Say "Hello" to Display Names!

You’d be surprised how little of a following you need before people start to impersonate you. I wouldn’t consider myself a huge developer however people are constantly trying to impersonate me.

3 Likes

To be honest, scamming content such as that has been around on Roblox for a very long time and is in fact not alarming. I really don’t believe that it will be a much effective way with the new update to get people hooked onto a typical “free robux” scam, and actually, much of the kids who fall for it to do not fall under the demographic for what phising and compromising communities look for. They target high powered developers, content creators, and rich traders as having access to their accounts can cause a lot more damage compared to a regular bacon-hair.

2 Likes

Of course. As stated a lot of times before, this update will allow newer players to have shorter and better names. As Roblox grows as a platform, unique names become unsustainable, so a system similar to this was coming sooner or later.

Do you want a 3 letter name? Sure, go ahead, now it’s possible with DisplayNames.

3 Likes

Definitely correct about that controversial bit. I personally do not think Roblox should implement a ‘license’ to the ability to use a certain display name, at least with your idea of it. Tens of thousands of Robux should not guarantee someone a display name on Roblox. Think of developers who are smaller and receive proportional amounts of impersonation attempts.

3 Likes

Impersonation, confusion, etc… If a game needs custom username system, they just make it. There are even freemodels for that.

1 Like

I agree with many others here; there needs to be some sort of opt-in system for those who are worried about impersonation, because frankly no one is going to enjoy being impersonated.

However, it is a little harder to implement such a system, because it’s similar to how malicious messages bypass Roblox chat; there is too much combinatorics and exceptions/edge cases involved that can cover all the potential cases. Plus, it could be rather unfortunate if people with more recognizable usernames like “David” applied, because another user may identify by that name as well.

1 Like

i domt know… impersonating might be a thing to handle over here, i think roblox should find a solution to this when this gets released…

Obviously, but you also need a very large following for games that use your name to scam others to start appearing on the platform (adopt me scam games)

I don’t think there’s any good solution to this if Roblox is so persistent on rolling it out but this could definitely help. In terms of UX, it could appear on your development page once you have a certain number of place visits

Yes, I get your point but how do shorter and better usernames improve a players experience?

Just adding onto this point… it allows for much greater freedom and personalization when it comes to people picking their names. I am sure we all had that struggle thinking of ‘that’ username then finding out it’s already taken, and I experienced that way back in the day in 2012/2013. With this, the possibilities are unlimited! I’m typically known as “Syntaxical”, but setting my Display Name to ‘syntax’ sounds more appealing to me.

4 Likes

By allowing players to express themselves. You can have (pretty much) any name you want without adding arbitrary characters.

It also allows easier name changes. Instead of paying 1k Robux for changing your username, you can change your DisplayName for absolutely free.

It also expands international support, since DisplayNames allow some unicode characters, instead of being limited to the english alphabet and a single underscore.

It’s also a necessity. Roblox is quite literally running out of (good) usernames. Imagine how platforms such as twitter would be if there were only handles.

3 Likes

To be completely honest with this update, the only major issue here is impersonation If you have people that don’t like you (like me of course) they can easily impersonate you and frame you and attempt to ruin your reputation, that is why most of us are trying to recommend a verification system, to stop this from happening, or simply don’t roll out this update at all and fill it in with something we have been asking for. This update is basically one of the major key issues with previous recommendations about a “Group Name Change” feature, the complaint there is once again, impersonation of original groups. If Roblox wants to make all developers happy, they should create a poll and not bombard us with an update, that half of us dislike.

2 Likes

Will names of popular Roblox youtubers and staff be banned from being used as a display name? If not, impersonation is a big risk…

2 Likes

That leaves out the thousands of popular developers and other well-known influencers. Simply blacklisting staff is not enough to prevent impersonation.

2 Likes

Having to buy-in to prevent people from impersonating you sounds like a dystopian roblox future, especially when devex payouts are very low compared to the current market rate for buying robux. I think every user deserves the right to not be impersonated regardless of their roblox social status/wealth.

3 Likes

NO FREAKING WAY!!! This is the feature I have been waiting for. I am so sick of not being able to change my username (It’s so expensive :,) ). Thank you so much for adding this and I will take advantage of this wonderful feature as soon as possible.

I can say that a filter for Roblox staff usernames is in place.

However, impersonation won’t be too much of a risk since it’s an easily accessible option for every player, even young ones. It’s likely setting a DisplayName will be part of the sign-up process as well.

3 Likes

Never saw it from that perspective, to me it just seemed like a luxurious update that isnt urgently needed.

Or maybe roblox could create a opt-out fourm, allowing you to opt your unique username out of being able to be put as a display username of someone else’s.

3 Likes

Yes, in fact, there are no more 3-4 letter usernames left. All of them are taken.