Say hello to the new Lua dragger (Beta)

Got any more repro details? I can’t reproduce that behavior with either the Lua Draggers or the classic ones.

Sorry if this bug has already been posted, but when dragging around a part with your mouse, said part seems to slightly go up.

1 Like

Expected behavior, that’s an artifact of the way the new dragging works.

It snaps the point you picked up on the part onto the surface you’re hovering over, which means the part will jump slightly when you start dragging it unless you’re looking directly at the surface you’re dragging onto. This makes it slightly harder to micro-adjust object placement via freeform dragging, but that’s a tradeoff that we chose to make.

4 Likes

Update: New drag handle look and feel is live.

Let me know if this new look and feel is close to what you want, or if it’s still a bit too hard to tell what handle is hovered / click on the desired handle.

1 Like

This is actually a lot smoother, love it!

Studio beta features are available to everyone, regardless of Roblox Beta program status or not.

1 Like

This looks like a cool update. I was just wondering will the dragger object (Dragger | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub) be updated to match the new behavior?

No, but the new Draggers are designed to be forkable, so you’ll be able to take them (or sub components used in them) and use that code ingame or in your own plugins. The new draggers only make minimal use of restricted APIs, all of their core functionality will still work if you copy them as a user plugin.

Once they’re fully released I’m planning on making a piece of example code, implementing the old Dragger object API with the new Lua Dragger code.

4 Likes

Just found a bug involving the new rotation dragger at small scales:

While working with small parts (this case is a 0.05 stud cube) the rotation indicator lines don’t shrink far enough and obscure the part being worked on. I am also fairly close to the part in question.

0.2 stud cube slightly further away

Oops. Looks like one of my updates last week broke the scaling on those. I’ve reverted it for now.

3 Likes

I have to say, this update is fantastic!

Yeah, there might be the bug here and there, but I’m sure ROBLOX will iron them out.
It’s going to be way better than the old draggers!

Keep up the good work, ROBLOX!

I just recieved this error trying to move a model that contained a few unions and a part.

01:50:14.178 - Stack Begin

01:50:14.178 - Script ‘Plugin_MoveDragger.rbxm.MoveDragger.Packages.DraggerFramework.Utility.AttachmentMover’, Line 17 - function transformTo

01:50:14.178 - Script ‘Plugin_MoveDragger.rbxm.MoveDragger.Src.MoveToolImpl’, Line 367 - function _mouseDragWithGeometricMovement

01:50:14.179 - Script ‘Plugin_MoveDragger.rbxm.MoveDragger.Src.MoveToolImpl’, Line 341 - function mouseDrag

01:50:14.179 - Script ‘Plugin_MoveDragger.rbxm.MoveDragger.Packages.DraggerFramework.Implementation.DraggerStates.DraggingHandle’, Line 89 - function processViewChanged

01:50:14.179 - Script ‘Plugin_MoveDragger.rbxm.MoveDragger.Packages.DraggerFramework.DraggerTool’, Line 343 - function _processViewChanged

01:50:14.180 - Script ‘Plugin_MoveDragger.rbxm.MoveDragger.Packages.DraggerFramework.DraggerTool’, Line 185

01:50:14.180 - Stack End

01:48:13.550 - RunService:fireRenderStepEarlyFunctions unexpected error while invoking callback: Plugin_MoveDragger.rbxm.MoveDragger.Packages.DraggerFramework.Utility.AttachmentMover:17: bad argument #1 (table expected, got nil)

2 Likes

I have recently noticed that with the Dragger enabled, the keybind for the Lock tool no longer works. It only just toggles the Select tool.

BTW it actually does still work, you just can’t visually see it. What’s broken is the mouse icons, the icons for tools like the lock tool get clobbered after having the Lua Draggers selected due to a bug in Plugin mouse icon handling.

Hello, Before I use the Lua dragger, I double click on a certain part in a model to select the part which saves some time, but now with the new Lua dragger, It doesn’t work. This means I have to look for that part. It was a time waster. Why?

Please why double click to select part from model doesn’t work anymore?

300th reply

From my understanding, you’re trying to select a part within a model? You can hold down ALT to select an individual part.

Oh now I understand that thanks

I love this new dragging system, one question thouugh will I be abe to select a Point and then rotate a part/model from the specified point?

1 Like

We’re aware of the need for this, and looking at making further improvements like allowing that in the near future.

For now since this is already a big change where we have to be careful to avoid breaking people’s building workflow we don’t want to change more than we have to, but don’t worry, we’re far from done with our changes to the building tools!

Are you sure this isn’t a community plugin you have or something like that? I was unaware of this functionality and can’t make it do this even with the Lua Draggers disabled.