Say "Hello" to Display Names!

I see more cons than pros with this update. I personally think that display names should be similar to Twitter, having them either on top or beside a user’s username instead of usernames being hidden away in a dropdown menu on the player-list/chat. I think that this would reduce people’s fears of being impersonated as the username is always displayed. I also can see people possibly using bypassed display names as it allows Unicode. This is just my opinion though as I can see a lot of people are in favor of this update. I personally am 50/50 with this update.

2 Likes

I think this will introduce too many issues to justify adding to Roblox. Impersonation will become a huge issue, and since Roblox is primarily a kids platform, they will fall for it very easily.

1 Like

It sucks but our best bet will probably just be disabling the feature altogether.

3 Likes

This feature will definitely be used by scam bots.

4 Likes

One could make the argument that you could integrate a custom name feature in your game. It really isn’t that hard after all.

3 Likes

Another thing that rubs me the wrong way is roblox cannot possibly moderate every iteration of a moderators name.

Who’s to say they wont blacklist using Robiox or bullderman and countless other variations like bu1derm4n?

These may seem like obvious traps, but to put it frankly, kids can be dumb, and wont look twice. This goes for countless other names too that can have l replaced with I or O replaced with 0 etc.

3 Likes

Personally, I am excited for this update. Like Twitter and many other platforms, I think it would be neat if a known Developer could apply to be verified to stop people from impersonation. I couldn’t wait to be able to use this ever since it was hinted a while back. Although, I think it even costing half as much as a regular name change would stop more impersonation attempts. I mean — there is a lot of ways to counter someone impersonating an actual Developer, Youtuber, Artist, ect. Everything just takes time and effort.

Regardless, I think this is a nice push into the year and I’m excited to see what new things are coming to the platform.

4 Likes

There going to be any reimbursements for the thousands of robux spent on username changes? Understandably if not, but feels bad that I spent over 30,000 on username changes.

On a serious note though, whilst this looks like a good idea on paper, and I’m relatively pleased with the potential outcomes of this, will the filtering on this be stricter, or will usernames need to be moderated approved? Right now you can bypass the chat filter pretty easily, I don’t need people running around in my game with those types of slurs, etc…

1 Like

Will this feature be activated for users with beta features enabled first?

1 Like

Don’t know if someone else has brought this up already since I’m not going to read all 400 replies, but won’t this make the friend system a lot more confusing?
As soon as this rolls out most active players will probably change their display name to something different from their username. If your display name is what shows in friend lists now then overnight almost everyone’s friendlist will change and it may be tedious identifying players everytime by having to go to their profile to get their username.

2 Likes

Wondering the same. Maybe it’ll only be active ingame/on actual profiles.

1 Like

Actually glad this is being added. I wonder if you’ll be able to search for users with display names in the player search. If so, then impersonation could pose a huge risk. I assume that is being considered.

1 Like

I like the idea of Display Names, but impersonating is a huge issue. People could pretend to be developers, well-known people in the Roblox community, YouTubers, and Roblox Staff. This could promote things like spam. Would this factor be included in the display name verifying system?

1 Like

Hi, what about Player.Character what name will it have? I assume Player.Name because if not it would break old games.

@be_nj I really like this update good work!

For people concern about impersonation

It’s against the rules and secondly be more careful, this isn’t a problem unique to Roblox, other platforms also have Display Names.

People have always been impersonating others regardless of this new feature, you just have to be more careful as a user, never trust anyone on the internet. and Parents needs to educate their kids more :upside_down_face:

Roblox has been considering the possibilities and ways to prevent issues

3 Likes

Hello

Damn, CoolRobloxFan is probably raging out about this lol.

This gives me some concerns. What effort will you guys do to stop bots from impersonating as “ROBLOX” and luring kids to malicious websites and scams?

1.5k people might have not known what the account page was (Jk)…

Time to act like I have a rare username.

Also, ingame how can I tell the difference between ROBLOX and 34gydf69fj in the chat?

4 Likes

Can this not be the case, please. This environment is professional, how do I know someone impersonating me isn’t going to trash my name?

3 Likes

I’m curious to know if this update will be both interesting and useful, while also being rolled out In a way that prevents things like impersonation, But overall I’d like to see where this feature heads into the future.

1 Like

As long as the user’s actual username is in close proximity to where their display name is I don’t see impersonation as being a huge problem.
Most kids also recognize users by their avatars in addition to their names, so most cases anyone trying to impersonate will have to buy the items needed to have the same avatar as the person they’re impersonating.

This update will definitely increase the cases of impersonation, but I don’t think it’ll be as big as a problem as it seems.

Pros-
Anyway, will be helpful to a large part of the community such as role-players. Let’s see what this update brings up. Wouldn’t want to call it bad or good as of yet.

Cons -
Nice to see something, that helps you have another alias, if I can say, honestly though, confusing and increasing the issues of moderation on the platform. Now I don’t know, if they will be ran through the automatic filter or a human will actually check it. We also have another issue of impersonation, but I guess as it appears as an @DisplayNameGoesHere123, I don’t think it will cause that many issues.

Smaller Con but for a programmer like me, I generally prefer using OverheadGui 's (which are just billboardgui 's, I know). So I guess I’ll have to add a small @DisplayNameGoesHere below it. Not really a con depending how you think or go about it, but just wanted to add it for those who care.

Conclusion -
I think the pros definitely overshadow the cons, and I think it will be a well received update. This is just my opinion, in this free world, you are allowed to disagree with me.

1 Like

I agree with you but just like @nachowars21 said, Roblox is a whole company. If they keep making features free then they will make less and less. Roblox needs to pay their employees and developers, it doesn’t make sense if they’re spending more paying developers and staff but the revenue is going down, right? The username change feature for sure makes a lot of money for ROBLOX, 1000 robux is $10, and you can only imagine how many people change their name everyday in total. I have a friend who changed his name a total of 35 times and is still doing so every 2 weeks for some reason but that’s $350 that ROBLOX made from him alone.

This guy changed his username over 100 times and this was 2 years ago. He probably changed it many more times like you can’t even scroll down to see all of his usernames because it will disappear, the list is that long and you can only imagine how many times he did it. From what I heard 2 years ago, he spent a total of 141k robux on username changes so for sure Roblox made a lot from him alone. Here is a link to his profile: Mew - Roblox

2 Likes