Say "Hello" to Display Names!

I have a controversial proposal:

What if for all the extremely worried developers about impersonation, you could get a sort of “license” to your username for a large fee? Probably relatively expensive so people can’t go around sniping display names as well. Maybe 25,000 - 100,000 robux

Owners of large games could use this to avoid impersonation in any game

Also
There could be a feature that automatically hides any display names that are the same as the game creator of the place they’re in?

3 Likes

Again, Roblox already has special identifiers and unique badges to those who qualify for it, so the point of impersonation only applies to a small group of Roblox celebrities and developers. Either way, it’s pretty easy to identify an impersonator compared to an actual person via their username, so this risk is very minimal and does not pose much of a threat compared to other on-going problems on the platform.

2 Likes

I mean, the feature is a good idea, seeing as how you can now have a single name across the entire platform that doesn’t clash too much against your actual username. I understand the complaints also about how malicious actors can use this against players.

E: I also note your specific mention about social roleplay games having a display name feature.

2 Likes

Exactly. Especially when players are prompted to set one to begin with, increasing awareness.

1 Like

Some children, don’t know official roblox developers have badges.

2 Likes

Putting a paywall behind devs to stop their own impersonation is bad UX and shouldn’t be the solution. Devs will just not purchase this and impersonation will still be a huge problem. I personally don’t want to drop $350 on a username, at that point i’d rather people just be misled.

4 Likes

A lot of kids won’t think about checking reliability. They just see their favorite youtuber sending them a free robux link and that’s enough for them to get scammed.

2 Likes

Because it isn’t explicit. Setting a DisplayName is much easier to notice than looking at the profile of a specific user or looking at a hidden badge list.

This isn’t confirmed, but it’s likely Roblox will make DisplayNames part of the sign-up process, further decreasing chances of getting tricked by it.

Well, if roblox is going to implement this update, roblox should implement a developer verification badge, that only a selected developers qualify for, this badge would show up in game, basically like other social medias.

What do you all think? Heart this if you agree.

4 Likes

Sure, but prioritizing it over the user’s real username? This will cause real issues that way outway the benefits of a platform wide nickname that isn’t really necessary.

2 Likes

I agree completely. A system to easily identify popular users could be a further step on avoiding impersonation, with or without DisplayNames.

3 Likes

The only people worth impersonating and blacklisting are official roblox staff. Definitely possible to filter out anyone trying to change their display name to the username of anyone on the roblox team.

2 Likes

See my reply to another person in this thread.

1 Like

Very interesting update. What will happen to the username change cost then? Will it just go away and whatever you have as your username is permanent?

1 Like

Not just staff, youtubers and other celebrities too.

2 Likes

Actually, there’s already a filter in place to avoid situations where someone tries to impersonate a Roblox staff. Seems like a few top devs are included in it too, but it’s definitely not the solution.

2 Likes

Filter cannot stop 100% of the scams, there’s always some methods to get past it.

1 Like

That’s why it’s for big games. The fee surely wouldn’t hurt massive creators bringing in well over that amount every day who are looking to stop impersonation of them throughout the entire platform.

For smaller devs who aren’t being impersonated in scam games on the daily, a filter to prevent people from using your username as their display name in your games should be adequate.

2 Likes

Or just don’t release this feature at all. A verification system doesn’t solve all the issues, only dev impersonation.

I can’t imagine all the people joining the game named “Builderman” or something… How are you supposed to distinguish anyone?

1 Like

Mhm, I’d be perfectly fine if there was a verification program. (Not just for youtubers) but for developers as well.