Say "Hello" to Display Names!

I’m hoping that it will be made very obvious when somebody is using a display name, like a simple text indicator. I fear people may use this to take advantage of other users (especially younger users). Otherwise, I’m very excited and can’t wait to be able to use cool this new feature.

1 Like

I think they mean in a non-literal dox sense, as in someone impersonating and leaking the true address to get away with it? Granted, it’s illegal so it’s not so bright to do that, but it’s the only reason I can think of lol.

1 Like

Really though, roblox seems to be bringing more and more bad updates, first it was the 3 day pending wait, then they changed that to 3-7 days, and now to this? Come on.

Yes, that’s the case. Places such as the playerlist will display the real username right below the displayname.

1 Like

Finally… no more haunting of ‘DybalaplaysYT’ from my youth.

Can display names be taken or can anyone choose any? Display names will be kind of useless if they can be taken.

What’s the point of DisplayNames if they can’t be equal to an username? Might as well just lift the restrictions on usernames.

You should probably read the replies instead of ranting about how bad the update is.

Sounds really nice but I’m worried about one thing: Exploiters and other abusers can use it to hide their identity from game’s moderators, especially in games made by people with less scripting experience.

Against this statement, it’s 10$ for a name change, and let’s not forget impersonation being plausible.

Well obviously, I’m sorry, as a creator on this platform, I am worried about being impersonated, if you cannot already tell.

1 Like

Lets make an assumption, most users in roblox are children who are gullible. Meaning they easily fall for impersonations like these, so is it really useful?

1 Like

Will there be a per-game setting to disable display names as games see fit? Preferably programmable in-game and onsite.

Sounds great! You should add a Roblox check mark to prevent impersonating!

3 Likes

Oh well then guess it’s practically another pointless update that no one asked for

2 Likes

It probably won’t be much of a problem. Old moderation panels will still use Player.Name.

Since DisplayNames are a unique property, new developers will most likely use Name instead, as it’s equal to other instances.

I fail to see your point. Impersonation issues such as fake user groups and similar names still exist. Impersonators will simply work with whatever they have.

1 Like

I really don’t understand why roblox cannot simply implement an update that we’ve all asked for? Instead of coming out with pointless ones that will just harm the developer community, I would recommend roblox re-consider their choice of pushing this out.

1 Like

I’m completely against this, I’m not a fan of this update. I don’t think this should roll out at all, I already see a bunch of problems / red flags. First and most important, impersonation will be the main issue and it’s going to hurt a lot of people since impersonation will be much easier. Also this feature will be abused for sure, please reconsider this.

On top of that, people will no longer need to change their username and will just use the display name feature instead of changing their username since it’s free. Changing your username cost 1,000 robux so it will definitely affect your revenue since a lot of people do spend a lot on username changes.

8 Likes

This facilitates it that’s my point.

1 Like

That’s subjective. While I understand your fears, they are mostly unfounded, as shown by past replies.

2 Likes