Say "Hello" to Display Names!

That’s a good idea and in addition I think we should have some sort of age requirement like the account has to be above 6 months old.

1 Like

Honestly, there is nothing that i like about this update.
Impersonation and Scamming will become a big issue and will generally cause confusion.
It will also de-value old roblox usernames.

I always saw roblox Usernames as a unique identity of a player, something that you and only you have.
This is just my opinion, feel free to disagree

1 Like

That’s also a good idea because that can stop bots from impersonating youtubers, developers ect.

1 Like

hopefully people will be awarded some icon in leaderboard if they get some of the monthly visits crowns, for example rank 1 for 100 visits, rank 4 for 100k and so on, similar to how things worked for the bc tier, 1 arrow for normal, 3 for obc.

1 Like

Exactly what I stressed, outside of the scams, no one can show their creativity. In a way, it was a challenge to people to get a unique username before and now it’s just this.

1 Like

That would stop smaller developer impersonation aswell so that’s a pretty good idea.

1 Like

Yeah that should be a simple enough script to implement something like:
Players.PlayerAdded:connect(function(player)
if player.DisplayName == *insert banned names/table with banned names" then
player.DisplayName = player.Name
end
end)

1 Like

somebody can just report a user via roblox support and send screenshots of the person speaking in the chat and easly get the target banned instead of the impersonator. probably they should add a way to see the real username in the playerlist and require that as a valid proof for the report. if they do that, then that’s gonna be good for alot of helpless targetted users.

That should be built into roblox studio, The ability to add a list of blocked display names.

It should be but just for the apocalyptical scenario.

i believe the banned names will be set as tags if you try to use them with scripts.

Something like a “Developer Program” could help. It could be like the star program, where you send in a game you own, and depending on the stats on the game (new players, total views, etc.) you could get in… But with a little more security than what the star program currently is.

i totally agree with that and hopefully that will be a feature in few years, if not months, since roblox announced the developer monthly visits crowns

There are still plenty of 5 and 6 letter usernames avaliable, mixing letters and numbers, giving a player a unique identity. If you have “08247238” at the end of your name, it can only mean you couldn’t care less

I myself have had to deal with impersonations with usernames alone. Somebody made a user “iGottec” with a similar at-a-glance looking avatar. They attempted to friend my staff members saying I unadded them, but fortunately, they did it while I was on a Discord call with them. The staff described it as almost accepting it, but it didn’t seem right that I didn’t mention it beforehand.

My point is, with display names, this will be a mess. How can a guarantee protection against stuff like this?

2 Likes

They still will have a unique identity because there original name still is there.

The sad truth is that there can never be guaranteed protection from those types of people, this will happen with display names and without em. I presume the best course of proactive response would be the verification system that many have alluded to.

2 Likes

This is just an amazing update! I can finally get the name Solar! Anyway, enough about me after a single sentence.

I believe that a change to this should be an ‘opt out’. Opt out will be a system where you can say, hey I kind of don’t want anyone taking my username as their display name! Thanks! This would make it so no one could choose it and maybe even impersonate. I understand about I and l being almost identical but it will make it a bit easier to understand who is who. For scam bots, just make it so that your account has to be like a month old or something so that you can stop scam bots being like, hey I’m your friend who didn’t turn opt out off <:) Also, another thing I just had an idea of, an idea is to make it in small text the real username under it to avoid banning the wrong person.

So as a small conclusion, an opt out feature would be great and a feature to where you have to have a month account old username. The update would be great if they are added and, yeah, have a nice day.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Knowing that someone can dress up as you, take your name and impersonate you in-game, scam others and potentially ruin your reputation, leaves me cold hearted towards this update

1 Like

The impersonation was done manually by somebody with a grunge against me.