Say "Hello" to Display Names!

If it were less than a week people would constantly change display names and identity’s.

4 Likes

what on earth

I won’t lie, this is very cool, but there are some big issues.

One change a week? Seriously???
And why no warning?
Also, I can’t imagine how much worse impersonation and trolling is going to become.

Can we at least have something like a CanUseDisplayNames option to toggle their use on or off?

12 Likes

Is beta program first in the roll-out queue?

2 Likes

now this makes me think, if we have display names seperate from usernames like Twitter does, are we gonna have some sort of “verified” equivalent on Roblox as well? that’d alleviate a little bit of the impersonation concerns i’d think. just something to think about…

17 Likes

This is definitely gonna be a huge change to the platform. Personally I’ve been happy with my username ever since I made it, but I could see some would really enjoy this. Definitely looking forward to it!

Another problem that I see is that older scripts might use something like this:
game.Workspace[game.Players.LocalPlayer.Name]
Which I believe might cause problems because your player character will be set to your display name I presume? Not sure how this will work but since Humanoid characters display the name of the model itself this might also cause issues.

1 Like

Yeah but a whole week is too much don’t you think?

1 Like

Hm… Not really sure if I like this update. It’s really… Unique… Which I mean ROBLOX is trying to get to where they want their platform to be fun for all users. However, I believe this is in the wrong direction. There’s many exploiters out there. One could easily change his display name and you wouldn’t even know who he is other than his appearance, the website, or actually closely looking at him to the leaderboard. Second thing is someone can mask themselves as someone else. For example, say… “BlockBlock3000” says, “Hey! I want to be Lilly_S today.”. He could easily do so by changing his appearance to match Lilly_S and by changing his Display name as Lilly_S. No one will ever know until they look at the user’s profile.

Awesome! I can not wait for this feature! I do have a few concerns, but all of them have already been addressed by other users.

1 Like

Here comes the scammers looking and naming themselves Roblox

13 Likes

Finally, I can remove the “89” off of my name. Though the inclusion of the “@[username]” in the player list really will help combat impersonation.

6 Likes

Afaik, your Workspace name will still be your username. DisplayName only comes into effect with Humanoid.DisplayName and Player.DisplayName

3 Likes

I think a nice feature to roll out with this would be Verified tags, much like on other social media such as Twitter. If popular developers/youtubers/anyone with a recognisable name could have a verified tag on the leaderboard, similar to how the star program functions, it would eliminate a lot of impersonation concerns.

18 Likes

While it’ll be a pain to update relevant scripts to work with DisplayNames, I look forward to this feature being fully rolled out. Cheers to another great update by Roblox.

And uh, the filter thinks part of my name “Boojie” is inappropriate for some reason even though for the longest time up until recently it never did, so I hope that doesn’t impact how I have to use this feature.

What would the names look like in the leaderboards or in the chat? Will they display both or only one of them?

3 Likes

I think they should restrict Display Names from matching any username other than your own.

1 Like

I honestly think this is a terrible move in terms of community effects and this being related to malicious users. If there is no DISTINCT difference between usernames and display names, such as usernames being displayed with an @, there is a very real risk of users who don’t know better being tricked into malicious scams for say if someone set their display name to ROBLOX or of the like. Hopefully as there is going to be a few month gap between this feature being rolled out to everybody, this discrepancy gets sorted out. If it does, this could be a HUGE step in the right direction for the platform.

1 Like

Will there be a way developers can disable display names from showing up on player lists and chat? I’m not a huge fan of this update…there will be lots of impersonation and I just don’t like the idea of it. Regular usernames are fine. But I suppose if you don’t have the money to change your username, this would be good. I just don’t see the point, I guess is what I’m trying to say. Back to what I was saying–I’d like a way for display names to not be shown on the chat and whatnot. I don’t have much reasoning for anything I’ve said here, and this feature probably won’t be put in, so this reply is just a useless waste of space of someone’s useless opinion.

3 Likes

worried about the impersonation issues here.

1 Like

Roblox is doing a bunch of changes to the CoreGui, this includes the report menu.

It isn’t hard to imagine those changes will expand to the lua chat. Old forks won’t have any problems, since they’ll still use actual usernames.

7 Likes