Scars Of War: Shattered Honor Devlog#3

Hey guys I’m back again with the third entry of my FPS game. Sorry it took so long to post another dev log but I’ve come back with good news, the first chapter will be coming out soon!! I’m planning on releasing each chapter at a specific interval but I’m not too sure which interval will be best for releasing games like this. I’ll make a poll at the end of the dev log so let’s get to what I’ve done so far.
I was able to make the menu for my game and it really turned out nice for me. I decided to implement cameras to the game for the different game modes; story and survival. I was also able to finally create the main character I’ll be using for the game, don’t know his name yet though(Funny how I have the whole story planned out but I still can’t decide on a name). Anyways here’s how he looks.

As I was scripting the game I realised something that may pose a real threat to the game… I don’t know how to build. At first I thought that when I reached this stage I would have earned some robux from commissions to hire someone, but I spent it on the gun system :man_facepalming:. Well there’s only one thing left to do… FREE MODELS :star_struck:
Yh I have to do with what I have but the clothing was made by me using customuse.
So here’s the result of everything put together

Video

Well that’s all I have for now. The first chapter will be coming out in July!!. Thanks for reading leave a like to show your support it really helps for someone like me who’s barely known.
Anyways see you next week!!

At what interval should I release my chapters
  • 4 days
  • 1 week
  • 2 weeks
  • other

0 voters

[Previous Devlog]Scars Of War: Shattered Honor Devlog#2

1 Like

Hello, Its been two months since I last posted any updates and I’m quite dissapointed in myself. I didn’t really prepare for what was ahead of me during these devlogs which were my college exams plus my laptop getting spoilt really took a lot out of me. But I’m back this time hoping to get some comments and feedback and ready to take this game to the next level. For now I’m making a game for a game jam so I can get funds to properly work on the things I can’t do e.g buildings and UI. I hope those that used to follow still give me the support I need. Those 2-5 like every devlog is the reason why I’m still working on this project. Also, I’m also thinking of posting further devlogs on this same posts and aslo giving you guys timestaps of my development, I would love to hear feedbacks, 1 like is enough to make someone smile

1 Like

Hey! I just saw this project for the first time today. I don’t know the full context of the project so I assume that it’s a war FPS campaign game.

Do you have a playable prototype of just a sample area with guns, movement, NPCs, etc.? Or a synopsis of the story? I’m curious about the story but I’m currently not sure what it is based on these past devlogs aside from something about war trauma.

Nothing wrong with using Free Models. I made a story-based game for a university class’s final last year where most of the props were Free Models. A lot the mood for a game like this relies more on the mood of your lighting, sky, and interesting design in the terrain / blocky terrain (if any). In your case, you’re probably aiming to make a moody game.

Since I don’t know the rest of your project aside from the title screen, most of my feedback below will be for the title screen (i.e. first impressions).

Regarding your title screen UI: Good job on the camera movement and overall dark orange color palette. I love dynamic UI that doesn’t neglect the camera, especially for a game that is more “cinematic” and moody, you’re using these techniques well.

I think that the explosion sounds in the title screen are a bit corny and doesn’t really blend in with the mood of the game. Having explosion sounds play this often and loud makes it comical, and there are also no explosions in the distance to give context to the sound. For explosion sounds like this, I would recommend setting the Reverb (SoundService - Ambient Reverb) of your Place and also make the explosion sounds more muffled to make them sound in the distance. Right now the sounds seem too “nearby” even though there are no nearby shells. The explosions should also happen less often. If you’re looping the sound, you can possibly set a delay between replays to prevent the sound from playing too much, too quickly.

Regarding the piano music, I think it might be too overdramatic and stereotypical for a “war trauma” themed story. I think you might want to use a more subtle soundtrack, such as an ambient or low guitar soundtrack, or maybe even a slower piano soundtrack. There is a surprising amount of quality music in Roblox’s library but it may take some digging to find a more fitting, subtler mood so you may need to do strange searches. For example, I’m working on a moody game currently and I ended up using “Space” music because it has the subtle ambient feeling and haunting guitar echoes that I want. That is just a suggestion though.

For lighting and post-processing effects, the apocalyptic hot orange can pair well with a Depth of Field or Blur effects that you can dynamically Tween the intensities of. This will give an “apocalyptic war haze” or “vertigo” feeling, especially in the middle of an active battlefield. Dust on the screen (i.e. GUI) or large dust particles can also help with this effect when paired together.

Once again, good work with the camera movement. I have respect for projects that don’t neglect the camera like this. Small details such as the metal bullets on the floor and other metallic details can be helped with a Bloom effect, or simply a change in the location and direction of the sun in order to create highlight points (these will be seen best with Future Is Bright lighting from my experience though). In my illustrations, I work a lot with rendering metal armor and weapons, and one of the most intriguing details to me is the bright white shine on sharp tips or cylindrical parts. You can potentially play with that to make your title screen shots more eye-catching.

For the UI look itself, I can’t give in depth feedback currently since you will need to do your research and find what inspires you most. But my first impression is that the buttons are too cartoony for the type of game you are making, so you may want to find more militaristic or subtle UI styles. Game UI Database is a good place to start for finding references.

Thanks for the feedback this really helps a lot in improving the game, Everything you said from lighting to music has really enlightened as I don’t know too much about these concepts. As for the story I will be going more in depth to the story as I continue the development.

1 Like