Say "Hello" to Display Names!

Will this feature be activated for users with beta features enabled first?

1 Like

Don’t know if someone else has brought this up already since I’m not going to read all 400 replies, but won’t this make the friend system a lot more confusing?
As soon as this rolls out most active players will probably change their display name to something different from their username. If your display name is what shows in friend lists now then overnight almost everyone’s friendlist will change and it may be tedious identifying players everytime by having to go to their profile to get their username.

2 Likes

Wondering the same. Maybe it’ll only be active ingame/on actual profiles.

1 Like

Actually glad this is being added. I wonder if you’ll be able to search for users with display names in the player search. If so, then impersonation could pose a huge risk. I assume that is being considered.

1 Like

I like the idea of Display Names, but impersonating is a huge issue. People could pretend to be developers, well-known people in the Roblox community, YouTubers, and Roblox Staff. This could promote things like spam. Would this factor be included in the display name verifying system?

1 Like

Hi, what about Player.Character what name will it have? I assume Player.Name because if not it would break old games.

@be_nj I really like this update good work!

For people concern about impersonation

It’s against the rules and secondly be more careful, this isn’t a problem unique to Roblox, other platforms also have Display Names.

People have always been impersonating others regardless of this new feature, you just have to be more careful as a user, never trust anyone on the internet. and Parents needs to educate their kids more :upside_down_face:

Roblox has been considering the possibilities and ways to prevent issues

3 Likes

Hello

Damn, CoolRobloxFan is probably raging out about this lol.

This gives me some concerns. What effort will you guys do to stop bots from impersonating as “ROBLOX” and luring kids to malicious websites and scams?

1.5k people might have not known what the account page was (Jk)…

Time to act like I have a rare username.

Also, ingame how can I tell the difference between ROBLOX and 34gydf69fj in the chat?

4 Likes

Can this not be the case, please. This environment is professional, how do I know someone impersonating me isn’t going to trash my name?

3 Likes

I’m curious to know if this update will be both interesting and useful, while also being rolled out In a way that prevents things like impersonation, But overall I’d like to see where this feature heads into the future.

1 Like

As long as the user’s actual username is in close proximity to where their display name is I don’t see impersonation as being a huge problem.
Most kids also recognize users by their avatars in addition to their names, so most cases anyone trying to impersonate will have to buy the items needed to have the same avatar as the person they’re impersonating.

This update will definitely increase the cases of impersonation, but I don’t think it’ll be as big as a problem as it seems.

Pros-
Anyway, will be helpful to a large part of the community such as role-players. Let’s see what this update brings up. Wouldn’t want to call it bad or good as of yet.

Cons -
Nice to see something, that helps you have another alias, if I can say, honestly though, confusing and increasing the issues of moderation on the platform. Now I don’t know, if they will be ran through the automatic filter or a human will actually check it. We also have another issue of impersonation, but I guess as it appears as an @DisplayNameGoesHere123, I don’t think it will cause that many issues.

Smaller Con but for a programmer like me, I generally prefer using OverheadGui 's (which are just billboardgui 's, I know). So I guess I’ll have to add a small @DisplayNameGoesHere below it. Not really a con depending how you think or go about it, but just wanted to add it for those who care.

Conclusion -
I think the pros definitely overshadow the cons, and I think it will be a well received update. This is just my opinion, in this free world, you are allowed to disagree with me.

1 Like

I agree with you but just like @nachowars21 said, Roblox is a whole company. If they keep making features free then they will make less and less. Roblox needs to pay their employees and developers, it doesn’t make sense if they’re spending more paying developers and staff but the revenue is going down, right? The username change feature for sure makes a lot of money for ROBLOX, 1000 robux is $10, and you can only imagine how many people change their name everyday in total. I have a friend who changed his name a total of 35 times and is still doing so every 2 weeks for some reason but that’s $350 that ROBLOX made from him alone.

This guy changed his username over 100 times and this was 2 years ago. He probably changed it many more times like you can’t even scroll down to see all of his usernames because it will disappear, the list is that long and you can only imagine how many times he did it. From what I heard 2 years ago, he spent a total of 141k robux on username changes so for sure Roblox made a lot from him alone. Here is a link to his profile: Mew - Roblox

2 Likes

In all seriousness I don’t really like this update. Why? Roblox players are, more than ever, a target for scams these days with fake malicious websites and having this would basically further encourage it. And the fact that Roblox is actively promoting using DisplayName over Name is even scarier, it’ll be hard to distinguish players in-game

Please make it an option to disable this completely so games don’t (by default) show Display Names in the player list and chat. I don’t want to have to fork my default chat modules for an update like this

Roblox isn’t a social media site like twitter, so this update didn’t make sense to me

3 Likes

I disagree. I am also a programmer.

I think that display name are an easy way to achieve the following:

• Impersonation (think about Discord and how easy it is to impersonate someone on that platform)

• Malicious bots. Kids are on this platform and they literally fall for anything. All someone has to say is “free robux, send me ur login” and that account is gone. All because they trusted a name.

• Back up the above, no kid out there is going to check a profile. Why? Because, human species is rather lazy. And as a kid, not only are you lazy but, you’re naive.

• Hard to keep up with/manage in-game.

The only thing this really benefits imo is the people who roleplay who’re largely incredibly young and the people who made weird usernames in their youth and regret it. From a practical standpoint, I don’t think this is a good idea and will be easily abused. I honestly think that the way it is before this was good enough. Maybe wipe legacy accounts that have been inactive for a set time frame to open up some names.

Also, Roblox isn’t a social media platform so, this update doesn’t make any sense in terms of gaming or creation.

1 Like

Exactly, I agree with you. I think it’s better if we just email our suggestions or feedback to them directly, that’s what I did since I don’t think they will read all of the replies here. It will be easier for them to see our feedback.

1 Like

Woah, I absolutely adore this update! I’m glad to see that updating our display names will be free, I know I can never settle on a name- so this sounds like it’ll be a really fun change!

3 Likes

I am pretty sure it’s because they don’t want players to frequently change their names

2 Likes

This is a really valid point… If this feature rolls out it is likely that I will be having to code a reversal… :-1:

3 Likes

There’s actually no such thing, from people testing the API it seems like Star Creators, known people, staff members are all counted as moderated. That shouldn’t be that big of an concern.

I think they just need to think about the replacing uppercase "i"s from “L” lowercase.

2 Likes

You just described like 75% of the ROBLOX player base. XD

1 Like