue, but I also feel like this update is getting a lot more hate than it should be. I feel like Roblox should finish the filtering system and finish up the update, then they should release for a single week all around the world. If too much damage is done, then display names should be canceled. If things are able to kept somewhat orderly, then Roblox could think more about implementing them.

5 Likes

People are definitely making more non-constructive noise than is required

2 Likes

Im not a fan of it.
The name copying already started. Someone stole my name…

2 Likes

The biggest problem of display name, some abuse with this for impersonate a youtuber, also it would take lot of times for add all youtubers, staff and developper’s similar name (like P1nkL3af or Ruso) to the filter

2 Likes

LOL, this cracked me up. I believe a users original username will still appear in chat, I’m not sure though! :thinking:

This could be great, but also not. I believe that users should be able to change their display name, but some names should be reserved. Some suggestions:

• Admins
  • Star Creators
  • Official Model Makers
  • Anyone who has a minimum number of visits on a place they can edit should be able to apply for a “name lock”. I think 10,000 is a good number.
4 Likes

I am personally not a fan of the display names for a few reasons, you don’t have very much limitations. What about the dangerous users out there trying to grab account’s? I don’t see anything about popular game developer’s, youtubers, and so on being put on the limitation so user’s can’t impersonate.

What even is the point in display names? It’s like changing your username but only the display name portion, might as well make username changes free as well, I guess. I love most of the updates you the staff team gives us, but I am not a big fan of display name updates.

1 Like

Display Names are not unique. With the introduction of this feature, your Display Name is what will appear in places such as chat, player lists, or over your in-game character’s head.

This is literally what it says in the post, if you thoroughly read it.

2 Likes

Could this be the reason the chat started breaking all of a sudden?

1 Like

For this moment, we can only use display names for show it above your character in some games

My location is Germany but I don’t have display names is this a glitch or is this like not out still because people have it.

1 Like

Display names were removed, probably due to the amount of issues.

1 Like

Display names were out for the time being for testing purposes. They were only meant to be out for a few hours time in the first place.

3 Likes