Say "Hello" to Display Names!

This is exactly what Roblox needs to consider, I agree entirely.

They could do what I believe Maple Story used to do, where when the account’s username is removed the account is given a new username which is random numbers/letters and you can log back in via email. Most people have their email on their account, and if they don’t then they probably haven’t spent any money on it or done any game development, so the only loss would be badges.

1 Like

Seems like a lot of identity precautions would need to be put in place for a single update.

You bring up good points. Considering ROBLOX’s playerbase is primarily younger and impressionable children, it would become a MAJOR issue if those players would fall for scams or have their accounts taken by players pretending to be popular developers or creators. I fear we will see a massive influx of scams and stolen accounts in the coming months as this feature is rolled out.

1 Like

It’s been disheartening to see roblox turn into another one of the soulless meatgrinders that reside in silicon valley, however many of their “money moves” have put roblox where they are today as a top ranked company in several aspects.

That being said, I’m not sure how this would increase revenue significantly for them unless they decide to place a fee for Display Name changes. I can understand the concern that creative usernames are becoming increasingly hard to find, and whilst I can’t think of a good alternative at the moment I don’t know if this is the best way to go about it.

I mean like for famous devs, twitter(ers?), and stuff.

Is the word “Noob” allowed? Can we put Noob in our Display Name? Can we use spaces?
I want to be Noob 64

1 Like

If roblox were to prioritize Usernames on the website and prioritize Display Names for in-game UI, most of the impersonation problems become much less of a worry. Along with this, in most games users will see themselves as who they want to be which is exactly what roblox wants out of this.

The worst issue is having to double check the owner of every game I join to make sure I’m not joining a fake.

6 Likes

No doubt, this feature will and does have quite a few controversies, but somehow Roblox will solve it so that at least a large part is satisfied.

What about smaller developers? Say you’re a developer with a couple million visits under your belt and a small following, there’s still a high probability that someone will attempt to impersonate you. Same thing happened to a friend of mine a while back, someone else made an account changing the l in their name to a capital i.

2 Likes

This seems like it would a great addition, though it makes impersonation more of an issue. Might be abused a bit initially especially by Robux scambots to pretend to be ROBLOX or some known developer in-game.

However, I think this could be partially addressed by having the player list in-game show their Username after their display name so you could easily identify users who may be imposters.

Or it could be the other way around, guess we’ll need to wait to see.

I’m definitely going to have to agree with opposition on this one, Display Names depending on priority will cause a lot of confusion with account ownerships. Even if you filter out your popular developers names from the allowed list, that still puts the smaller developers/community stand outs at risk. Perhaps if there were a setting for all users to “Prioritize Usernames” when looking at profile it’ll help alleviate any future confusion.

Yes, but maybe will the games continue to keep the username normally so that there is no confusion?

I, for one, do not trust roblox will implement this correctly.

They cant leave people to fix the holes in their systems with scripting in their games.
This puts developers who cant script well at a serious disadvantage as they cannot restrict what people can do in their games.

3 Likes

Well said. It should NOT fall into the hands of a developer or even someone just making a game for fun to clean up ROBLOX’s sloppy mess.

I don’t understand what you mean, could you explain what you mean?

While this update is a great improvement, there’s little in the way of impersonation.

A possible solution that could be fully automated would be a system that “verifies” a user if their display name and username are the exact same. The verification would place a verification badge next to their name wherever it is shown.

If a user is worried about impersonation, they could opt to not use a display name and rather go for a verification badge. This way, it would be clear when someone is an impersonator as they wouldn’t have the verification badge (assuming the user that is being impersonated chooses to have a verification badge).

As an example, say Famoususer123 doesn’t want to be impersonated. Instead of changing their name to something like Famoususer, they’d keep their iconic and well established name of Famoususer123, except with a badge to show that they’re the real deal. The average player can change their name to their heart’s content and enjoy the new update. Moderation wouldn’t have to do any extra work to stop impersonators from popping up.

5 Likes

Will people be able to have the same display name as you? I would assume yes but just making sure.
I just wonder how this is all gonna work out still.

Will game developers be able to turn this feature off for their games?

1 Like