Say "Hello" to Display Names!

From the post, it seems that all display names are put through a filter to remove any bad names. I would assume that famous names, such as “Builderman” would be on that filter.

1 Like

You probably can’t put hashtags in display names so I think it would just say “Your display name was filtered” or something like that and would make you retype it or cancel.

1 Like

YES! This is great, but will we be able to change our @? I would hate to have “Coolgamer72” as my @ and have my display name something cool.

Looks like an okay feature. Curious on how the names will be moderated.

Your “@” is your current username that you can change for 1,000 Robux.

As shown before in this discussion, changes to certain ui elements such as the playerlist will be made, showing player info like this: DisplayName (@Username), a similar system to twitter.

1 Like

Yes, but will this be staying? Or will they remove that feature completely.

That was my thought, thanks for clearing things up.

If you use Ctrl+Shift+F in Studio, it allows you to search through all scripts and all code in said scripts. It also contains a replace feature that would allow you to replace occurrences of Player.Name with Player.DisplayName.

Probably in the same way as usernames are currently moderated, I’m assuming.

I have a huge concern for this, as do many others-- Impersonation.
I feel like the possibility to limit the DisplayName feature in-game being editable and/or disable(able) to prevent impersonation.

Although this can be EASILY prevented, I think there should be a unique way to verify someone’s true identity, instead of going under the pseudo name, “ROBLOX” for example and slandering against the user in question.

If not, I think there should be a way to have a “Verified” icon, such as people who deliberately choose to keep their Username and DisplayName loyal to their Username.

2 Likes

Love the update however I can already see those impersonations doing the wildest and most inappropriate stuff just to frame other people. There should be a verification system in place…

2 Likes

I really enjoy seeing this feature hopefully be released. However, has some downsides. I think this will negatively affect role-play type games and cafe type games. On a daily basis, these games run into TONS of users doing things such as impersonation, bypassing, etc. How will this look? Same with the unicode symbols. How will other people be able to interact with display names?

1 Like

I actually never thought about game developers banning people. That will be a huge problem. I feel like it is a good concept but needs to be worked on and made perfect.

2 Likes

Yes. As stated in the post, your username will still exist, just with an @ next to it. Display Names will be what is mostly seen around Roblox, however.

1 Like

Yes, I understand that but will I be able to still change my @username because that wasn’t confirmed.

That would make sense, thank you for the reply.

1 Like

Most likely. I don’t see any reason to remove that feature.

I doubt it would be possible to blacklist the names of every person worth impersonating.

1 Like

Possibly ROBLOX can make it so you cannot have a display name set as a different person’s @?